Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best digital recorders for classical music  (Read 11848 times)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Best digital recorders for classical music
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 12:03:07 PM »
John, just to explain--some people here apparently use electret capsules plus a simple FET current amplifier stage that's wired so that it can be powered by either the low-voltage "plug-in power" of a typical Sony consumer recorder's mike inputs or else by an outboard "battery box" that at least in some cases, is said to give better handling of high SPLs. I don't think that when people use "battery box" they are usually talking about standard phantom powering, though some people here still use the term "phantom powering" as if it were something generic.

Also, there's a whole flock of people here who use consumer-oriented recorders with microphones that put out the higher signal levels typical of professional microphones. Especially since some rather loud music gets recorded around here, those folks often find that if they use the (consumer) microphone inputs of their recorders there is a real risk of overload, while if they use the (consumer) aux or "line" inputs, overall it works.

Sometimes, unfortunately, that approach is also motivated by the fact that when no signal source is connected to a recorder that has both mike and line inputs, if you listen through the recorder's output as you switch between the two input settings, you will naturally hear more noise when the switch is in the "mike" position. People sometimes try to judge the mike preamps of a recorder that way, when in fact this "test" says nothing much that is relevant.

Fundamentally what I think is perhaps not being made quite clear is that in the recording scene there are two general classes of equipment--consumer and professional. Consumer gear can be of high quality while some pro gear is not; the terms aren't necessarily an indication of quality. But they usually do imply distinct connection schemes and typical signal, sensitivity and overload levels. As a result it can be somewhat perilous to intermix equipment from the two realms, but a lot of that goes on, and sometimes people get caught by the differences.

Also, the two categories are sometimes deliberately confused for marketing reasons, e.g. a consumer-grade recorder might be fitted with balanced XLR (i.e. professional-seeming) microphone/line inputs, and sold by the company's professional division at professional prices (cough: Sony TCD-D10 Pro) but inside the case, its circuitry can't handle the high signal levels that professional condenser microphones put out, since that circuitry was designed for the lower sensitivity of most consumer microphones. So there are traps to be looked out for.

--best regards

Thanks for the explanation, DSatz - now I understand where he is coming from.

By the way - I have been reading recently the "White Paper" on AES42 microphones that you translated into English - very interesting.  I am giving a paper on Digital Mics at the European AES in May - I am talking to all the mic. manufacturers to make sure I have all the bases covered.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 01:29:41 AM »
Thanks both DSatz and John.

If you look at Markus's original post, he was talking about a budget of $200, and was hoping to use built-in mics. This means consumer-grade equipment and not a fancy preamp/mic combination.

I think built-ins are inadequate for the nuances of classical music.

The combination I suggested, the PCM-10 plus little SoundPro mics or Church Audio mics and a battery box, would already be over his budget, but at least it wouldn't multiply it.  The PCM-10 doesn't have XLR inputs, just a 3.5mm jack, so the outboard stuff would be geared to that.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 02:06:16 AM »
Thanks both DSatz and John.

If you look at Markus's original post, he was talking about a budget of $200, and was hoping to use built-in mics. This means consumer-grade equipment and not a fancy preamp/mic combination.

I think built-ins are inadequate for the nuances of classical music.

The combination I suggested, the PCM-10 plus little SoundPro mics or Church Audio mics and a battery box, would already be over his budget, but at least it wouldn't multiply it.  The PCM-10 doesn't have XLR inputs, just a 3.5mm jack, so the outboard stuff would be geared to that.

I agree, he DEF needs external mics and a BB/Preamp, and just a small $200.00 recorder. What about that Tascam DR-5? Its only $100.00....
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 09:58:59 AM »
I am giving a paper on Digital Mics at the European AES in May - I am talking to all the mic. manufacturers to make sure I have all the bases covered.

If possible, I'd like to give that a read once you complete it, John.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 05:48:27 PM »
I am giving a paper on Digital Mics at the European AES in May - I am talking to all the mic. manufacturers to make sure I have all the bases covered.

If possible, I'd like to give that a read once you complete it, John.

Send me a PM at the end of May after the AES.

I have to finish it in less than a week and send the text to the AES so they can publish it (so I'm writing all hours of the day now to get it finished).  It may appear in the Journal later.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »
Will do, thanks.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com