Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24 > 16 dithering artifacts?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
24 > 16 dithering artifacts?
« on: November 16, 2005, 07:55:57 PM »
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=68746

-------------------------------
#776143 by ethiessen1 at 2005-11-16 01:28:50 GMT
   rlouk asked :  It has plenty of presence but I'm hearing some pops, is it my computer or is it in the source recording?

One of the byproducts of 24 bit to 16 bit dithering on a PC (I've used Goldwave) can be some pops throughout the recording-I'm told this is due to insufficient resources-ie cpu of the system...
-------------------------------

b0gus?

Offline THE NIZ BIAAAAACH!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mr T don't partake in no sombrero activities!
Re: 24 > 16 dithering artifacts?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 08:17:18 PM »
It is possible that what you are hearing is bits that are usually contained in low level pasages of music were there are insuffiecient bit depth to dither correctly.  (correct me if I'm wrong guys)  This is the point of adding a noise to the recording such as apogee does during there uv22 process.  When there are insuffiecient bits to dither down a noise is created, this can be a small pop or crackle, when you add almost inadible noise to the recording you are increasing bit depth, there for giving the dithering program the information it needs in order to process the sound.  Try dithering in a program that gives you different options of ditheriing algorythms, to see if it makes a difference.  You must however, start with the original file 24bit, once a file has been dithered you can not reverse the process.
mk21+mk4>kc5>cmc6>portico 5012>722
24\96 in your ass bitches!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com