Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-60D - 4 Channel recorder  (Read 112748 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-60D - 4 Channel recorder
« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2014, 08:03:33 AM »
Great idea ozpeter on running to the m10
I can do that/this
Mics > tb >
1) m10 > r300
2) dr60d (camera out) > r300
3) dr60d (line out) > m10
All at once, using the exact same cables on each connection
Ill then switch 2 and 3 outs

I didn't try headphone out but line out had the same issue as camera out
Not sure on the high pitch sound. I believe it could be coming from my comp, the mics where inches away from it and it tends to make some weird sounds as its old
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #151 on: March 01, 2014, 08:06:26 AM »
The specs on the Camera out are odd - and not a line level...
Maybe they just pad the line level down to mic level - and the pad blows(ie doesnt work right!)?

Camera Out

Output impedance    200 ohms
Standard output level    -50dBV
Maximum output level    -30dBV

vs the Line Out

Standard output level    -10dBV
Maximum output level    +10dBV

Offline willndmb

« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2014, 08:27:29 AM »
The specs on the Camera out are odd - and not a line level...
Maybe they just pad the line level down to mic level - and the pad blows(ie doesnt work right!)?

Camera Out

Standard output level    -50dBV
Maximum output level    -30dBV

vs the Line Out

Standard output level    -10dBV
Maximum output level    +10dBV
yes, it is ment to be knocked down to go direct to a camera
The line out, as expected, was much stronger

Ps the battery cover is junk too
It just barely hooks on and can be removed with the slightest of touch. I highly recommend putting gaff tape over the release/catch
Otherwise I find the build quality to be good
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:29:12 AM by willndmb »
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline willndmb

« Reply #153 on: March 01, 2014, 01:58:29 PM »
i just did a ton more home testing andddd
I found out that most of the hiss is from the camcorder itself
I determent this by going out to the m10 as well. The m10 recordings from the dr60d do not have as much hiss
the dr60d is adding a lot more to it especially when going camera out vs line out

I am not sure if the m10 just outputs a better/hotter signal or what but the m10 > camcorder sounds fine when there is any type of noise, on silence you hear hiss but not as bad as going from the dr60d > camcorder
the dr60d is not only adding noise but it does't output a loud enough signal to cover up the noise where the m10 seems to be doing that

here is a sample, you will hear the noise then the m10 will "cover it"
the sample with the dr60d follows and you hear it doesn't "cover" the noise

bottom line for me is that its going back
I have no use for 4 track recording vs my naiant box/m10 combos and the outs do not do anything productive as far as video work goes (at least with my canons).
If I have to synch in post I pref the m10 over the dr60d sound anyway so there is no added value
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:12:22 PM by willndmb »

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2014, 06:13:11 PM »
I determent this by going out to the m10 as well. The m10 recordings from the dr60d do not have as much hiss
the dr60d is adding a lot more to it especially when going camera out vs line out

I am not sure if the m10 just outputs a better/hotter signal or what but the m10 > camcorder sounds fine when there is any type of noise, on silence you hear hiss but not as bad as going from the dr60d > camcorder
the dr60d is not only adding noise but it does't output a loud enough signal to cover up the noise where the m10 seems to be doing that

I have no use for 4 track recording vs my naiant box/m10 combos and the outs do not do anything productive as far as video work goes (at least with my canons).
If I have to synch in post I pref the m10 over the dr60d sound anyway so there is no added value

I hear a nasty buzz on the M10 sample, but just white noise on the Dr60.

Do your Canon cameras have manual audio level control or are you stuck with auto control ? , some way of overriding auto
level control is essential to get useable results from DSLR camras. That is why double system sound is so popular.

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline willndmb

« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2014, 07:46:56 PM »

I hear a nasty buzz on the M10 sample, but just white noise on the Dr60.

Do your Canon cameras have manual audio level control or are you stuck with auto control ? , some way of overriding auto
level control is essential to get useable results from DSLR camras. That is why double system sound is so popular.
they have both
i'll double check the settings
i would love to have made mistake and figure out a reason to keep this box

edit - mic in on manual
mic attenuator on automatic, but doesn't kick in because i adjust the levels to be peaking between -12 and -3
has auto mix too where you can mix the external mix input with the built in mic - thats on off which then only uses the external mic
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 07:52:17 PM by willndmb »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2014, 08:08:06 PM »
Trew Audio posted that some customers reported similar problems with their DSLR cameras using output from the 60d.  They later posted that this was solved with later production units.  https://www.trewaudio.com/audioflow/tascam-dr-60d-problem-solved/

I don't see that they ever posted which serial nos. reflect early production units.....

Offline willndmb

« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2014, 08:59:04 PM »
Trew Audio posted that some customers reported similar problems with their DSLR cameras using output from the 60d.  They later posted that this was solved with later production units.  https://www.trewaudio.com/audioflow/tascam-dr-60d-problem-solved/

I don't see that they ever posted which serial nos. reflect early production units.....
good news
part, well basically all, of the issue was my splitter
i decided to run some more tests based on questions and comments
and this time the m10 version was worse so i started switching cables and everything around and found that the splitter had one out that was bad
there is still some hiss but it goes away/covered up whatever when feed this song sample
canon r300 set on manual level 30, dr60d set on camera out at 7
levels staying around -10 with peaks at -6 (maybe not this exact sample but in general)

this might be a keeper after all for going direct into camcorder, which I am pleased about

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2014, 05:46:36 PM »
Looking more carefully, the hiss in the sample I posted is because the camera was still set to auto gain.  Setting the Tascam 60d camera out to 10 and the camera's manual gain to about 13, I have to listen carefully listen to detect any hiss.  The hiss in my camcorder audio sample was due to my own user error. 

Offline willndmb

« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »
Looking more carefully, the hiss in the sample I posted is because the camera was still set to auto gain.  Setting the Tascam 60d camera out to 10 and the camera's manual gain to about 13, I have to listen carefully listen to detect any hiss.  The hiss in my camcorder audio sample was due to my own user error.
thats good too then
I'm glad there was people interested enough to keep asking me questions and stuff or I wouldn't have figured out my issue

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2014, 12:28:08 PM »
^^ Glad to hear these issues are being rooted out.  Thanks for all the testing you're doing.  Very appreciated!

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2014, 06:17:32 PM »
Just got the DR-60D. I'm at work, so I can't really test it out here. I like the size!

Have you guys tried to remove the silver plastic handle bars? What are these things for aside from looks?! I saw a review online where the person reported that one of the handle bars broke by just normal manipulation in his gear bag. I might try to do some preventative modding to make sure that doesn't happen. I'll report back if it's possible.

I think I may need one.

The 60D is neck-hangable, if that's handy for you, unlike most.
you can also remove the top mount fast and easy with a flat head screwdriver of prob even a coin
That would knock the size down a half inch prob
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »
OK, the little silver bars come off, just in case you might be paranoid about these things snapping. Then again, I wonder if Tascam can send a replacement. It looks like you can easily replace the silver part out .
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2014, 08:39:28 PM »
I think the bars are there to enable you to put the thing down on its face (if you want, or by accident) and to provide a strap attachment point if you want to wear it on your chest.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #164 on: March 03, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »
I think the bars are there to enable you to put the thing down on its face (if you want, or by accident) and to provide a strap attachment point if you want to wear it on your chest.
pretty much
It's for a shoulder strap and to help protect the face if you where to tip it over or something

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com