Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any way to fix a recording with volume too low?  (Read 2691 times)

Offline foofanatic

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Any way to fix a recording with volume too low?
« on: October 23, 2009, 06:08:37 PM »
I taped Our Lady Peace this past Tuesday (10/20) and since my Zoom H2 was a piece of shit and I sent it back I had to use my MD recorder. I taped the show in LP2 mode since House of Blues watches tapers meticulously and I didn't want to have to do a disc change. The problem is that I went Panasonic Mics -> Battery Box -> the line in on my Sony MD. I was used to taping through the Mic In with plug in power so I turned the levels down too low. The music only registers to the 3rd bar max on my level monitor. 

This recording sounds great and I would like to save it. I tried using the headphone out into the back of my soundcard to see if I could fix it for the time being. But when I boost the level the hiss is louder than the recording from the headphone volume being up on the MD unit so loud I think. I think if I transfer this in digitally to the computer then boost it I shouldn't have any problems when I normalize/amplify it should I?

I was thinking of trying to borrow/buy a Hi-MD unit from someone. That's the only thing that does LP2 transfers all digital other than those foreign shelf units right?  Or am I wrong?  I was just wondering if someone could give me some insight.  I don't want to buy a Hi-MD recorder/player then figure out I couldn't have saved this recording anyway. 

Any help you guys could give me would be much appreciated.  Thanks for your time!

Brad

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
Re: Any way to fix a recording with volume too low?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 06:15:37 PM »
maybe re-do the transfer via the headphone jack with the levels set low and boost it on the computer. it might be quieter doing the amplification that way as opposed to the headphone jack...just a thought
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »
Better yet find a way to transfer it digitally to your HD and use sound forge or similar audio editing program to normalize the levels...never transfer via a headphone jack or other analog output when you have a digital option.  Normalizing will magnify everything, so depending on how low is low on the master levels, you will also amplify noise as well but the results should be acceptable...there's no free lunch, so no matter how you do this there will be some level of increased noise but this will be your best bet to get an acceptable result.  If you don't have the means to transfer digitally and can't find someone who can then transfer out of the line out (and not the headphone out) and then normalize, this will be your next best option.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

stevetoney

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 11:30:17 PM »
After normalizing, you could also run a noise signature of a passage between songs that has nothing but hiss (no music) and then use Soundforge or another software program to filter the hiss out.  I've had pretty good luck doing this.

Offline foofanatic

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 04:29:47 AM »
Thanks for the responses so far guys!  Really giving me a lot to think about.  Is a Hi-MD the only MD unit that will do an all digital transfer of MDs recorded in LP2 mode though other than the really expensive foreign MD decks?  I have a Sony MDS-JE520 that I do most MD transfers with that has an optical out but it won't play discs in LP2 mode.  I think I'm just gonna buy a Hi-MD player to do transfers with from now on.  Don't need the record function on it though since I just bought an Edirol R09HR. 

That Zoom H2 had to go.  The Line In jack was broken from the time it came out of the box and then the Mic In jack was broken as soon as I got my gear into the venue to tape Sunny Day Real Estate.  And I didn't drop it or anything.  It just crapped out on me.  Total junk.

Offline Giant_Rick

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 09:18:09 AM »
The only way to upload a recording made with a MDLP device is the Sony RH1; sorry, you can't use any other Hi-MD unit.
Perhaps you'll find someone who'll be so kind to do the transfer for you..

What MD do you have? Does it have a line out?

Offline kylieshotpants

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 12:13:29 PM »
part of the noise will be from the soundcard

I still use mini disc for all my taping and found that an external usb soundcard such as griffin i mic improves the quality-although you may not wanna buy one for just one show!

Offline foofanatic

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 04:46:14 PM »
Right now I am using an xitel InPort as an external soundcard to do my analog transfers. I had to use that since I'm going headphone out from my MD. If does not have a line out. I have a Sony MZ-G750 that I used to record the show in LP2 and an old Sony MZ-R30 which is no good to me right now since it doesn't play discs in LP2 mode.

Didn't know there was only 1 hi-MD unit that could transfer LP2 discs. That's a bummer. I might just have to send it to someone to transfer it for me and send it back when they are done. 

Offline jerazis

• Taperssection Newbie
    • http://www.shnflac.net/index.php
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 11:29:37 PM »
  Not sure what software you use on your computer but often times the CLEAN way to amp volume is to double tracks ....lay the the stereo image out in your program then add the same track over its self. This will double your volume for sure, ZERO hiss! kind of like doing a matrix but with the same source.
!!!!!PC AUDIO!!!!
 In the field.... AKG c1000s -> (Edirol m10-dx for the occasional multi mic mix) Shure fp-24-> Korg MR-1
 Play BACK..... Lynx L-22 on board sound card -> ART SLA-100
 Cassette Transfer... Tascam 112 -> Korg MR-1 DFF
 Audio Processing Wave Lab 5.0 with UAD 1
 DAT transfers.... Sony PCM-R300 -> Lynx l22

Offline dunebug81

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 11:56:55 PM »
I've got an RH1 and would be happy to transfer the disc for you.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline foofanatic

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 01:20:35 PM »
Thank you for all the offers to transfer this for me guys! I actually just picked up a Sony MDS-PC3 on eBay the other day for about $75. Transferred this and did what "jerazis" said. It sounds great now and the volume is right where it should be with no hiss at all. Considering it was hitting at about -42db before I did this and now you can never tell it was that low I'm really proud of the outcome. I know it's months later, but  I wanted a PC3 to do transfers of Foo Fighters masters anyway so I just waited to get one to do a proper transfer of this show. Just wanted to thank everyone very much for all their time and suggestions. You guys here are the best!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com