Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R4 & R44 A>D Questions  (Read 21355 times)

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: R4 A>D
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 09:18:47 AM »
So is that the general feeling of most R44 owners using an outboard preamp?  Is there enough coloration of the R44 to warrant a possible mod, or do most owners like to stock R44 sound in conjunction with an outboard pre?
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline halleyscomet8

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 09:58:37 AM »
ok, i am pretty sure louie (nolafishwater) has run a 16g card. he and buff both run pre's in front of there's.
my shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/halleyscomet8
And, yes, I know I suck about getting stuff circulated.  ;)

Offline nottingham

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection Member
  • There's wisemen hiding in the mountains
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 10:24:29 AM »
The R09HR firmware upgrade enabled the use of a 32gb sdhc card, so I don’t see why a firmware upgrade won’t be available for the R-44.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,103270.msg1421074.html#msg1421074
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:51:42 AM by nottingham »
Schoeps MK4-MK41>cmc6/Nbob actives/Naiant LB/Naiant TB > Sony M10/PMD620

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 11:24:43 AM »
Will any 32GB SDHC card suffice or should I look for something specific?

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2008, 11:29:53 AM »
ok, i am pretty sure louie (nolafishwater) has run a 16g card. he and buff both run pre's in front of there's.

Being 16 and 32GB card compatible would be great.  I hope that it is.  Not sure, but I'd think that a fairly fast card would be advisable, since writing to 4 channels simulateously is alot of data throughput.

I got a PM less than a week ago from Louie and at that point he still hadn't run the R-44 with the V3 out front yet.  He did say that he's gonna run a test soon though.

Hey Focker, I assume you've gone out there to the archive and done some R-44 listening.  The reason I say that is there are enough samples out there right now that you can I think form an opinion on the sound of the stock R-44.  I personally think it sounds great.   Frankly, that's what's kept me on the fence about this because I think that my DPAs would probably sound really nice through the stock R-44.  

But like I said before I went through so much to finally get to a sound that I like that I'm hardly ready to ditch it now and commit to the R-44 without hearing samples with my particular setup first.  Course, I'd ideally love to be able to say it doesn't matter at all for reasons I've already stated in a couple of earlier posts.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:32:43 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline nottingham

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection Member
  • There's wisemen hiding in the mountains
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 11:32:38 AM »
Steve I have a Oade CM mod coming on Thursday. I'll let you know it sounds with and without the Aerco.
Schoeps MK4-MK41>cmc6/Nbob actives/Naiant LB/Naiant TB > Sony M10/PMD620

stevetoney

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 11:34:30 AM »
Steve I have a Oade CM mod coming on Thursday. I'll let you know it sounds with and without the Aerco.

Oooh, nice.  You took the plunge, eh? 

I really hope it sounds great because if it does, I'm there!

EDIT:  I should say that I know it will sound great...what I meant to say is that I really hope that you still get the nice Aerco flavor with it...and of course you'll get the R-44 flavor, which is a winner.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:38:51 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 11:39:12 AM »
Hey Focker, I assume you've gone out there to the archive and done some R-44 listening.  The reason I say that is there are enough samples out there right now that you can I think form an opinion on the sound of the stock R-44.  I personally think it sounds great.   Frankly, that's what's kept me on the fence about this because I think that my DPAs would probably sound really nice through the stock R-44.  

:laugh: Why would you assume I did any homework?  You're talking to the guy who bought a SF350 without even hearing it!  I guess the laugh is, looked how well that's worked out for me.... :'(  I did do some homework by asking friends who've run them their thoughts on them....

Actually I'm under the gun timewise and the Edirols fit for me, right now it's only a matter of which one, with the R44 winning out.  I have a hard time getting a sense for gear when I don't know the rooms, bands, setup, etc sometimes...I only go from what I know first hand usually after having been at the show and seen where people setup, sound, etc.  I've always lived by the philosophy if it doesn't work out you can always sell it and get something else....so with that in mind I spoke with Doug Oade and decided to agree with him and get the Concert Mod he recommended and bought new.  I need a deck for next weekend and have been out of the game with malfunctioning gear so long, I don't even want to go through a listening test right now.  I'll evaluate it as I use it....that's always been my motto.  But I always like to hear some people fluffing to give me a little confidence.

stevetoney

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 12:10:37 PM »

:laugh: Why would you assume I did any homework?  You're talking to the guy who bought a SF350 without even hearing it!  I guess the laugh is, looked how well that's worked out for me.... :'(  I did do some homework by asking friends who've run them their thoughts on them....

Actually I'm under the gun timewise and the Edirols fit for me, right now it's only a matter of which one, with the R44 winning out.  I have a hard time getting a sense for gear when I don't know the rooms, bands, setup, etc sometimes...I only go from what I know first hand usually after having been at the show and seen where people setup, sound, etc.  I've always lived by the philosophy if it doesn't work out you can always sell it and get something else....so with that in mind I spoke with Doug Oade and decided to agree with him and get the Concert Mod he recommended and bought new.  I need a deck for next weekend and have been out of the game with malfunctioning gear so long, I don't even want to go through a listening test right now.  I'll evaluate it as I use it....that's always been my motto.  But I always like to hear some people fluffing to give me a little confidence.

Well congratulations then!  Hell that only put what $2400 net into your pocket!  That's a hella lots of extra money for some nice lights and a pre-amp that doesn't work with your mics! 

Oooh, man that's two Oade Concert Mods in a day.  Niiiiice.  Go get 'em guys!

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2008, 12:53:50 PM »
Well congratulations then!  Hell that only put what $2400 net into your pocket!  That's a hella lots of extra money for some nice lights and a pre-amp that doesn't work with your mics! 

Oooh, man that's two Oade Concert Mods in a day.  Niiiiice.  Go get 'em guys!

That's basically what it boiled down to...I worry abotu sound after the fact...I want a deck that works with my mics consistently first....I'll worry about if the sound is good to my ears later, though I can't imagine I won't like it...I already know I love the SF.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »
Dude, Now you can get that bathroom redone!
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2008, 01:08:21 PM »

Bathroom is already redone dude, balcony was repaired yesterday....$2500 out of pocket.  Now I've got to install a new sliding glass door then paint and recarpet the entire condo.  Nowhere near done....

Freeing up $2400 and hopefully making complete tapes in the process helps a bit.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 01:30:16 PM »

Bathroom is already redone dude, balcony was repaired yesterday....$2500 out of pocket.  Now I've got to install a new sliding glass door then paint and recarpet the entire condo.  Nowhere near done....

Freeing up $2400 and hopefully making complete tapes in the process helps a bit.

Good call on the brand new ACM R44!! When you are listening to some complete Soundfield recordings, it will definately distract you from the work being completed. You are getting professionals to install that door, right?
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2008, 01:40:09 PM »
If you consider me and my father professionals, then yes!

Actually, pops knows this stuff inside and out.  I've watched that man build a house single handedly....he can handle a sliding glass door.  He sure knew how to take it out easy enough.  Had that sucker out in about 10 minutes.

Pop was also consulted on the R44 purchase and his exact quote was, "how the fuck should I know?".  Thanks Dad!

We both have our specialties....though I'm not sure what mine is yet.  Maybe it's taping from the mosh pit.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008, 02:52:28 PM »
Mr. Imburgia: "Son, have you got that piece of door trim hammered like I asked?"

Focker: "Well, I've been dipping it in Makers Mark for 30 mins, is that enough?"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com