Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I need a new CD player - recommendations please  (Read 3911 times)

Offline ajg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Bumbles Blog
I need a new CD player - recommendations please
« on: April 23, 2009, 08:19:28 PM »
My cd player is starting to develop static while playing back a disc - not right away, usually 4 - 6 songs in.  I have an Aiwa dual cd deck and the other side has had pops and crackles for years now and i never use it.  I think it's time to retire this one.

I'm looking for recommendations for new single cd players under $200, preferably $150.  I always used to buy components through Crutchfield but I just checked them out online and wasn't too happy with their selection and prices.  If you could point me to somewhere online to buy it would be appreciated.

I really only need a nice, simple, single cd player.  I don't want multi disc since I would never use that function in my listening room.  We already have a multi disc changer in our family room for entertaining, this one is for my own use and I always listen to shows or albums complete.

Thanks.  Andy

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: I need a new CD player - recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 08:52:25 PM »
This ought to fit you like a glove: OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player.  Now I know it's a DVD player, but it is also a very fine CD player.  I own one of their earlier DVD players.  Not only does Oppo make good players, but their customer service is exceptional.  The DV-980 is $169 + shipping.  Oppo has very reasonable shipping rates.  You can also buy them from amazon.com Here's a link to the Oppo site:

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv980h/

Stereophile reviewed the DV-970H, which I believe is the same player with 5.1 output instead of 7.1 output.

http://stereophile.com/hirezplayers/507oppo/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 08:55:04 PM by notlance »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 10:32:14 PM »
I know it's not a direct answer to your question, but consider this an opportunity to make the transition to media-free (i.e. computer-based) playback.  Might be tough with your budget, though.  Anyway, just a thought...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline ajg

• The Bumbles Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:20:50 AM »
Thanks guys.

Brian, yeah I know cds are so 80s/90s but i've got thousands of them.  Like I said - this is for my mancave room in the basement and it's a simple setup w/receiver, cd player, dubbing cassette deck  :o and my recently hooked up turntable.

I'll eventually get into the media free technology - I have been thinking about that recently and I do have a question:
How can I get flac files stored on a laptop or harddrive to play directly through my home theatre receiver?  I haven't done much research such as reading my owner's manual but I figure you could point me in the right direction.  The receiver is a newer model purchased last year so I could run my new surround sound/hd tv through it so i'm sure it has the capability to hook a computer up to it through a usb connection.

edit to add:  to partially answer my own question - I probably need to transfer the files to an ipod type device and then hook that up to my receiver.  Correct?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:23:39 AM by ajg »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 09:44:34 AM »
Using a portable device is one option, probably the least expensive to get started.

I use a SlimDevices Squeezebox.  There's also the Roku Soundbridge, but I think it's only 16-bit.  Apple might make a similar device, as might others of which I'm unaware.  The idea is to store all your music on HDD, then stream the music -- in the case of the Squeezebox, via lossless FLACs -- over a home network, to the device, and then ultimately to the playback gear.  Note even the Squeezebox has limitations, though:  48k sample rate only.  Doesn't bother me, as I don't record above 48k.  SlimDevices has another couple options that I think support 96k sample rates, but I've never considered them since I'm happy with my SB.
Roland R-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 10:15:39 AM »
another option is the apple airport extreme.  Now the way I use it is sacrilege to alot of folks here, but I am working on digitizing my entire music collection (live, CD, vinyl), into 256Kb AAC, and use Itunes to serve it.  I have 2 of the airport extremes at the playback in my bonus room and one serving my den/outside speakers.  the Iphone (or itouch which I have) has a free remote app, which allows me to control itunes from it and I can tell itunes which speakers to play to.  Pretty fantastic to have your entire music collection available at any moment.

The reasons I went with the lossy format vs .wav is a couple of things.  First, the amount of space it would have taken to use wav/flac for everything I have would have been obscene.  My lossy Itunes library is almost 650Gb.  I can only imagine how out of control it would be at wav/flac.  Second, I like having the options...I mean if I want to critically listen..I still have CDs/Vinyl (which I still listen to a ton) and the main playback system.  But this gives me flexibility. Third, I also do quite a bit of listening outside of the house on my itouch...and again access to my entire library for that is desirable.

Brians suggestion is a great one as well, as I had a squeezebox for a while.  I just ended up moving to the airport express for a different set of requirements.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 10:34:17 AM »
Sounds like a slick setup, Nick.  :coolguy:
Roland R-05

Offline ajg

• The Bumbles Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 10:44:45 AM »
Thanks again guys.

I'll start w/the replacement cd player and go from there.

I'm not a taper so I don't have all the gear that you guys have and if it involves more than a few cables i start to lose it.  We used to have a picture in picture tv and you needed a phd in electrical engineering to hook that up.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 02:05:09 AM »
http://www.oppodigital.com/

www.audiogon.com (there is a section for CD players)

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline JackHenry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 08:31:05 AM »

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 04:01:11 PM »
I'll 3rd the Oppo recommendation. For a budget piece its actually a very good piece of gear.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 08:47:29 PM »
The Pioneer Elite DV-49A is about $40 more than the Oppo but (IMO) it is worth every penny. The Pioneer Elites have great build quality, the DACs look and sound very good, plays everything you throw at it, and the DVD-A playback is gapless. If I remember correctly, the Oppo does not have gapless DVD-A playback. I have the Pioneer DV-46AV (very similar unit) in both my living room and bedroom setups and for the price it is a winner. As mentioned, Audiogon is a great reference, and great deals on the Pioneer Elites can be found there.

Highly recommended.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/486139504/pioneer-dv-49av
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 09:39:29 PM »
I've never had an issue with gapless DVD playback on my oppo
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 06:54:07 PM »
I'm a fan of early Sony portable discman cd players... I know... Hey, they have a 1bit dac and line out so you may amplify the signal with a high end amp.  You can use it with a line in to your home stereo set.

One of my favorite models is the sport 421 which has excellent weather sealing, can be powered by ac or 2-AAs, was made in Japan, and you can take it with you if you want really high end audio on the road.  I use mine with a Ray Samuels Emmaline Hornet headphone amp, and that setup puts you at a level of high quality that would cost many thousands to emulate in the analog/speaker world.

Here's a link to Samuels stuff.. this guy makes excellent amps at low prices (for high end audio)...

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/

I use westone UM3s with the Emmaline Hornet amp.

You can find like new Sony Discman players for under ten dollars on fleabay.  They sold for $2-300+ when new.  Sony used very high quality components in their manufacturing of these.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com