Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio Taping Question  (Read 3274 times)

Offline LukinFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Audio Taping Question
« on: April 06, 2008, 06:04:50 PM »
I'm a first time poster- I was directed to this forum from the Red Mosquito.

Okay, I'm going to a couple of upcoming shows on the East Coast Pearl Jam Tour- WPB and Bonnaroo- and I was planning on making an audio recording of both shows. All that I have is a small, hand-held cassette recorder that takes standard cassettes tapes, but how would I transfer it to CD or mp3? Is there something else that I should be using? I'm open to suggestions.

I have taped maybe 8-10 shows before on this recorder, but I seldom listen to them because they are only on cassette.

Thanks!

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Audio Taping Question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 07:41:03 PM »
Welcome!

I love me some Pearl Jam.

Handheld Cassette recorders with built in mics are obviously not the most ideal thing.  That being said, if you are happy with the results, continue using it!   Do you have a decent computer?  If so that is how you transfer to mp3 or CD(wav format)...  There might be a line-input on your computr, if so you are set!  you will need a program like CD wave editor.  It can record the audio you are sending from the cassetee player to the line-in on the computer.

There are recorders that record directly to wav(cd format) or mp3.  This is much easier.  There are many recording options and taperssection is the place to learn more.  You need to do your own homework IMO, so check out the "where to start" threads here and read, read, read....

This is a fun hobby, enjoy!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

nameloc01

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:06:54 PM »
At least the cassette recorder with built in mics conforms to PJs taping policy.

:p

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:32:50 AM »
There are recorders that record directly to wav (cd format) or mp3.  This is much easier.  There are many recording options and taperssection is the place to learn more.  You need to do your own homework IMO, so check out the "where to start" threads here and read, read, read....

Of course, if you're serious in the long run, full resolution WAV is the way to go, but even starter 16/44 rigs go for a few hundred bucks, which might be steep for someone just trying out taping occasionally.

If you're on a zero budget, pick up an MD recorder to wet your feet. Big improvement in clarity compared to analog tape, without costing you an arm and a leg.

Examples:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320236975367
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230240118243
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:42:39 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline LukinFan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 03:42:29 PM »
Cool- thanks!  Sorry, I have one more question, if I went with the mini disc route- which seems reasonable, how would I transfer the mini disc to regular CD or into mp3 format?

I have no experience in the mini disc.  Are they expensive to buy?  Easy to find in the stores?

Thanks again for everyones help!

nameloc01

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »
You honestly would be better buying a used HI-MD rather than a used (old) md that records in lossy format. The HI-MDs record in lossless WAV. They are going to run more money but it will save you from wanted to upgrade the day after you record your  first show.I've never looked into biuying used HI-MDs but I'd imagine you'd be able to pick a less costly SONY model from anywhere between 150-$200. That may be a little higher than you wanted to spend,but at the same time its something you'll be able to use for quite a while and get good results. Look for a SONY mz-rh10 or SONY mz-rh910. 

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 04:23:18 PM »
You could go to a solid state recorder like the Zoom H2 for about $200, and then you just need to get batteries and a SD card. (The Energizer Rechargables are quite good once they're conditioned through a few charge-discharge cycles, and SDHC chips are getting cheaper and cheaper). The H2 records in WAV format and plugs into the computer via USB cable.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/index.php
I'm fairly happy with mine, the internal mics are quite decent, though I've never taped anything REALLY loud with them.

Here's a sample with the built-ins:
http://www.archive.org/details/LMO2007-12-19
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

nameloc01

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 04:33:12 PM »
Built in mics are good for "selling points" but arent worth a shit for stealth recording. Its just not feasible...the only time I would even attempt using them would be in an "absolute last resort" situation. You are going to need a set of outboard mics, probably cardiods, a battery box and a recorder if you want to get a recording anywhere near decent. That's just how it is.

Offline LukinFan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 08:44:26 PM »
Cool, thanks again everyone.  I guess when I saw that the MD player was only $5-$6, I got pretty stoked- now it looks like it's going to be a bit more

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 09:55:19 PM »
how much money do you have to spend?

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 02:59:29 AM »
Built in mics are good for "selling points" but arent worth a shit for stealth recording.
Pearl Jam is "stealth only" now??
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 03:26:25 AM »
You honestly would be better buying a used HI-MD rather than a used (old) md that records in lossy format. The HI-MDs record in lossless WAV. 

If you have the money, I agree with nameloc. You can find a Hi-MD recorder on ebay for as little as $90 (used). With Hi-MD you don't have to worry about transfers either. If you're serious about recording and willing to spend some money, a Hi-MD or a Zoom H2 would be a better long term investment for sure...

If you go with legacy MD, there's one more concern. If you want to make optical transfer to the PC, you need to pick up a used MD deck (bookshelf unit) with optical out + a soundcard with optical in (bit perfect). So there goes at least another $50 anyway.

I'm not trying to pitch legacy MD as a hi-fidelity medium, but it's the cheapest upgrade path if you have no cash at all. You will still be able to enjoy better quality than audio tape, for the cost of two Bic Mac meals. Even if your recordings are lossy, and your transfers aren't optical, the results should be an improvement from your current gear. For your own listening pleasure!

Guys, please don't flame me for this, but many newbie tapers from the "outside world" never dare to take the big step to lossless, when they see the pricetag of a full rig.
I'm one of those losers who slogged with my budget analog rig for years, slowly moving over to MD, until I could afford some decent gear. I'm just trying to show that there is an entry level rig even if you're on a shoestring budget. Just to wet yor feet, until you save up and move on...

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 03:28:01 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline 69mako

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 05:16:07 AM »
Personally, I would shy away from MD.  It is slowly dieing out.  With HD and flash media recorders growing.  There is nothing wrong with MD, it's just old technology.  If memory serves me correctly, you still have to flip disks (cassettes anyone).  That alone is a reason for me to stay away from MD.  I currently use a JB3 and CA-9000 set.  While it's not the best, It is aa great beginner rig.  Battery life is all of 4 hours at a crack and HD is practically unlimited.

Thanks,
Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 05:44:12 AM »
Built in mics are good for "selling points" but arent worth a shit for stealth recording.

They're not stealth only, but they do not allow stands, external mics, or "professional equipment."  So you have to run a handheld recorder with built in mics, but it can't be a professional recorder. 

Dumbest.  Policy.  Ever.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 08:03:13 AM »

They're not stealth only, but they do not allow stands, external mics, or "professional equipment."  So you have to run a handheld recorder with built in mics, but it can't be a professional recorder. 

Dumbest.  Policy.  Ever.

Good grief! Better to stealth than try and stay within the realm of those restrictions.

I remember reading that Eddie Vedder use to tape shows with a hand-held (Scoop?) recorder and was happy with his results.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com