Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Digitize Vinyl : UA-5 for A/D conversion?  (Read 1945 times)

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Digitize Vinyl : UA-5 for A/D conversion?
« on: October 08, 2008, 06:53:02 PM »
I have a UA-5 with BM2P+ Mod.  My signal chain is Technics SL-D202 turntable > Technics SA-DX1050 Receiver > Tape Monitor Out > UA-5 using unbalanced TRS in > MT I @ 24/96.  I have noticed, with my one test that the highs are not as prevelant.  I was wondering if that was a property of the vinyl mastering, the UA-5 mod with the presence mod, or possibly my receiver?  I tried this with Radiohead - In Rainbows.  I just want to get a faithful reproduction of the vinyl, not necessarily a match to the CD version.  I am looking for input, advice, clarification, and just thoughts on the subject.  I was wanting to record all my records to 24/96 to archive to DVDs, maybe make CDs later on.  Thanks.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Digitize Vinyl : UA-5 for A/D conversion?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 09:25:36 PM »
I would go in the back with the RCAs and skip the modded pre section. That's how I do it, just make sure you set the levels with the little knob back there

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 09:57:39 PM »
I would go in the back with the RCAs and skip the modded pre section. That's how I do it, just make sure you set the levels with the little knob back there

So going in at the RCAs the signal doesn't pass through any mods?  If so, that's good to know.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 10:14:36 AM »
Judging by the diagram I am going with that assumption   

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 12:38:08 AM »
IIRC, the "regular" Oade mode didn't upgrade the RCA inputs, while the PLUS mods did.  Don't know if Busman's mods upgraded the rear RCA inputs.  Best bet is to check with Busman to confirm whether or not his mods upgrade the rear RCA inputs.

If the rear RCA inputs include the mods, go ahead and use them.  If they don't, use the front inputs.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 06:35:05 PM »
Info that came with my UA-5

Edirol UA-5 BM2p+ BA mod(v2008)*
*phantom power caps, input caps and op amps are replaced

Chris "updated" the mod done on mine since he has changed the way he does it compared to when he first started doing them.  Chris also told me this in an email, "My UA-5 mods are made to send a good signal on the analog outputs just like you would get with the inputs."  this was in regards to using the analog out on the UA-5 but reflect the fact he does do work on the input side of the analog section. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.173 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com