Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mackie XDR Preamps...  (Read 1982 times)

Offline saysiadog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mackie XDR Preamps...
« on: March 31, 2008, 09:10:54 AM »
I'm just wondering if anyone has done a comparison between some of the more popular portable preamps (V2/3, Sonosax,) vs. XDR preamps that are onboard Mackie mixers.  This is probably a bad question based on the price difference alone, but I'm wondering if portability/durablity of the field preamps is part of what drives the price up.  I'm on a budget for now and was considering getting a Mackie 402 or 802 for matrix recordings.  I'm doing this for a friends band and will be running 2 AT3035's as room mics blended with the soundboard feed.  It's seems to me that the 402 would accomplish what I'm trying to achieve.  I think I know the answer to question, but is the difference night and day.

Also, if I opt for the 802 I will have 3 preamps available.  Would it be possible to run an on-stage omni along with the 3035 room mics and board feed.  If so, would the end result be better than just running the 3035's and board feed.  Sorry if this seems confusing.  I'm fairly new at this...

Thanks in advance for any responses I get! 

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Mackie XDR Preamps...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 06:12:34 PM »
Grace and Sonosax world apart from Mackie, Although on other forums people have said Mackies pres are do-able as long as you don't push them too hard, as they tend to sound gritty.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline saysiadog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Mackie XDR Preamps...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 09:18:10 PM »
Thanks for the response!  I appreciate it!  I bought a Mackie 402 VLZ-3.  I'll provide feedback when I get a chance to get out and use it. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com