Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iZotope Rx 7  (Read 54192 times)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: iZotope Rx 7
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2020, 08:27:59 PM »
Any tips for removing PA hum/noise in RX7? I’ve tried de-hum but it just killed the dynamics. Taped Tim O’Brien at a church and clearly, a church quality PA was the culprit.

Thanks!

I ended up using spectral de-noise rather than de-hum in a similar situation. Key is to find a couple seconds when there isn't music, just the hum, and train the module on that.

+1 to this.  You want some clean "room tone".  I believe the minimum noise profile needs to be 0.1 seconds, but the the more you have to choose from, the better.

I always use the "Highest Quality" preset, and start with the Level at 6.0 and incrementally adjust up or down from there as needed.  I have found that to be a good starting point.

It is essential that you let your ears be your guide with this tool.  After training with your noise profile, switch between Preview and Bypass to make sure nothing is being negatively affected.  Also Preview with "Output Noise Only" and make sure you only hear noise.  If you hear any musical tones coming through (listen to the bass especially) then either you did not get a clean profile, your reduction level is too high, or both.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2020, 01:14:16 AM »
Wondering if anyone has had success with 'Find similar event'?

I've tried multiple times with whistles that appear quite similar visually, no love.

Tips?
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2020, 11:34:58 AM »
I am sure that all of these questions will be answered in the book "Audio Restoration with iZotope RX 7," which was announced almost two years ago (before iZotope had even announced RX 7) and which prompted me to begin this thread.  Although the Amazon listing for the book back then showed its cover design, the number of pages and a detailed contents, the book is still a phantom.  I recently found a projected publication date of May 15, 2020 on line at Presto Books, but the publisher, Hal Leonard, no longer seems to list it.  Anybody have any ideas about what is going on here?

Online voltronic

« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2020, 06:07:38 PM »
I am sure that all of these questions will be answered in the book "Audio Restoration with iZotope RX 7," which was announced almost two years ago (before iZotope had even announced RX 7) and which prompted me to begin this thread.  Although the Amazon listing for the book back then showed its cover design, the number of pages and a detailed contents, the book is still a phantom.  I recently found a projected publication date of May 15, 2020 on line at Presto Books, but the publisher, Hal Leonard, no longer seems to list it.  Anybody have any ideas about what is going on here?

The book is "Currently Unavailable" with no in-stock date on Amazon US:
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Restoration-iZotope-RX-7/dp/1540024830/

Amazon UK states a May 15 release:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Restoration-iZotope-RX-7/dp/1540024830
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2020, 09:07:07 AM »
Yeah nothing I ever do would seem to suggest 'find and replace' would work, so I never try.  Each incident is pretty custom in selection. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2020, 09:24:41 PM »
Now that we're all spending lots of time indoors, it got me thinking: I have an old DAT recording that I managed to accidentally enable auto level control on. I was right in front of the stacks with Core Sound Binaurals. Just imagine how overloaded that sounds.

Would RX7 have any possible tools to help resurrect this?
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2020, 09:34:37 PM »
like most tools its garbage in garbage out. it may be able to improve it a little but if the source material is really egregious, dont expect miracles
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2020, 11:12:38 PM »
like most tools its garbage in garbage out. it may be able to improve it a little but if the source material is really egregious, dont expect miracles

Not expecting miracles but would love to know if anybody's got some quick tips for trying it out?  It was the only time the band reunited and played full set with many songs not played live by that lineup ever again.

Realize it's GIGO but hoping there might be some room for improvement.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2020, 07:37:19 PM »
Will RX 7 remove feedback from a recording? I made a sbd recording back in '03 of a single vocalist and his guitar with a ~1 sec. burst of feedback. This is the only live recording of this song I'm aware of. Would be nice to get it repaired.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Online voltronic

« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2020, 01:51:59 PM »
Will RX 7 remove feedback from a recording? I made a sbd recording back in '03 of a single vocalist and his guitar with a ~1 sec. burst of feedback. This is the only live recording of this song I'm aware of. Would be nice to get it repaired.

You might have some luck with Spectral Repair, but it's hard to say for sure because every situation is different.

If you don't own RX yet and are wondering if it's worth it, I'm sure there are people here with some extra free time on their hands and would be willing to give this a shot for you if you shared the offending excerpt.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2020, 08:52:15 AM »
I've had great luck removing spots of feedback with Spectral Repair.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2020, 06:34:50 PM »
I've had great luck removing spots of feedback with Spectral Repair.

Me too, had a run of shows where lead guitarist's glasses bounced sound from his wedge into his vocal mic 20 times a show. Excised them entirely with no articfacting.

Perfect use of spectral repair.

Recordings at LMA

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2020, 07:38:52 PM »
Soo, playing with trying de-bleed for removing audience noise. Blasted home stereo with 1 mk41 pointed forward, the other rearward and down, and whooped, yelled, etc.

Loaded into rx7, used the rearward for debleed source, and... removed a lot of music, and not enough yelling.

Back in audacity I gated the rearward to get just the crap, and debleed with that didn't work well either.

Now wondering if maybe I should take that gated track, invert, and sum with forward facing track.

Thoughts?

I may or may not have too much time on my hands...

Recordings at LMA

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2020, 08:02:21 PM »
Soo, playing with trying de-bleed for removing audience noise. Blasted home stereo with 1 mk41 pointed forward, the other rearward and down, and whooped, yelled, etc.

Loaded into rx7, used the rearward for debleed source, and... removed a lot of music, and not enough yelling.

Back in audacity I gated the rearward to get just the crap, and debleed with that didn't work well either.

Now wondering if maybe I should take that gated track, invert, and sum with forward facing track.

Thoughts?

I may or may not have too much time on my hands...

The lasso tool works great on whistles, whoops and hollers but you have to do one at a time and it is time consuming.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2020, 11:13:45 AM »
How should I deal with whistles that are highly variable in pitch? I've tried to give it the smallest amount of attenuation necessary but it still sound like it has a modulation "phase" issue. I'm not sure what the correct term is.

Whistle is at 53:27 - This is after my "fix"

https://imgur.com/a/sXTmzq1
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com