Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what to do, what to do???  (Read 20356 times)

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
what to do, what to do???
« on: January 18, 2004, 04:08:33 PM »
i just bought some new adk tl's and i've been thinking about what pre & a/d i'd like to run behind them.  to start out w/ i'm going to be running my pmod ua-5.  i have thought a lot about either getting a v3 or minime so i'd have a all in one pre & a/d.  but from the sounds of it most people are running a diff pre or a/d w/ them so i've been thinking of maybe saving a little cash and getting some of the older pre's & a/d.

these are some i've been thinking about psp-2 & the v2.  some of the a/d i've been looking at are AD500e, AD1000, & mod Sbm-1.  i am over looking anything?  the ad500 & ad1000 really make me nervous b/c apogge doesn't fix them anymore from what i remember reading.  anybody who has run the tl's have any comments on these diff. pre & a/d.  i think right now i'm leaning towards a psp-2 & mod sbm-1.  do they still even sell the psp-2 new anymore?  how much are they going for used these days?

Thanks,
justin
save

Jason B

Re:what to do, what to do???
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 04:19:37 PM »
No, they do not make the PSP-2 anymore. You can find them for $600 to $700 used. I run both the V2, PSP-2 and modSBM-1 with my TL's. I have said this before, and I'll say it again, the V2 is the best overall pre for the TL's in my opinion. The PSP-2 has it places when it is the best choice, but overall, I like the V2 with them. TL > V2 > modSBM-1 will sound great.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 04:20:04 PM by Jason B »

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 04:50:55 PM »
...to be running my pmod ua-5.  i have thought a lot about either getting a v3 or minime so i'd have a all in one pre & a/d.  

is not the ua-5 an all in one?

well, you spent the extra money already on an upgraded preamp, so I would go for a nice a/d to run behind it(the p-modUA-5).  The modsbm-1 would be a nice choice.  If you want to dump the UA-5 as well, then I'm with JB

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 05:03:20 PM »
sorry i should have made this a little more clear.  it's either keep my ua-5 as a all in one unit, or sell it and get a diff. pre & a/d.  i don't think the pre in the ua-5 is up to par w/ a v2 or psp-2.  sounds like jason b has had a chance to run pretty much all of the pre & a/d i'm looking at and it sounds like the v2 & mod sbm-1 is the best choice.  anybody else what to chime in?
save

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 06:48:36 PM »
i think the v2 and mod-sbm1 would be a really nice combo with the tl's.  if you can get an ad500e at a really nice used price it might be worth it if it has been well taken care of and you can get a 30 day garuntee from the seller.

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 09:46:11 PM »
I have run TL > V2 > AD1000 it was probably my 2nd favorite combo. I'm sure mod SBM would be great too. My favorite would have to be m248 > AD1000 (what I run now.) I couldn't justify keeping the V3 I used for while. It is a nice pre (run hot) or AD (run low) but not both and at higher gain it just couldn't compare to my old V2 > AD1k tapes so I got rid of it. Now if your ready to go 24bit thats a different story. If you find a deal on a reliable Apogee snatch it up, thats if your willing to haul the batteries.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 09:48:47 PM by Swanny »
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004, 10:18:59 PM »
thanks for the comments so far guys, keep them coming!  i'm after researching prices i'm starting to wonder if i should just get a minime.  there's a used minime for $950 on the yard sale section.  a v2 seems to be running about $650 & $550 for a mod sbm-1.  has anybody done a v2 & mod sbm-1 vs. minime comparison?  right now i think i'm going to rule out the older apogee units just b/c i'm a little nervous about them brake down (unless i find a really good price on one of them).  

so right now i'm debating between v2 & mod sbm-1 and a minime....still thinking about the v3 a little too???  the minime seems like the best choice right now (cheaper & all in one box).  any others things i should consider?
save

cpclark

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 02:18:23 AM »
i run v2>mod sbm1 and would love to do a mini comp if someone is willing to lend me one for the upcoming moe. show at the norva, great sounding venue in the mid-atlantic region, one of the best actually or the 9:30 club shows, ill take great care of it

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 07:10:22 AM »
i'd definitely be interested in hearing this comp. if u end up doing it.  come on somebody let him borrow you minime...you know u want to ;)
save

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 10:43:59 AM »
I wouldn't bother with that comp. The Apogee would clearly smoke the mod SBM. The dithering scheme isn't up to the UV22 challenge. Although it is unbeatable for its size, but if your running TL's size isn't an issue...
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004, 10:45:41 AM »
I wouldn't bother with that comp. The Apogee would clearly smoke the mod SBM. The dithering scheme isn't up to the UV22 challenge. Although it is unbeatable for its size, but if your running TL's size isn't an issue...

not a fair comparison though....with any apogee that is not called a minime you run the risk of having a $300-$500 doorstop.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 11:00:24 AM »

:lol:

the comp is between a line mod sbm-1 and a minime.... have you ever heard a mod-sbm-1? I just traded a minime for a modsbm-1 and cash, and I don't run crap. I've owned and/or run all of the apogee's and the modsbm-1 gives all of them a run for their money.

I'd take a modsbm-1 over an ad500e, ad1000 and a minime (if running 24bit isn't a concern). A stock sbm-1, blech... never cared for it but the modsbm-1 is a totally different beast that easily competes sonically with any of the apogee units without all of the apogee bullshit (poor ergonomics, large size,12v batteries on the older units, heat on the old units).

Go over to oade and do a search in the archives about the modsbm-1... you'll see it holds it's own.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Jason B

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2004, 11:04:34 AM »
It definitely holds it's own, but come on Tim. It isn't up to par with the Mini Me. It sounds great, but the Mini Me is much smoother and refined sounding (to me). I do not think the Mini Me "smokes" the modSBM-1, but it does sound better.

-JB

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2004, 11:08:27 AM »
The msbm-1 can NOT hold the ad1k. ;D

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2004, 11:09:27 AM »
when run line in it does, not mic in...

when I make the jump to 24bit it'll be with a minime, no doubt about it. but if the choice is between v2->modsbm-1 and straight minime, and 24 bit is not a concern, then I'd give the nod to the v2/mdsbm-1 combo.

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2004, 11:13:47 AM »
i absolutely LOVE my v2>ad1k combo.  can't touch it, in my opinion.
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2004, 11:16:21 AM »

it's damn close sonically and when you account for all of the BS associated with an ad1000 and the fact that you can't get them fixed when they break (which could be tomorrow or in 6mos, it's a big gamble) I'd give the nod to the modsbm-1 over the ad500e and ad1000 at this point.

Offline Tim

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2004, 11:17:41 AM »

will you still love the ad1k when all it is good for is a doorstop?

I can understand people riding it out with the older apogee units if they already have had one for awhile but no way would I recommend someone to buy one now.

Jason B

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2004, 11:19:15 AM »
but if the choice is between v2->modsbm-1 and straight minime, and 24 bit is not a concern, then I'd give the nod to the v2/mdsbm-1 combo.

Between V2 > modSBM-1 and straight Mini Me, yeah, I can see going with the former. Between the V2 > modSBM-1 and V2 > MMe, You have got to admit, this combo rocks (v2>MMe), and is a different beast.

-JB
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 11:20:08 AM by Jason B »

Offline Tim

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2004, 11:22:08 AM »
V2->MiniMe was my favorite combo when I had the minime, loved it... preferred it over the V3 and straight minime. v2->minime is a great combo and if you have the extra cash I highly recommend it!

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2004, 11:24:50 AM »

will you still love the ad1k when all it is good for is a doorstop?

I can understand people riding it out with the older apogee units if they already have had one for awhile but no way would I recommend someone to buy one now.

hopefully it won't become a doorstop.  I baby this thing.  Was given a clean bill of health before i bought it, and hasn't failed me in about 2 years now.  Granted, when it eventually craps out, which all gear does, not just apogee, I will most likely not fix it -- I'll just get a v3  :P ;D  Go team Grace!!!!

H

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2004, 11:30:31 AM »
baby it all you want, it still fry's itself from the inside out...

all gear does not just crap out....

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2004, 11:35:16 AM »
baby it all you want, it still fry's itself from the inside out...

all gear does not just crap out....
sure it does.  show me a vintage neve desk(some of the best built pieces of equipment ever) that never crapped out and needed repair.  All gear eventually craps out.  The question is "how soon".  If that's the question, then yes, apogee pieces do seem to die a little sooner than others, but it all dies at some point.

H

The Upstream Mend

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2004, 11:45:28 AM »

it's damn close sonically and when you account for all of the BS associated with an ad1000 and the fact that you can't get them fixed when they break (which could be tomorrow or in 6mos, it's a big gamble) I'd give the nod to the modsbm-1 over the ad500e and ad1000 at this point.

If you add all those factors in then yes, the mSBM-1 gets the nod. I was only refering to their sonic characteristics. I should have said, "the sbm-1 can NOT hold the ad1k...sonically". I agree, the msbm-1 comes close but IMO, it's still not up to par with the ad1k (line in or mic in). With that said, I own a ad1k and I'm looking for a msbm-1 to add to my collection.

Stoopidstp, you can't go wrong with V2>mSBM-1 or V2>MMe.  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 11:55:40 AM by Mic D »

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2004, 12:04:28 PM »
Sorry to piss in the pool guys ;) But I've heard a lot of mod SBM combos, and I almost always wish they would have run an Apogee. The mod for the SBM does not effect the dithering scheme. I don't think SBM is much better than the AD in the M1, and you can have the M1 modded too.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 12:21:33 PM by Swanny »

Offline Tim

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2004, 12:08:52 PM »
Sorry to piss in the pool guys ;) But I've heard a lot of mod SBM combos, and I almost always wish they would have run an Apogee. The mod for the SBM does not effect the dithering scheme. I don't think its much better than the AD in the M1. Especially since you can have it modded too.

quit listening in Natelsky's car  ;)

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2004, 12:13:05 PM »
I think he's been listening to me... I was an apogee fan before I even met him.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2004, 12:13:35 PM »
I don't think its much better than the AD in the M1.

I can say that about a stock sbm-1 but not the modded version.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2004, 12:17:46 PM »
I'm in the same boat(can only afford 1 or the other)...have run a V2 once behind the TL's and I absolutely loved it, but I cant afford a V2 AND a ADC right now...been thinking of getting a MMe till I can afford a seperate pre, which would almost obviously be a V2...

unless(in a month when my tax returns come in) someone would be willing to sell a V2>mod-SBM1 for the price of a MMe?! :)

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Tim

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2004, 12:24:33 PM »
to me Bigham has best described the sound of a stock sbm-1...
"I think it tends to make almost every mic sound like an sbm1."  

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2004, 12:31:30 PM »
part of the problem with the mod sbm-1 is alot of folks look at it as a toy, since it does not appear to be a pro tool, like the AD1000.  Honestly, the Mod-SBM-1 holds its own over the AD1000 in my opinion, and quite honestly, even if the improvement is only marginal, the other advantages (size, powering options, ease of use, ability to get it repaired, etc.) beat it hands down.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2004, 12:42:33 PM »
IMO, sonic characteristics weigh down ergonomics any day. That's just me, though.

Now imagine if this was the Oade board. Right now, there would be about a hundred more post in this thread with about 10 extra anonymous people posting. +T's for keeping it civil yall!

Jason B

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2004, 12:44:50 PM »
show me a vintage neve desk(some of the best built pieces of equipment ever) that never crapped out and needed repair.  

Like that piece of shit Neve Capricorn Digital desk. Blech... What a piece of shit. That thing would break down every week!

-JB

Jason B

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2004, 12:46:45 PM »
IMO, sonic characteristics weigh down ergonomics any day. That's just me, though.

I, 100%, agree with Kevin here. Apogee's are cumbersome to run, but when I get home, it's the quality tape I made with that cumbersome unit I enjoy, not a memory of how light my bag was walking to and from the section.

-JB

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2004, 12:57:54 PM »
For real. I think I might have to make some shirts/stickers that say.... "My door stop makes better tapes than your light show." You think people would get it? :)

Jason B

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2004, 01:00:04 PM »
"My door stop makes better tapes than your light show."

HILARIOUS KEVIN! :lol: +T to you!

-JB

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2004, 01:03:03 PM »
dont misquote me here, my opinion stands that the Mod SBM-1 holds its own against the AD1000 sonically any day, and all the other issues are just a bonus.  What I was trying to get across is that I think that quite a few folks judge the SBM-1 on its appearance being toy-like, than the actual sound.  Hell with this being said, maybe we need to do a blind test of the Mod-SBM-1 vs. the AD1k...only problem I see is that there would not be a good way to keep the pre consistent.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2004, 01:04:32 PM »
"My door stop makes better tapes than your light show." You think people would get it? :)

NOT better than my Schoeps MK4/KC5/CMC6 > V3 light-show tapes!!   8)

[ insert here: 26 pissing match posts about who makes the sweetest tapes and why my gear and the recordings I make are better than *everyone's*...oh, wait, this isn't the old Oade board after all  ;) ]
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2004, 01:06:22 PM »
go check the oade archives for some feedback on some ad1000, ad500e, modsbm-1 comps.

if we were just talking ergo's I can understand saying sound wins out, but with the ad1000, ad500 we're talking reliability and serviceability too.

hey, I'm an apogee fan... used one from '99 until just a few weeks ago...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2004, 01:06:34 PM »
Hell with this being said, maybe we need to do a blind test of the Mod-SBM-1 vs. the AD1k...only problem I see is that there would not be a good way to keep the pre consistent.

I'd love to hear a comp like this.  Why wouldn't there be a good way to keep the pre consistent?  Just run V2 > split > AD1000 / modSBM-1.  Can't avoid the AD1000 analog stage anyway, but running the external pre minimizes its impact as best we can.
Roland R-05

Jason B

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2004, 01:07:48 PM »
What I was trying to get across is that I think that quite a few folks judge the SBM-1 on its appearance being toy-like, than the actual sound.  

I totally hear you Nick, and understand your thoughts. I, for one, do not discount the sbm-1 simply by looks, but I can see now how that can be an issue though. I own one, and really like it. I have yet to run mine personally since having it back from Doug, but have run many borrowed units in the past.

Speaking of the mod, isn't it protocal for Doug to send back the parts that were taken out in exchange for the upgraded components? Whenever Paul at ProDig, or anyone else for that matter replaces parts on gear I have sent them, they always send back the replaced parts. Didn't get them from Doug and was just curious.

+T's to yous guys.

-JB
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 01:08:36 PM by Jason B »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2004, 01:09:00 PM »
I'd love to hear a comp like this.  Why wouldn't there be a good way to keep the pre consistent?  Just run V2 > split > AD1000 / modSBM-1.  Can't avoid the AD1000 analog stage anyway, but running the external pre minimizes its impact as best we can.

good point...I am game....who has an AD1K and V2 to lend me  ;D

Offline Tim

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2004, 01:10:05 PM »
if I can coax JC down from the mountains I'll see if we can use his ad1000 for some comps with my modsbm-1

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2004, 01:41:13 PM »
might be able to ship out my v2 and ad1k for comps...when were you thinking?

The Upstream Mend

Jason B

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2004, 01:41:56 PM »
might be able to ship out my v2 and ad1k for comps...when were you thinking?

Heath, you are the man. +T

-JB

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2004, 01:49:17 PM »
dont misquote me here, my opinion stands that the Mod SBM-1 holds its own against the AD1000 sonically any day

We hear things differently then.

Offline Brian

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2004, 01:49:22 PM »
i don't think one single taper in the whole state of MO runs a mod sbm1 or ad1000 ::) got a v2, w-mod ua5, sr77s, and some TL's though :P

brian

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2004, 01:57:57 PM »
We hear things differently then.

good thing we do, otherwise we would all be running the same crap!

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2004, 02:03:59 PM »
Hell with this being said, maybe we need to do a blind test of the Mod-SBM-1 vs. the AD1k...only problem I see is that there would not be a good way to keep the pre consistent.

I have a V3, ad1k and a msbm-1 in my closet right now so maybe I need to do some comps to end all this jibba-jabba.   :)

Jason B

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2004, 02:05:07 PM »
I have a V3, ad1k and a msbm-1 in my closet right now so maybe I need to do some comps to end all this jibba-jabba.   :)

Who's sbm?

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2004, 02:06:45 PM »
Oh yea, +T (in 12hrs) Heath for having the balls to lend out your 1k. That is the only piece of gear I will not let anyone borrow. Every second counts..... ;D

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2004, 02:12:05 PM »
If you do do the comp, you'll have to send me a copy so Marc & I and listen to it in his car.... If anyone wants to lend me a mod SBM I'd be happy to run some comps, but no one around here has had one since marc sold his. +Ts all around...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 02:13:11 PM by Swanny »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2004, 02:13:24 PM »
Thanks Heath!  But since it appears we may have all the gear here local (I believe Jason still has a V2), it may make some sense to try this test with "locally procured equipment.  Jason, Kevin, when do you suggest to give this a run?  And what mics would be best for the test...?  ADKs? MGs? 4022s?

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2004, 02:15:59 PM »

Who's sbm?

My buddy, Frank's. I just realized that with in a 45 minute radius of my house, included my own stuff, I have  
access to...

4022's, ccm4's, cmc6'4/41s, 480's, 2x m148's, V3, 2x ad1k's, psp-2 and msbm-1. Now if we could just get some good music in our area...  

Jason B

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2004, 02:16:24 PM »
Thanks Heath!  But since it appears we may have all the gear here local (I believe Jason still has a V2), it may make some sense to try this test with "locally procured equipment.  Jason, Kevin, when do you suggest to give this a run?  And what mics would be best for the test...?  ADKs? MGs? 4022s?

How about all 3? If we have to go with one, I'd say your MG's

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2004, 02:22:27 PM »
For a pre / A/D comparison, most definitely the 4022s.  Most neutral of any of the mics possible to use.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 02:22:50 PM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Tim

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2004, 02:29:49 PM »
i don't think one single taper in the whole state of MO runs a mod sbm1 or ad1000 ::) got a v2, w-mod ua5, sr77s, and some TL's though :P

brian

Jerry Meyer has 2 sbm-1's sitting in his closet, they're just stock though.

Steve Brothers/Matt Kinder and company run dpa/psp2/ad1000

Offline Brian

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2004, 02:47:03 PM »
i know jerry, he's on moheads. i uploaded my dead 7/02 tape to his server over the summer.

i have never heard of those other two guys though. although now that i think about it, some dude came up to me after the last Robert randolph show and kept talking about how he and his buddy do a lot of "stealth" shows with dpa's, a psp2, and a ad1000. that's one hell of a stealth rig. so i guess that was either matt or steve.

Brian

Offline Tim

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2004, 02:49:23 PM »
Steve helped me buy my first DAT deck, awesome guy. They're panic FOB guys... Marc copied his rig off of them. Steve's great...

I did Atlanta NYE, Hampton and Vegas with Jerry last year.... hell of a guy! Known both of them since 97 or 98.

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2004, 02:55:13 PM »
My buddy, Frank's. I just realized that with in a 45 minute radius of my house, included my own stuff, I have  
access to...

4022's, ccm4's, cmc6'4/41s, 480's, 2x m148's, V3, 2x ad1k's, psp-2 and msbm-1. Now if we could just get some good music in our area...  

you're allways welcome to my 140's, hell i still have my mbho's as well.

I agree with jamie though, i think the 4022's will do best for the comp.

in regard to the ad1k's and 500e's....has anyone other than the apogee folks ever tried to do the repairs??? or are the deaths of the boxes just an all around old age deal that becomes too involved? (i do know about the clock and crystal issues but no idea as to thier design and fixability)
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2004, 02:56:58 PM »

Have they been using the same door stop, ahem, ad1k for all this time?

Jason B

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2004, 02:57:56 PM »

Offline Brian

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2004, 02:58:50 PM »
that's cool. yeah the dude at the rr show was pretty cool. he started breaking down all my gear while i was dealing with people wanting my email address.  i was kind of nervous, but he was all like "trust me dude i do this all the time. don't worry about"

i'll have to start exchanging some emails with jerry. he lives literally 5minutes from house in ballwin.(i live in manchester). maybe he'll be cool enough to let me send in one of his sbm1's to get modded by oade in exchange for letting me use it ;D
then i can ask joe shambro, ever so nicely, to let me borrow his V2 and then i can run ADK TL's>V2>ModSBM1>M1 :drool:

brian

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2004, 03:01:15 PM »
access to...

you're allways welcome to my 140's, hell i still have my mbho's as well.

I agree with jamie though, i think the 4022's will do best for the comp.

in regard to the ad1k's and 500e's....has anyone other than the apogee folks ever tried to do the repairs??? or are the deaths of the boxes just an all around old age deal that becomes too involved? (i do know about the clock and crystal issues but no idea as to thier design and fixability)

Paul at www.prodigitalinc.com works on them. He's had my AD-1000 for almost 2 months now. He told me he can't guarantee the ability to repair every problem on the AD-1000's, due to lack of parts.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Tim

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2004, 03:02:21 PM »

Have they been using the same door stop, ahem, ad1k for all this time?

I think they have a couple of them... they have 3 psp2's

oh and Brian... you should definitely try and go over to Jerry's house! Fat ass basement, pool table... shuffleboard... dart's. Almost every pre-hiatus Pollock and the biggest DAT collection you have ever seen. Oh yeah and he's got a nice bar with Fat Tire on tap... sweet house!

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2004, 03:05:17 PM »
Paul at www.prodigitalinc.com works on them. He's had my AD-1000 for almost 2 months now. He told me he can't guarantee the ability to repair every problem on the AD-1000's, due to lack of parts.

i figured a lack of parts was a big part of it.
2016 National Champions

Offline Brian

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2004, 03:10:12 PM »
jeezus a couple od ad1k's and 3 psp2's???? damn!

and damn, i'm definitely going to try to get a hold of jerry! Fat Tire on tap? hells yeah! definitely sounds cool enough to let me mod one of those sbm1's 8)

Brian

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2004, 03:12:27 PM »

My buddy, Frank's.

Sulloway?

-JB

yep. I was gonna try to buy it from him but I think I just found one.

Jason B

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2004, 03:21:54 PM »
Speaking of the mod, isn't it customary for Doug to send back the parts that were taken out in exchange for the upgraded components? Whenever Paul at ProDig, or anyone else for that matter replaces parts on gear I have sent them, they always send back the replaced parts. Didn't get them from Doug and was just curious.

I think this may have slipped under the rader, and wanted to repost it to see if any of you had an answer.

-JB
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 03:22:36 PM by Jason B »

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2004, 03:39:19 PM »
if you guys change you rminds and need a v2 or ad1k, let me know...between shipping 2 pairs of mics to jason and possibly lending out the v2 and ad1k, i'd have almost no gear left (although still enough to be dangerous  ;)  )

The Upstream Mend

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2004, 11:00:30 PM »
thanks for all the feedback guys.  i love this site, everybody can voice their opinion and there's no childish name calling like similar sites ;)  

+t everyone for all of you opinions on this topic!

-Justin
save

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2004, 10:48:00 AM »
heath, lets do a 480>v3 coax >dat  and a
                          480>v3(analog out)>ad1k!!!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2004, 11:20:51 AM »
sounds good to me.  tell me when.  ;D

The Upstream Mend

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2004, 11:35:38 AM »
sounds good to me.  tell me when.  ;D

howz about at moe, 2/6-7/03, looks like im hitting BOTH nites, so i can do a 2-nite comp w/ enuf batts!!!! 8)

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2004, 11:52:54 AM »
where is moe playing?  that's the selling point for me...

The Upstream Mend

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2004, 12:21:16 PM »
they are playing the 9:30 club.
2016 National Champions

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2004, 12:50:59 PM »
heath, lets do a 480>v3 coax >dat  and a
                          480>v3(analog out)>ad1k!!!!

Pretty sure I know which one of these will win out.....
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2004, 01:36:12 PM »

This is exactly the kind of comment (not saying this comment *will*) that gets people riled up needlessly.

We all need to get it through our thick skulls (including my own), that there is no "winning".  Different people's ears and brains prefer different sonic recording characteristics on sonically different playback systems.  Period.

If by "win" you mean you know which gain stage(s)/ADC combo your ears and brain will prefer recording a certain style of music with the AKG 480 mics/caps and played back on a particular playback system, then sure, the post makes sense.  But otherwise, doesn't mean a whole lot (not trying to get personal here, we're almost all guilty of this kind of mind-set now and again).
Roland R-05

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2004, 02:07:04 PM »
very true.

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2004, 02:13:12 PM »
I hate it when Skalinder is right... damn!

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2004, 02:47:32 PM »

If by "win" you mean you know which gain stage(s)/ADC combo your ears and brain will prefer recording a certain style of music with the AKG 480 mics/caps and played back on a particular playback system, then sure, the post makes sense.  But otherwise, doesn't mean a whole lot

OK, I'll clarify.

IMO, the V2>ad1k combo would sound better than the  straight V3, regardless of which mic's you put in front. Course, I could be totally wrong, and if a comp is done,I'll definitely give it a listen.  :D

In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2004, 02:49:39 PM »
IMO, the V2>ad1k combo would sound better than the  straight V3, regardless of which mic's you put in front. Course, I could be totally wrong, and if a comp is done,I'll definitely give it a listen.  :D

Okay, so you think the V3 > AD1K source will sound better to your ears/brain on your playback system regardless of the mics.  I get it, now.  Why didn't you say so?   :P
Roland R-05

BobW

« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2004, 10:00:03 PM »
No repair support from apogee on legacy products ?
Just think, no support from Sony on a Mod-SBM1, either.
Ditto on Edirol and the modded UA-5's

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2004, 10:06:30 PM »

how many SBM-1s do you hear about losing their ability to send a digital signal?

Jason B

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2004, 10:14:52 PM »

how many SBM-1s do you hear about losing their ability to send a digital signal?

But they are just toy's Nick. Apogee's have professional sync clocks in them.  ;)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2004, 10:17:40 PM »
But they are just toy's Nick. Apogee's have professional sync clocks in them.  ;)

I wish I had some of those professional sync clocks I could put on the market...I could retire!

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2004, 11:02:49 PM »
if anybody wants to get rid of one of those "toys" let me know, i'd be glad to take it off their hands  ;D
save

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2004, 11:04:21 PM »
if anybody wants to get rid of one of those "toys" let me know, i'd be glad to take it off their hands  ;D

not a chance...I love mine.  Even when I become convinced that a minime or V3 would rock my world, I will be keeping my Mod SBM-1...virtually idiot proof!

Offline Tim

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2004, 11:09:06 PM »
while I have every intention of getting a minime for when I go 24bit the modsbm-1 is here to stay. kinda like the m148. I might get a different pre to compliment the m148 but I'll never sell it.

ideally I'll be running u89s/some active setup with both the m148/v2 and as well as both the minime/modsbm-1

that should keep me covered for most situations!

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2004, 01:36:36 PM »

This is exactly the kind of comment (not saying this comment *will*) that gets people riled up needlessly.

We all need to get it through our thick skulls (including my own), that there is no "winning".  

Ska, did you join the special olymipcs? wait, that would be the opposite.....nevermind

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2004, 07:19:36 AM »
while I have every intention of getting a minime for when I go 24bit the modsbm-1 is here to stay. kinda like the m148. I might get a different pre to compliment the m148 but I'll never sell it.

ideally I'll be running u89s/some active setup with both the m148/v2 and as well as both the minime/modsbm-1

that should keep me covered for most situations!

i agree tim, my ideal setup would be 480's(all caps)/audix micros w/ a v3/148 and a mod-smb1 when i need a little detail taken away from the v3 ;) ;D

also,a sd722 and a jb3 so transfers are GONE!!! 8)

but ill NEVER sell my d-8, tahts for sure!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.264 seconds with 116 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com