Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Volume problem of a brand-new mic  (Read 3801 times)

Offline wagnerian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • My Blog
Volume problem of a brand-new mic
« on: April 10, 2010, 11:47:10 PM »
I had recently bought a lavalier mic, Beyerdynamic MCE60. The link below is the specification:

http://goo.gl/Ok44

This is an unbalanced MONO mic and has two separated GND wires as seen in the picture below. I have connected a 3.5 STEREO plug to this mic, because I could not get a 3.5 mono plug. Thus I've joined the cold pin and GND pin at the plug with solder to make the stereo plug into a mono one.

It worked OK, except for one problem: The volume is significantly lower than other MCE60 mics which I'd been using for about a year. A brand-new mic which is worse than a used product? I don't want to believe the brand-new one has any defect. I ordered this mic from overseas. :(

Now, I have two questions.

Firstly, when I joined the cold pin and GND pin at the plug, I melted quite a lot of solder between the pins and then joined the GND wire of the mic. Now I'm wondering if this lot of solder can cause the volume loss.

Secondly, there are two separated GND wires at the mic as I've stated above. And the outer wire, beneath the black outer shield as seen in the picture above, does not seem to be connected with the head of the mic. So I'm wondering if it is correct to join the outer GND wire with the inner one.

My recording device is Korg MR-1 and I don't use a preamp.
http://www.korg.co.uk/products/digital_recording/mr/dr_mr1.asp

Sorry for my poor English and thank you for reading this.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:43:40 PM by wagnerian »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Volume problem of a brand-new mic
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:50:27 PM »
I had recently bought a lavalier mic, Beyerdynamic MCE60. The link below is the specification:

http://goo.gl/Ok44

This is unbalanced MONO mic and has two seperated GND wires as seen in the picture below. I have connected a 3.5 STEREO plug with this mic, because I could not get a 3.5 mono plug. Thus I've joined the cold pin and GND pin at the plug with solder to make the stereo plug into a mono one.

It worked OK, except one problem: The volume is significantly lower than other MCE60 mics which I'd been using for about a year. A brand-new mic which is worse than a used product? I don't want to believe the brand-new one has any defect. I have ordered this mic from a foreign country. :(

Now, I got two questions.

Firstly, when I joined the cold pin and GND pin at the plug, I melted quite a lot of solder between the pins and then joined the GND wire of the mic. Now I'm wondering if this lot of solder can cause the volume loss.

Secondly, there are two seperated GND wires at the mic as I've stated above. And the outer wire, beneath the black outer shield as seen in the picture above, does not seem to be connected with the head of the mic. So I'm wondering if it is correct to join the outer GND wire with the inner one.

My recording device is Korg MR-1 and I don't use a preamp.
http://www.korg.co.uk/products/digital_recording/mr/dr_mr1.asp

Sorry for my poor English and thank you for reading this.

Take a picture of your connection.. As in most cases 99% of the time its a bad solder joint.. You could still have a bad mic.. Also different mics will have different sensitivities.. So you cant expect one pair to be the same as another.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:28:21 AM »
Since you say that you are not using a preamp, we assume that you are using plug-in power?
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline wagnerian

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:46:46 PM »
Take a picture of your connection.. As in most cases 99% of the time its a bad solder joint.. You could still have a bad mic.. Also different mics will have different sensitivities.. So you cant expect one pair to be the same as another.

Thank you for the reply. The plug is already filled with mold. I don't want to break it yet, because the mic works OK anyway.

Now, I'm wondering if it is correct to join the inner and outer GND wires, or the outer wire is just a part of the shield and should be left unconnected.

Offline wagnerian

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:47:29 PM »
Since you say that you are not using a preamp, we assume that you are using plug-in power?

That's right. Korg MR-1 supplies 3V plug-in power.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com