Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 32 Bit Float files... How do you archive them?  (Read 9180 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: 32 Bit Float files... How do you archive them?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 01:27:47 PM »
to the bold, i would hope so, but idk if audacity does.

Not sure how much dithering when truncating to 24bit actually matters if the noise floor of the recording is well above the 24 bit truncation depth.  Whatever the noise floor, normalizing raises it by the same amount as it raises the signal, so there should remain plenty of dynamic range room available for both.

Similar conversation going on presently on page 2 of this thread- 48 KHz vs 44.1 KHz sample rate
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 02:30:58 PM »
When I use Audacity, I have it set to NOT copy files into the project directory. I point my Audacity sessions to the relevant file inside my "Digital-Audio-Originals-FOLDER"
Saving the Audacity projects does't require much drive space, unless there are processed versions stored.

If I were recording lots of channels in polywav, I would consider naming the tracks in the recorder so that the polywav had tracks named for their sources.
I believe this can all be typed in to a SD mixpre by using a mobile device, paired via bluetooth using the Wingman app.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 02:54:16 PM »
I do that with the F8, and get a little smile when I glance at the meters.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 03:11:27 PM »
I do that with the F8, and get a little smile when I glance at the meters.

This blew my mind...I didn't know it's possible.  I'll have to dig into the F8 manual to investigate.   :o
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 09:14:00 AM »
I use Foobar2000 to convert my 32fp/48k WAVs to FLAC.  Never an issue.

I just tried this again and my flac is a 24bit file!  I tried output bit depth on auto and on 32bit.  Dither is set to never.  Both settings resulted in a 24bit file from my original 32bit float.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 11:37:05 AM »
Wavpack.That can handle floating point wavs.

can this do flac?  playing around with it and it compressed to .wv with no option for flac.  googling and reading up now but haven't found anything yet.

Easy enough to just convert to .wv though.  I tested by converting a 32bf stereo file and then converted back to wav.  audio properties are identical!  now to test a poly wav...

edit:  works perfect on poly wav as well!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:03:58 PM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2022, 06:51:49 PM »
I know, I'm late to this party as well, but I just ran into this again recently, and as this thread popped up in an unrelated search, I figured I'd see if I could learn something here.

Ever since the 32-craze took hold, it's been a little confusing to me - and a few others, it seems.
My lathe-cutting studio is pretty lo-fi / old school, and I'm a few years older than I used to be, and fumbling through a ton of "floating point" discussions everywhere I go these days, hasn't cleared up anything for me. At best, it sounds like something I probably don't need?

I forget how far back it was, but at some point, certain apps simply started identifying whatever I put into them as 32 bit floating point.

On both my Mac and PC, the last install I did for VLC has gone the 32-bit route, so if I'm hoping to identify the file, all it's going to clarify is the Sample Rate (44100, 48 or 96kHz). Bits Per Sample always comes up as 32.

For the purposes of trying to identify what the files are, so I can save them as .flac files, I've been trying several methods, with varied results.

On the PC, both Sound Forge and CDWave will call out the bitrate as either 16 or 24 bits - well, at least if I'm the one who recorded the files, or the person I got them from identified them as such. Also on the PC, if I try to find out what the file is in Traders Little Helper, the "Show Audio File Details" feature rejects them with an "unsupported format" error message. Even looking up Properties in Foobar just tells me that Bits Per Sample : 32.

On the Mac, however, XLD is what I use for tagging files, etc. Trying to even open a 32-bit file in XLD results in an error message: Selected output format does not support input format. So it seems that I do need to be able to convert into something XLD can recognize and work with, which is the main reason I'd like to identify all these 32-bit files in the first place. 9 out 10 times, if I ask the person who sent me the files, they won't have a clue, and if I try to explain any of this to them, they genuinely seem to have no idea what I'm talking about. I don't know why this is the situation, but it is what it is, I guess.

Well, I *hope* I'm not resurrecting this thread for nothing, or that I'm not off-topic, so I don't get scolded or whatever, but if I'm ion more or less the right place, and someone else may have figured out a method of just being able identify 32-float files as what they really might be in terms of bitrate, that could help with the occasional filesets that some to me that way. I suppose it's *possible* that whoever sends me these types of files may have things set that way, but if that were the case, than it seems they would know what I'm talking about when I try to sort it out with them.

Thanks in advance for any help - if there is any!

:shrug:

I use Foobar2000 to convert my 32fp/48k WAVs to FLAC.  Never an issue.

I just tried this again and my flac is a 24bit file!  I tried output bit depth on auto and on 32bit.  Dither is set to never.  Both settings resulted in a 24bit file from my original 32bit float.
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2022, 01:44:19 AM »
I forget how far back it was, but at some point, certain apps simply started identifying whatever I put into them as 32 bit floating point.
Once imported, Audacity seems to display all files at the selected bit depth setting, chosen via Audacity > Preferences > Quality > Default Sample Format

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com