Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: $500-1,000 for playback  (Read 3939 times)

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
$500-1,000 for playback
« on: June 18, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »
i am looking to upgrade my playback from an apogee duet > senn650's.  just moved into a new place, so i have room to set up a set of speakers and a turntable.  i am not looking for audio perfection (most likely will not be doing any sound dampening etc., at least not to start).  my primary ways of listening to music will be vinyl and digital (ipod or computer or WiFi)  for speakers, i've got a surround sound set of polks that were a gift and are likely fine for now, but always open to suggestions.

i put a wide range on the budget cause, spending less is always better, but not always better.  dig?

dont really have a preference (or much knowledge ) about integrated / pre + power / tube v. ss

looking at the NAD
c 326bee integrated amp
http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-326BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier

and the Denon DP300 turntable.

should i be budgeting for a reciever / cartridge / etc?  first time and i admit im a bit ignorant.
thanks.
lb
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
Re: $500-1,000 for playback
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »
hey I just got the Senn 650's!

I'm looking for a cost effecient way of driving them from my Pioneer Elite SC-05.  That may well even be enough on its own, but I thought I'd see what people thought.  Just got them two days ago and looking to really make these sing.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:41:47 AM »

I'm looking for a cost effecient way of driving them from my Pioneer Elite SC-05.  That may well even be enough on its own, but I thought I'd see what people thought.  Just got them two days ago and looking to really make these sing.

check out audio-gd.com they have made a series of amps that people really like that arn't spendy. A bunch of people over on head-fi have raved about them in general.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 10:54:30 AM »

check out audio-gd.com they have made a series of amps that people really like that arn't spendy. A bunch of people over on head-fi have raved about them in general.

I own the audio-gd FUN DAC / Head Phone Amp / Pre Amp They drive my AT50's with ease. You can mix and match chips modules etc. I have been thinking of upgrading the USB 16/48 mine came with to the new 24/96 chip he is using now.

It is a very nice sounding solidly built piece of EQ Best 300 or so I have spent in a while. Very versatile.

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 11:33:01 AM »
Hey Luke-

Pick up the Grace M901 on Head-Fi for $600.  Use it as your DAC/headphone amp (pairs great with the 650's) running digital out of your computer.  Grab a pair of PSB Alpha B1 for $225 on Digital Craze.  Then grab a DTA-100 t-amp from Parts Express for $100.  Kick ass setup.  Won't cover your phono needs, but someone may be able to recommend a sleeper setup for that.  This would allow you to listen to some quality music and build upon your system as funds allow.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline spcyrfc

• Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 01:39:31 PM »
Hey Luke-

Pick up the Grace M901 on Head-Fi for $600.  Use it as your DAC/headphone amp (pairs great with the 650's) running digital out of your computer.  Grab a pair of PSB Alpha B1 for $225 on Digital Craze.  Then grab a DTA-100 t-amp from Parts Express for $100.  Kick ass setup.  Won't cover your phono needs, but someone may be able to recommend a sleeper setup for that.  This would allow you to listen to some quality music and build upon your system as funds allow.

probably gonna pass on speakers for now.  couldn't find the m901 over on head-fi, tho that would be one helluva a piece of gear to have, and i will need a DAC.  that dta-100 amp is tiny. i'll look into it a bit more. 
if you find that grace, send me the link plz.
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 01:51:11 PM »
Luke,
Did you get the phono preamp sorted out?
There is an AudioTechnica on closeout at www.needledoctor.com for around $45. I got one for our bedroom stereo which is too modern for having a phono-in.
It was delivered today, and its build seems fairly nice. Its quite small too.
The folks at needledoc got the thing out and here really quickly. Top notch customer service so far (first time using them).

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com