Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "File damaged" error message Sony M10 during record?  (Read 3154 times)

Offline BusDriver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
"File damaged" error message Sony M10 during record?
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:32:50 PM »
I've had limited use of the m10 over the past 2 months and encountered this message when recording this weekend. I was recording on a new sony 8gig card. 1st set about 50 minutes was fine. At some point during 2nd set the file damaged message popped up. Recording was started again and went fine for about 40 minutes, then same message. I was unable to find the 2nd segment ( _02.wav) and was unable to play the 3rd ( _03.wav) until the next day.!?

I admit I'm new to digital, but the last several weeks have been ok. The new piece here is the sony M2 card. What do I look for to keep it happening again. Is the card defective? Does this symptom happen often? I believe I formatted the card in the recorder prior to using it. Recordings on built-in memory are fine.

Thanks in advance.

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
Re: "File damaged" error message Sony M10 during record?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:54:03 AM »
I would bet it's a bad card. Much cheaper to go the micro sd route anyway.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 01:33:09 AM »
Maybe get what you can off the card, remove it, reinsert it (to reseat it), format it again in the M10, run it a few times till full and see if it keeps misbehaving.  If so try another card.  If that's ok then it would certainly appear to be a faulty card.

Offline BusDriver

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 09:02:45 PM »
Responding to my own post .... 

Since this original post in 5/2010 I have been using the same card without issue. Fill it up, empty it, reformat, fill, empty .... It has performed without issue for hour after hour. Now, for the 2nd time I had the "file damaged" message when I checked during recording.

I was using 48/24. I estimate I was 1:45:00 +/- into the recording. I hit record to resume, of course a new file is created, and the previous one remains, but is not accessible. Is it gone? or how can you get at it? or does an error simply eliminate all data if the file is not closed via the 'stop' function?

That the card has performed reliably for over 100 hours, has been swapped in and out, reformatted and shown no problem for the past 8 months .... what is up with this?? Is it the M10 or the card?

More importantly, is the data ever recoverable? How?

Salt in the wound ... where i was taping last night  someone shows up with a D6 walkman. I remember mine fondly, still have it but needs work. I know damn well he only had to flip the tape but at least he wasn't plagued by a digital demon and walked out with a complete show.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 09:23:45 PM »
I had this happen. Replaced the card and have been fine ever since.

An 8GB MicroSD card is cheap. Worth it to just replace it.

I think I got part of the recording back, although I don't recall how. From what I remember I could get the file to play in some player. Pretty sure it was VLC. The recording was incomplete, didn't sound too great, and the band played a mediocre set so I just archived what I had, and didn't ever bother trying to salvage it.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 02:47:52 PM »
cards can go bad. Most reputable ones have lifetime warranties. Use it. What kind of card are you having trouble with? A bigname brand?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline BusDriver

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 01:48:55 AM »
The one that showed a problem was a Sony 8gb.

The frustration stems from the time - 7 months - between 2 isolated occurrences. The first time it happened I was very new to using digital media. I continued using the same card - filling, deleting, reformatting many times over. The second time , so long from the first is puzzling. If the card is bad, why is it not bad all the time. Wrinkled or snapped tape I understand, but this ...??

Is there any way to recover the file? It shows a large capacity and name, but passes to the next file when trying to play it.

Guess I will pull out the package and check the warranty replacement, if nothing else.

Thanks.

Offline tgos3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 09:37:01 AM »
for recovery, since you can see data are present, consider trying

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

I haven't used it, but they make other well respected freeware.  IIRC it came free with my San Disc firewire card reader (which died when i somehow stupidly reversed the computer end firewire gozinta plug and thereby fried part of its brain-- see, nothing is damned-fool-proof)

There are also other data recovery apps designed to work with flashcards.

tg

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.365 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com