Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help me help myself!  (Read 8314 times)

Offline Finnbot3000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Yessir!
    • watch me twitter!
Help me help myself!
« on: March 10, 2009, 05:15:40 PM »
I play the drums in The Presidents of the United States of America (yes, it's a hell of a long name).  We want to dip our little feet into the world of recording shows.  Gingerly.  While it's possible we may try to sell shows at some point in the future, everyone agrees the place to start is some simple 'field recordings' that hopefully sound good enough to give away.  I guess that will make us tapers.  BTW, our taping policy has always been wide open , although I don't know how often anyone's taken us up on it.  About the closest we've come to a taping scene was when we played at last summer's moedown.  But that's another story.

Anyways, I need advice on a starter rig that I can acquire quickly.  We're starting a run in Europe on the 19th that I'd like to record all of. 

Stealth not an issue, in fact our FOH guy will be placing the mics. 

I'm liking the looks of the Marantz PMD661...what 2 mics would you use with it?  Or...talk me into the sony one.  Does it have xlr inputs like the marantz?  Is my natural Gadget-dorkness leading me to the most expensive one for no good reason?

make me look good when I walk into practice this weekend with 'the solution'!

JF

what I don't know about taping would make a much longer book than what I do know about drumming, which is a lot.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: Help me help myself!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:28:21 PM »
You need to set a budget.  The 661 is still pretty new, but so far people seem to like it pretty well.

So how much do you want to spend on mics?  Under $500?  $500-$1000?  $1000-1500?  More?

There are a number of excellent choices in each of those price brackets, so throw out a number and I predict you'll see a massive pile-on of advice in a very short time!   ;D
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:32:18 PM »
BTW, our taping policy has always been wide open , although I don't know how often anyone's taken us up on it.  About the closest we've come to a taping scene was when we played at last summer's moedown.  But that's another story.

Looks like someone's been taping you!

http://db.etree.org/bs_d.php?artist_key=1952
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline dave w

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 05:52:42 PM »
In addition to a budget for mics (too many options out there without a budget), it would be very helpful to know what type/size rooms you are typically playing in.  That will make a big difference with, for example, the closest to ideal pickup pattern for the mics you will be using.  Additionally, some mics tend to be more forgiving of poor room acoustics than others.
--Dave

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 05:55:54 PM »
Obviously depends on budget, but considering it is a band's equipment I would go 4 channels. An Edirol R-44, mics to suit your budget, and 2 channel SBD feed would be quite nice.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 06:10:51 PM »
Or...talk me into the sony one.  Does it have xlr inputs like the marantz?

I think you mean the Sony D50 and no it does not have xlr's for the mics. There is an adapter available for a stereo outboard XLR connection, but I don't think anyone here has tried it's priced as much as the deck itself.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 06:16:17 PM »
Obviously depends on budget, but considering it is a band's equipment I would go 4 channels. An Edirol R-44, mics to suit your budget, and 2 channel SBD feed would be quite nice.

My suggestion as well.   Boa and the crew with the Black Crowes are doing the very thing the OP is wanting to do with a R44 and Gefell's I believe.

Offline Finnbot3000

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Yessir!
    • watch me twitter!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 06:33:28 PM »
Budget: Probably under 1k all in to start, so probably 500 or so for mics.  And I'm probably going to have to talk my singer into having seperate mics in the first place. Thinking small.  And definitely just 2 inputs for now.  The Edirol looks like more than we can bite off to start.

Rooms:  Thousand seaters, basically.  Lots of HOBs, 9:30 club, Showbox, etc....some smaller places thrown in.

what I don't know about taping would make a much longer book than what I do know about drumming, which is a lot.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 06:37:43 PM »
FR2-LE:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,118213.0.html

AKG 460's:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,118388.0.html

Total:  somewhere around $850-ish.  Add cables, stand, accessories and you should still come in well under budget.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 06:38:55 PM »
You'd make good recordings with this rig I'd bet.

http://www.busmanaudio.com/bsc1.html  $450

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FOSFR2LE  $599

EDIT:  Dirk beat me to it. 

Offline maidencolorado

• Taperssection Regular
  • Who farted?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 07:30:13 PM »
I play the drums in The Presidents of the United States of America (yes, it's a hell of a long name).  ...  BTW, our taping policy has always been wide open , although I don't know how often anyone's taken us up on it. 

See you a couple of times in April (Philly and DC), I may just take you up on the open taping.

nameloc01

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 07:33:56 PM »
The Marantz is sweeter than a case of peaches.

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 08:16:18 PM »
I have one word (maybe two)

SoundBoard.

I'm tracking out a multi-channel set I did for a friend of mine, with three sources:

akg 483's > MixPre > Korg MR1 (all in, call it $3k)
Sennheiser MKH 8040's > Korg MR1000 (all in, another $3k)
Soundboard> 2 1/4" male to male plugs > Microtrack 24/96 (the original) all in, ~$300 bucks.

The mics capture the ambiance of the show, but the soundboard feed is basically using the mics and amps of the performance, and in terms of fidelity kicks butt.  A very clean source. 

Of course, it's a little "sterile" so mixing with the other sources (using Adobe Audition) will warm it up a bit.
Since you're not only "with the band" , you ARE the band, getting the soundboard fees from each show will give you a huge increase in fidelity over ambient mics alone.  That's where the R44 comes in.

Mike
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline Belexes

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 08:49:54 PM »
You'd make good recordings with this rig I'd bet.

http://www.busmanaudio.com/bsc1.html  $450

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FOSFR2LE  $599

EDIT:  Dirk beat me to it. 

This is my rig and it's hard to beat for the price.  You can get the Fostex FR2-LE on Ebay from the "new-items-only" seller by making an offer of around $425 and I think they will accept it as a purchase.

The Busman mics are a great value with the interchangeable capsules which will come in handy given the different rooms your band plays.

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 09:00:18 PM »
Nice to see band members taping.  Both to improve and to capture the vibe for history.

OK, I recommend the following:
- Edirol R44 four track rig, $800 now?  I don't know price
- Small condensors: cheap $200 used SP C4 pair, more money $800, Beyerdynamic MC930 pair.

Record four tracks, two soundboard, and two with the mics ORTF/DIN on a stand just in front of the mixer board.

Measure the distance between the board and the PA speakers.  Note this down for mixing later.  Add delay of 1ms/foot for soundboard, and mix mics + sbd to taste.

You will get excellent sound and value from this setup.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 10:32:41 PM »
BTW, our taping policy has always been wide open , although I don't know how often anyone's taken us up on it.  About the closest we've come to a taping scene was when we played at last summer's moedown. 

Very cool!  Have you guys thought about joining the Live Music Archive (archive.org)?  That would be even better.  ;D

Offline im hungover

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 12:15:59 AM »
BTW, our taping policy has always been wide open , although I don't know how often anyone's taken us up on it.  About the closest we've come to a taping scene was when we played at last summer's moedown. 

Very cool!  Have you guys thought about joining the Live Music Archive (archive.org)?  That would be even better.  ;D
and there are quite a few bands these days offer up a guest list spot for a taper or two ;D
Mics: Oktava MK-012, ADK S51, AT853 (cards)

Decks: Fostex FR2-LE & Tascam DR40

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 12:19:22 AM »
and there are quite a few bands these days offer up a guest list spot for a taper or two ;D

guestlist +1

:P ;D :laugh:

Offline Finnbot3000

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Yessir!
    • watch me twitter!
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 01:09:12 AM »
well of course there would have to be a +1.  Otherwise who would hold the beers while the mics were being placed.

There is a crapload of valuable advice here, except from the guy with the Portland Trailblazers logo in his signature.  I hate that guy.

to recap:

we need a recorder with built in mics, AND inputs (preferably xlr).  My singer has a possible line on a Zoom H4, but I'm not loving what I'm reading about that model here or elsewhere.  So the dilemma is find the cheapest good recorder (400?) so I can spend 400 bucks on mics. I mean 300 bucks. 

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 01:36:42 AM »
WTF?  Do I know you?

EDIT: Upon further research on wiki and google I have never met you, don't know you, never have seen a Presidents show or any band you've played in or own any releases you are on.  But yet you hate me?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:53:41 AM by Mark Burgin »

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 02:25:04 AM »

Total:  somewhere around $850-ish.  Add cables, stand, accessories and you should still come in well under budget.

I am stunned, Dirk recommending AKG's?  The world MUST be comming to an end  ;D
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 03:15:12 AM »
WTF?  Do I know you?

EDIT: Upon further research on wiki and google I have never met you, don't know you, never have seen a Presidents show or any band you've played in or own any releases you are on.  But yet you hate me?
Well fuck right off asshole.

Maybe he just meant that he doesn't like the Trailblazers?
 ???

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 03:28:28 AM »
Maybe... and if he did I recant my rant but I am just at a loss.  Never had anyone say they hate me.  Ever.  Especially a musician.  I edited the end of it until clarity is made.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:54:08 AM by Mark Burgin »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 06:56:05 AM »
what he said....
(Richards post above).

Def. the way to go.

If you must stick w/two channels for budget, you can still do some AUD/SBD with an edirol UA5.  tons of them in the yard sale.  nice sounding little box.  it acts as a mixer too, so you can pump RCA inputs in as well as XLRs, though you can't mix the delay needed, nor can you separate the channels.

as for mics...
if you want really cheap and wicked quality for the investment, the AT 853u is pretty awesome.  sound pro's has them on sale for $150 a pair.
An edirol R9 behind these, good to go.  $500 total.

Or...
Studio Projects LSD2 stereo microphone.  Its big, ugly...., could be a weapon of mass destruction, but it sounds freakin' great, is quick and easy to setup and would allow you to record in M-S mode for later mix down, eliminating that "get it right on the fly" syndrome.
You could probably find a used one in the $500 range.  new they are $700.

go TrailBlazers !
;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 06:58:57 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 07:39:58 AM »

I am stunned, Dirk recommending AKG's?  The world MUST be comming to an end  ;D

AKGs are fine when you're just starting out and you're on a budget.  Once money isn't the first concern anymore, it's time to look elsewhere though (IMO).

Anyway, to the OP:  a recorder with built in mics will NOT give you the results you're looking for.  Period.

Offline Belexes

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 08:06:51 AM »
Don't concern yourself with recorders with internal mics.  Most of us here are external mic purists as the quality goes up by leaps and bounds.  I own a Sony D50, but almost never use the internal mics.  You'll be recording music, not using it to do your dictation.

Offline Finnbot3000

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Yessir!
    • watch me twitter!
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 11:07:26 AM »
Mark!

That was supposed to be funny. A Trailblazers thing.  I'm from Seattle, and we are still a little tender from loosing our Sonics.  And a central part of Sonic-dom, as you know, is the SEA-PDX enmity, which was drilled into me from birth.  Actually I secretly watch the Trailblazers sometimes when they are on espn to follow Brandon Roy (Husky!), but if my family found out I would be disowned.

Sorry for the misfire!

I don't really hate anybody, except for all three Jonas Brothers.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 11:12:21 AM »
Anyway, to the OP:  a recorder with built in mics will NOT give you the results you're looking for.  Period.

Agree to a point:  the internal mics will NOT give the results you're looking for.  But technically, the FR2LE and Edirol R44 both have internal mics, they're just useless.  As are the mics built into just about everything except maybe the Sony.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 11:21:39 AM »
I'm sorry too for my misunderstanding!  It's all good Jason.  And yes the Jonas Brothers do suck ass.   ;D

Mark!

That was supposed to be funny. A Trailblazers thing.  I'm from Seattle, and we are still a little tender from loosing our Sonics.  And a central part of Sonic-dom, as you know, is the SEA-PDX enmity, which was drilled into me from birth.  Actually I secretly watch the Trailblazers sometimes when they are on espn to follow Brandon Roy (Husky!), but if my family found out I would be disowned.

Sorry for the misfire!

I don't really hate anybody, except for all three Jonas Brothers.

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 11:41:04 AM »
My recommendation would be the Edirol R-44 and a stereo mic such as the Studio Projects LSD2 or Busman BSCS-M or BSCS-L.  Record 2-ch soundboard and 2-ch stereo mic.

If that's way out of your budget, maybe the Sony PCM-D50?  I've heard a few small club recordings done with the internal mics that sounded decent.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

stevetoney

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 11:57:57 AM »
As a musician, you'll understand how the internal mics on a $400 recorder are likely to be afterthoughts in terms of the quality of the gear installed by the manufacturer.  Think el cheapo microphones being used to record college classroom recordings of a professors lecture or a journalists interview...but DEF not music fidelity.

So, the recorder should be for recording and, well, a reasonable pair of mics for sound fidelity.

As far as recorders, there have been many worthy suggestions made already in this thread.  Personally, I'd stay away from the pocket units simply because, as a traveling band, I'd think the chances are high that it would find its way into someone else's pocket.  At $400 or so used, the FR2LE would be perfect...so would the PMD-661.  

Since you're just starting, I'd go ahead and make sure to start with a 24-bit recorder.  Why not?  Prices are nearly the same now as the older 16-bit recorders, although they'd work just fine if you decided on...say...and used PMD-660 which is a FINE recorder too.

For mics, I suggest going onto www.archive.org and searching for and listening to show samples that use the microphones in your price range to determine those that meet your expectations for sound quality...here are some mics that I know of that fall in the $200 to $400 range for a pair...I think there are LOTS of others that I'm not recalling at the moment.

Audio Technica AT-853 (aka SP-CMC-4)
Octava MC-012
AKG-460 series (non-modded)
AKG-390 series
AKG-c1000
Studio Project C4
Avantone C-1
Church Audio CA-14
Church Audio CA-11
Nakamichi CM-300

I'd also note that most of these mics are currently available used in our yard sale. 

I'd HIGHLY recommend buying used because for a $1k budget, you'll significantly increase the quality of your gear that way.  This amount is a sort of break point...above $1k you can start to expect better sounding recordings.  Below $1k, you have to work a little harder to have sound expectations met...but it's still VERY possible with the gear people are recommending.  Point is that $1k goes alot farther buying used that it does buying new.

Hope this helps a bit.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:01:08 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 12:15:44 PM »
To follow up on the good points Steve (tonedeaf) made...

If you're considering used, don't forget the Edirol R4.  I think there are still one or two in the Yard Sale for <$600?  This could be really handy for band use since it has a built in hard drive, so you can record several shows in a row rather than having to copy them off a flash card you recycle each night.  And having the option to mix in a board feed with your room mics will really help in lesser-sounding rooms.

Good list of mics above.  In that price range you could also consider the Audix M1280/M1290s (used), the Busman Audio mics, and Studio Projects LSD2.  Maybe some of the Rode mics (eg NT5) are worth considering as well, although opinions here are pretty split on them.  I've heard some Rode tapes I really liked, but not many.

Offline im hungover

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »
Studio Projects C4s are very nice sounding for around $200 ive pulled some smokin tapes with them!
Mics: Oktava MK-012, ADK S51, AT853 (cards)

Decks: Fostex FR2-LE & Tascam DR40

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 12:54:58 PM »
Just chiming in to echo the recommendations for a 4-ch recorder to capture SBD + mics, even if it means you have to start off with really inexpensive mics.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

stevetoney

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 12:07:25 AM »
If I may elaborate a little bit for the sake of explanation. 

Alot of people on this list are experts at recording a bands' music.  Many of us are passionate about getting the best sounding recordings possible and some have well over ten grand invested to prove it!  Most bands nowadays are happy enough to allow us to record them, but really can't be bothered before the show setting up for SBD access...either because they don't want anyone futznig around the SBD or they don't have the time to mix for the SBD output channels.  However, given a choice, I think the larger majority of people on this board would pounce on the opportunity to get a SBD matrix if bands provided that option.

Since you ARE the band, getting permission is not an issue.  So, many people are recommending the relatively inexpensive 4-channel R-44 (new they go for around $800 but since it's one of the most popular items on this list, not many used R-44's are seen in the yard sale) and there are one or two use R-4's out there for less.  (The R-4 came out a few years before the R-44...the R-4 being also 4-channels but larger.)

I definitely agree that you should give this VERY strong consideration...and as Brian suggested above, even a SBD matrix mixed with a relatively inexpensive pair of mics (to give the recording air and ambience, since unmatrixed virgin SBDs can be very sterile sounding) would be KILLER...and orders of magnitude better in sound quality than what you'd get with an inexpensive mic pair only. 

So, for $1K I'd definitely go with an R-44 for $800 and a $200 pair of mics and run a 4-channel matrix.  You'll get killer recordings with that setup.

Hope this explains a little more why so many people are recommending going this route.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 07:34:53 AM »
If you must stick w/two channels for budget, you can still do some AUD/SBD with an edirol UA5.  tons of them in the yard sale.  nice sounding little box.  it acts as a mixer too, so you can pump RCA inputs in as well as XLRs, though you can't mix the delay needed, nor can you separate the channels.

as for mics...
if you want really cheap and wicked quality for the investment, the AT 853u is pretty awesome.  sound pro's has them on sale for $150 a pair.
An edirol R9 behind these, good to go.  $500 total.

Agree with this, except that I'd put a digital recorder behind the UA-5. Microtrack does 24bit and can be had for $200.

But really, all this skimping is sad, considering that you're in the band and have full access to the board.  :-\
Since you have no size restrictions and can even run the gear on AC, you shouldn't be fiddling with these small boxes.

The cheapest R4 I could find at the moment is $700: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300296931814
If this unit is still around you could try haggling it down: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,109668.0.html

That gives you $300-something for mics and stand.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline BristolMookie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »
If you want to bring a Marantz for me to play with that's fine with me. I always wanted a go with one.

And I guess it'll be desk mix plus a couple of ambients using the new matched pair of condensers that'll be arriving on monday. I'm not saying what they are but I like them, and you've given me an excuse.

J

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 02:13:12 PM »
don't forget about the Peluso CEMC6 pair.  for under $600 they are some of the best sounding mics on the market.  Add some subcard caps and they are perfect for 1000 seat theater shows!
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »
Good piont (above w/the Peluso rec w/the sub card caps, that would kick ass w/the SBD mixed in)

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2009, 05:32:25 PM »
Hey Jason, way off topic but maybe Minneapolis is in the cards this summer. I'd tape.

See also... http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,118709.0.html
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »
Just chiming in to echo the recommendations for a 4-ch recorder to capture SBD + mics, even if it means you have to start off with really inexpensive mics.

My vote would be for this setup and a stage pair using the house snake....

Offline popskull

• Taperssection Member
  • Analog....the ultimate sampling frequency
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2009, 12:37:16 PM »
I would recommend a 4 channel recorder like the Edirol R4 or R44 as well

2 mics onstage to get the instruments + sdb feed = quick and easy sdb/aud 4 channel to mix the next day on the tour bus

It has a big enough hd to do a couple shows before filling up

My recommendation would be the Edirol R-44 and a stereo mic such as the Studio Projects LSD2 or Busman BSCS-M or BSCS-L.  Record 2-ch soundboard and 2-ch stereo mic.

If that's way out of your budget, maybe the Sony PCM-D50?  I've heard a few small club recordings done with the internal mics that sounded decent.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 66 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com