Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158614 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #525 on: September 04, 2022, 09:50:02 PM »
I do not think this even comes close to working.  I have the Apple adapter for feeding an iPhone (using Apogee Metarecorder to do the recording) with a signal out of a Sonosax SX M2D2, and it is very good for this.  But the DPA MMA-A is another animal, and most of the standard micro-USB to Lightning cables simply don't work.  Using the DPA micro-usb to lightning cable (or the micro-usb to USB-A cable that also comes with the MMA-A for PC devices) through the camera adapter won't even pass an audio signal from the MMA-A to the DPA app, as far as I can tell.  A  power source hooked to the Apple adapter will charge the phone, but I can't record at all with it and the MMA-A.

I have tried the following at home (not live in the field) and it seems to work very well.  Earlier this year a crowd funded project for the Futurizta Pixy Go delivered to me a wireless charging phone power pack, I got the smaller 5000 mAh version which weighs in at just over 4 oz.  The tech guys at Apogee wrote me that they saw no reason why a wireless charger for the cell iPhone should in any way interfere with the operation of the Metarecorder app.  I have just run the recorder for 14 hours with the Pixy Go active, it ran down the power pack all the way and left about 40% charge level on my phone (I usually can get around 10-11 hours recording), so the projected length I am good for with this is about 17 hours; of course, I intend to get a spare Pixy Go, which will be overkill until I upgrade my iPhone to a newer version with more internal memory to record to!

I have examined the files recorded in iZotope RX9 and see no signs of any hum induced by wireless induction from the Pixy Go.  Just the expected room background noise that DPA 4060s pick up in other tests.  I am not yet sure how stable this will be live, but when I need the extra milage I'll be checking it out.

Jeff

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #526 on: October 02, 2022, 01:28:32 AM »
Has anyone tried to record audio with metarecorder or other app with the d:vice to iPhone while simultaneously recording video?
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

mountainhop

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #527 on: October 04, 2022, 06:14:52 PM »
Has anyone tried to record audio with metarecorder or other app with the d:vice to iPhone while simultaneously recording video?

works for me. ive seen some unpredictable level stuff showing one channel in metarecorder at times, but following this procedure works for me

1. start metarecorder, make sure it is recording dvaice audio in stereo
2. switch to camera and run video

result is the video has a stereo track as well as metarecorder writing the same audio track. havent looked to see if the audio on the video track is AAC, but i would imagine it is. definitely stereo and definitely not pulling thru phone mic

mountainhop

« Reply #528 on: October 04, 2022, 09:22:10 PM »
im wondering why people are struggling trying to charge while using the d:vice. even the smallest phones get 6+ hours and you can buy locked and blacklisted phones on ebay and other placed in very good condition for well under $100. for the cost and all the hassle of the battery and cable setups you could buy a dedicated (or second) phone

the older ones still have headphone jacks as well

replacing the batteries on these is micro-surgery but the batteries are like $10

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #529 on: October 05, 2022, 12:14:27 AM »

works for me. ive seen some unpredictable level stuff showing one channel in metarecorder at times, but following this procedure works for me

1. start metarecorder, make sure it is recording dvaice audio in stereo
2. switch to camera and run video

result is the video has a stereo track as well as metarecorder writing the same audio track. havent looked to see if the audio on the video track is AAC, but i would imagine it is. definitely stereo and definitely not pulling thru phone mic

Thanks for the confirmation. Curious that you only get one audio source, but I did wonder if the phone had enough processing power to record separate audio and video files. When I used QT to extract audio from the video, m4a is the file extension (AAC).

I'm used to going to $25 indie shows, but if we go to another arena show, it would be nice to come back with audio and at least some video. We've watched the clips on our TV/stereo a couple of times now, and it is cool to see the smile on my son's face.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 10:35:53 PM by Massive Dynamic »
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline mountainhop

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #530 on: October 12, 2022, 09:22:58 AM »
i was able to get the d:vice to successfully power (1) neumann KK14 with a minor cabling mod

not that i doubt it wouldnt work with two, i just dont have the cabling setup to do so yet, but should have a full custom setup for two (bench-worthy at least) within a week or so, waiting on parts.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 10:18:03 AM by mountainhop »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #531 on: October 14, 2022, 11:23:51 AM »
i was able to get the d:vice to successfully power (1) neumann KK14 with a minor cabling mod

not that i doubt it wouldnt work with two, i just dont have the cabling setup to do so yet, but should have a full custom setup for two (bench-worthy at least) within a week or so, waiting on parts.

Good work! 
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #532 on: October 14, 2022, 11:57:10 AM »
Anyone have a used one they are looking to sell?

Offline scottE

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #533 on: December 08, 2022, 03:08:42 PM »
Wondering if this will work with the d:VICE and a pair of SP microphones ?

3.5mm Jack to Dual Microdot Male L+R Channel 1FT for DPA Stereo MIC Preamplifier

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175486971573
SP-BMC-12
SP-SPSB-6

PCM-A10
Edirol R-09HR

Iphone + SC6-L+OKM

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com