Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cable to block phantom?  (Read 16177 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: cable to block phantom?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2007, 10:06:25 AM »
Brian,

Did you ever find a solution for this?

I just had this problem the other day. I plugged directly into someone's bass amp (they all seem to have built in DIs these days, direct outs), but I wanted to use a fourth mic and got paranoid that if I turned on phantom, it'd fry the guy's bass amp? I kind of doubt it considering the whole point of that direct out of the bass is to negate the need for a DI isn't it? So, I'd think it was designed to plug into a snake, etc., that might very well have phantom running down it (although most SBDs let you turn that off I guess, but some snake boxes are self powered aren't they?).

Anyway, if I could find an inline phantom-blocking adapter, seems like that'd have been the safest thing to use, but I can't seem to find anything like that on the web and this thread never posted a resolution except for homemade (which isn't something I'm capable of, lol)?

Unless someone could tell me that the direct outs on all bass amps will block phantom and not fry? I do that trick all the time, and yes I know it's a dry signal, but I get plenty of wet bass off my main stereo pair when I do this trick (for acoustic jazz recording).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 11:59:30 AM »
Seems like transformer isolated splitter box is the way to go.  The cheap ones have low quality transformers, the expensive ones obviously high quality.  Most of the advice recommended staying away from the cheapos, and I didn't pursue it further.  However, never actually listened to a lower end transformer isolated splitter box, so I don't know the audible impact of the lower quality transformers.

Perhaps one of our TS tinkerers / retailers could make a good quality transformer isolated splitter box at a decent price point, dunno.  I'm thinking Church or Busman, though I'm sure there are others.  Chris and I actually talked about it a bit, but I neglected to follow-up.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2007, 12:10:27 PM »
Wow, this is absolutely fascinating, seriously.  I don't really follow it, but it makes me sure of one thing, that I, along with each of you, am a complete, utter and hopeless NERD!!!
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline rdfager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2007, 02:36:15 PM »
I've had this problem too.  Add me to the list of people who would buy one if someone comes up with a reasonably priced inline device to remove phantom power.
Josephson c42mp & Avenson STO-2 > Busman Tmod R4

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2007, 02:45:09 PM »
What's wrong with just a series capacitor in both the hot and cold leads?
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2007, 10:14:50 PM »
Does anyone know the answer to my other question? Anyone have any experience with the direct out capabilities of newish bass amps? I got to think they block phantom just like a DI would don't you think? I guess I'm just not willing to risk frying someone's amp to find out, LOL.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2007, 10:17:32 AM »
I looked through a few random user manuals for bass amps/heads last night, and the funny thing was that although they pretty much all had direct outs, they pretty much all were XLR out, and they pretty much all described it as a "built in DI," none explicitly said they'd block phantom. But all DIs block phantom right?

I guess the only really safe thing to do is to bring my own DI for these cases, but it's not only easier to just plug into the amp, but it also doesn't require putting my gear in the musicians chain -- not everyone is going to like that cause my cheap DI could color their sound, not to mention fail or something, causing problems for the performance. Whereas when I plug in directly, there's no chance of any of that.

I wonder if I could do something like this:

XLR-to-1/4" adapter > DI > XLR > R4

But the DI would be expecting unbalanced on the bass side, and in that scenario I'd be feeding it a balanced signal wouldn't I? Or could I do that if the XLR-to-1/4" was wired appropriately. Sorry, I don't know enough about the technical side of this to know any better...

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2007, 01:28:03 PM »
A normal XLR to 1/4 adapter will not block phantom power.  It just sends the XLR hot to the 1/4 tip and XLR ground to the 1/4 ring.  The XLR cold is not connected.  So, if you have 48 V on the XLR hot and 0 V on ground, you end up with 48 V between the 1/4's tip and ring.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2007, 03:04:58 PM »
A normal XLR to 1/4 adapter will not block phantom power.  It just sends the XLR hot to the 1/4 tip and XLR ground to the 1/4 ring.  The XLR cold is not connected.  So, if you have 48 V on the XLR hot and 0 V on ground, you end up with 48 V between the 1/4's tip and ring.

But he is talking about using the XLR > 1/4" TS to run into a DI box.  the DI box would block the power.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2007, 11:19:12 PM »

But he is talking about using the XLR > 1/4" TS to run into a DI box.  the DI box would block the power.

Yes, exactly. And as you said before, I guess taking that balanced XLR out of the bass amp and adapting it to 1/4" TRS (that's the cable I already have) and then sticking that 1/4" TRS into the input of the DI will still work? I ask cause I'm kind of clueless about this, I do know that typically you'd be putting an unbalanced 1/4" into the input of the DI. In a way it's like I'd be going DI > DI > R4 (yuk). But from what you said earlier, sounds like I probably don't have to worry about frying the direct out of the bass amp anyway?

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2007, 12:22:45 AM »
I don't know the configuration of the bass amp's output, but if it's using an output transformer, it shouldn't mind the phantom powering. If not, you might consider some of the toys on http://www.jensentransformers.com/iso_aud.html. Jensen transformers are among the best available anywhere. Pamper your signals a little ...

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2007, 11:22:07 AM »
Seems like transformer isolated splitter box is the way to go.  The cheap ones have low quality transformers, the expensive ones obviously high quality.  Most of the advice recommended staying away from the cheapos, and I didn't pursue it further.  However, never actually listened to a lower end transformer isolated splitter box, so I don't know the audible impact of the lower quality transformers.

Perhaps one of our TS tinkerers / retailers could make a good quality transformer isolated splitter box at a decent price point, dunno.  I'm thinking Church or Busman, though I'm sure there are others.  Chris and I actually talked about it a bit, but I neglected to follow-up.

I will build you a transfomer isolated input if you need it let me know.

BTW there was mention of a "bass amp" what is this all about?

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2007, 03:02:43 PM »
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com