Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best entry level shotgun mic?  (Read 6054 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Best entry level shotgun mic?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 02:10:10 PM »
I had an interesting conversation with a friend the other day ...

He is the Chief Engineer at Sennheiser UK and suggested a reason for why the MKH 416 is still so popular, despite the MKH 60 and MKH 8060 being much better.

He suggested that it may be due to the nasty (in copmparison) off-axis response of the 416 in comparison to the others - so when you are booming a 416 it is easier to keep on target as the sound gets nastier as you go off-axis, whereas with the 60 and 8060 the sound just gets a bit quieter.

Interestinmg ...
Interesting take.
I have recently been using shotguns for concert recording, especially in cases when I am at the back of the room.  "Point at stacks" gives clear PA sound, and both quieter and more muffled sound from those near the mics.  Harder to hear specific conversations nearby, which is usually a good thing :)
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 02:39:40 PM »
John, I think there may really be something to what your friend told you. When the talent moves off-axis, the boom operator has to react very quickly; with experience, I think one's reaction could become almost automatic.

Whereas if you need to be paying full attention at all times, using your conscious mind in order to detect a problem, your responses will be far slower, and more dependent on how much sleep you got the night before.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 09:25:10 AM »
Interesting.  More feature than bug for the intended application, albeit unintentionally.

Imagining a new microphone design intended for booming that leverages this via two outputs:
1) A tight-focus response monitor output with obvious response change off-axs.
2) An improved response output to recorder with smoother pattern behavior.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »
I prefer the 60 to the 416 because of the smoother off axis response. In the event you do miss a beat, it is a lot easier in post to deal with a level change than a frequency response change.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com