Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Using a Wal-Mart battery to power a 8.4V camcorder  (Read 4294 times)

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Using a Wal-Mart battery to power a 8.4V camcorder
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:13:44 AM »
I was wondering about using the WalMart Universal DVD battery that I picked up from this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,117631.0.html

My camcorder, Canon HF100, requires 8.4V of power, and I have an adaptaplug that fits it. Can I attach the 9V battery to the camcorder for power?

My impression from reading various threads here is that it would be OK...

TIA!
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Using a Wal-Mart battery to power a 8.4V camcorder
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 10:29:35 AM »
Yes, the extra voltage will be let off as heat...  I wouldn't go much past 9v...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline aleal5687

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »
Bumping an old thread

Just picked up a canon hf30 (8.4v) and found this post. The offical canon batteries are expensive but I wanted something in the meantime to get me through a day of shooting. I have a 7day film contest  coming up and want a battery that can last all day.

Just want to make sure I will not damage my camera.

Mics:CA11,CA14,AKG ck91(Homebrew active)
Pre/power: Ca Ugly, Oade mod sbm1,sp battery box,MT mic power
Recorder:R9HR,MT 24/96,Iriver ihp110(16gb cfmod)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 05:18:58 PM »
Bumping an old thread

Just picked up a canon hf30 (8.4v) and found this post. The offical canon batteries are expensive but I wanted something in the meantime to get me through a day of shooting. I have a 7day film contest  coming up and want a battery that can last all day.

I wasn't able to find the power consumption on your camera so I don't know how long you can power your camera with a Tekkeon, but that's where I'd start.  These batteries are known to provide good capacity in a small package and the variable voltage setting makes it a useful battery for other uses.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, the extra voltage might result in a little bit of heat, but I doubt it would be significant.  Just stay cognizant of whether or not your camera heats up with use and don't let it get hot. 

Offline kingkita

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 09:01:55 AM »
Bumping an old thread

I wasn't able to find the power consumption on your camera so I don't know how long you can power your camera with a Tekkeon, but that's where I'd start.  These batteries are known to provide good capacity in a small package and the variable voltage setting makes it a useful battery for other uses.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, the extra voltage might result in a little bit of heat, but I doubt it would be significant.  Just stay cognizant of whether or not your camera heats up with use and don't let it get hot. 

I can verify that the walmart dvd batteries will run a hv30/and hv40 and so will the tekkeons without a issue. For many hours.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:03:48 AM by kingkita »

Offline tedyun

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:44:51 PM »
I have tried the 9v DVD batteries, but not extensively. I have since found these batteries:

http://www.neximaging.com/product.asp?id=42684&ADTR=9

I think these are branded as "PowerPal," "Powerbank" or other names. They have a selectable switch to output 5, 6 or 8.4v, so I have been using these when I need more juice. I would think that the 9v batteries would be fine, but I was pretty paranoid about plugging it in like that. Plus, I found a good deal on the Powerbanks.

The times I've run the videocam, the setup I have is third party high capacity battery for the camcorder, and a couple of the Powerbanks.  Having the camcorder battery allows me to swap the battery packs.

I've found that the Powerbank can go for 1.5 h and drop to 3/4 capacity, according to the meter. So between the Powerbank and the camcorder battery, I've never had a problem.

I bought the third party battery off eBay, and it was pretty cheap $20 if I remember correctly. The drawbacks is that you can't charge it when attached to the camera, and there is no indicator to how much juice is left.
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com