Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Simple" Quad Mic Rig  (Read 7233 times)

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
"Simple" Quad Mic Rig
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »
the idea of running a quad mic set-up is very appealing to me.  i'm trying to think of a way to take my fairly simple stereo set-up (mics --> external pre-amp --> digital recorder) and expand it to a "simple" quad set-up. 

the main variable driving my current idea for a quad set-up is this: i really love my Aerco MP-2 pre-amp and i'd prefer to keep using it.  the only problem is that Aerco does not make a 4-mic version.  so to solve this issue i'd be willing to pick up a 2nd MP-2, and run two stereo pairs through two MP-2s. 

assuming i use the MP-2s, i really woudn't need a feature-rich high-end digital recorder like a SD744 or an Edirol R4 pro.  my needs for a recorder would primarily be 4 XLR jacks along with the ability to recording 4 separate WAV files (one for each mic) or a single stereo WAV file (two mics to each channel) in 24-bit.  as a personal preference i'd also like something that allows use of a micro SD card (units that use a built-in hard drive are not my first choice).

based on the aforementioned about the pre-amp and the recorder, this is where i land...  quad mics --> two MP-2s --> Tascam DR-680. 

i do not see folks running a set-up anything like this, so my idea is somewhere between slightly unconventional and stupid.  not being sure if i am closer to the former or the later, i'm throwing the idea out there for feedback and constructive criticism.

thanks in advance.     

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: "Simple" Quad Mic Rig
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:34:25 PM »
What do you mean by 'quad mic set-up'?  Surround record? Two different stereo setups to compare and maybe mix together?  Multi-channel array of 4 mics with the intent of mixing to stereo? (like adding out-rigger mics to a central pair) Something else?

No problem or anything particularly unusual about the setup you invision.  You might consider the Edirol R-44 instead of the R-4Pro which is less costly and has no harddrive.  Its simple to operate and reliable.  It takes standard SDHC cards (could probably use an adapter to use your mini-SD cards) and records your choice of four mono files, two stereo files or one 4-channel file.  It does not have the capability of mixing tracks in the machine as it records.  The Tascam DR-680 can do some internal mixing and panning and has additional channels.  It also takes SDHC.  Some are having problems with it recently so you may want to wait until those issues are addressed.  The R-44 is simpler and limited to four channels, but very reliable.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:20:50 PM »
I am also confused here. What are you trying to accomplish, surround?

my needs for a recorder would primarily be 4 XLR jacks along with the ability to recording 4 separate WAV files (one for each mic) or a single stereo WAV file (two mics to each channel) in 24-bit.  as a personal preference i'd also like something that allows use of a micro SD card (units that use a built-in hard drive are not my first choice).
I also don't understand this.
Two mics in each channel?
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

cashandkerouac

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:12:52 PM »
I am also confused here. What are you trying to accomplish, surround?

my needs for a recorder would primarily be 4 XLR jacks along with the ability to recording 4 separate WAV files (one for each mic) or a single stereo WAV file (two mics to each channel) in 24-bit.  as a personal preference i'd also like something that allows use of a micro SD card (units that use a built-in hard drive are not my first choice).
I also don't understand this.
Two mics in each channel?

sometimes it's hard to properly articulate what's seems to make sense in my own little brain, so thanks for the initial feedback.

yes, two mics into each channel is a possibility.  whether i record four mics directly to stereo or mix 4 separate tracks to stereo in post-production, i'm flexible.

as for what i'm trying to accomplish...  i'm trying to capture a coupe of additional tracks that could be mixed in with my primary stereo pair for added depth, better spatial representation, and/or a richer more nuanced recording.

i hope this helps clarify.  thanks!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:16:16 PM by cashandkerouac »

cashandkerouac

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 10:42:55 PM »
You might consider the Edirol R-44 instead of the R-4Pro which is less costly and has no harddrive.  Its simple to operate and reliable.  It takes standard SDHC cards (could probably use an adapter to use your mini-SD cards) and records your choice of four mono files, two stereo files or one 4-channel file. The R-44 is simpler and limited to four channels, but very reliable.

not quite sure how i missed the fact that the R44 records to SDHC cards, but many thanks for the reminder.  this little tidbit really swings the pendulum towards the R44. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 11:24:31 PM »
yes, two mics into each channel is a possibility.  whether i record four mics directly to stereo or mix 4 separate tracks to stereo in post-production, i'm flexible.

as for what i'm trying to accomplish...  i'm trying to capture a coupe of additional tracks that could be mixed in with my primary stereo pair for added depth, better spatial representation, and/or a richer more nuanced recording.

Gotcha, that's pretty much what many others are doing as well.

R-44 will record the tracks seperately, then you mix them later, which most prefer so they can control things.  The DR-680 can do the same, but can also record a seperate stereo on-the-fly mix of the other 6 channels, panned and leveled however you like.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 07:21:42 AM »
I run four mics at every show, unless I have a soundboard patch, into my R-44 for exactly the reasons you listed. It's the perfect device in my opinion. It's of particular benefIt when a band swaps from plugged in to unplugged - leave on set of mics as is and adjust the second set to capture the new lower levels of the performance. Guster do this at every show and the flexibility afforded by this setup is awesome.
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 02:15:56 PM »
I run 4 mics from time to time and you can definitely add more options doing things that way, combining, for example, hypers and wide split cards or omnis to be able to choose how much direct vs. reverberant sound you want. 

See the "Recording Gear" thread I started re: the DR-680.  Unless you plan to run 4-6 mics + SBD (which unfortunately, was what led me to buy the unit in the first place) I think you'll be happier with the R-44.  It's slightly smaller, feels much more solidly built, is easier to use, and is a second generation product, making improvements on the original R-4s.  I have been extremely happy with mine and it gets very regular use.  I've seen few if any problems with it on this board compared with a host of problems with the 680s, which have only been out a few months or so. 

MP-2s are certainly nice pres.  It will be a bit of a PITA to run two battery powered pres plus the deck plus four mics, but I won't doubt you on sound.  I now typically run one external pre on the mics I consider the "main" pair and run the other mics direct into my Oade mod R-44.  Even the stock pres on the unit sound pretty good, but the Oade mod gives it more clarity I think.

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 01:34:35 AM »
What about mic-modelling solutions when one uses a quad mic setup like the tetra-mic or similar?
They are not necessary here?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 11:42:05 AM »
^^ There's a nice long thread about that that I started in which Gutbucket's posts are a very interesting read.

The Tetramic and the more expensive Soundfield SPS200 can make amazing recordings.  They both allow you to do all of the necessary mixdown in post (rather than live on the fly, which for most of us is too big a hassle).  They are definitely an intriguing option.  I think the issue is whether the extra work in post, and the quality of the individual caps, is a worthwhile tradeoff.  The Tetramic is Audix capsules; the Soundfield are MBHOs.  I've heard incredible recordings with both, but they are, at least to some people, not quite where your Neumann/Schoeps/DPA type mics are.  It really depends.

Also, for what most people here do, it may really be the case that in the end, an ORTF or DIN pair of cards or hypers is about as complicated as it needs to get.  So while having all that extra functionality is nice, people won't really use it, and therefore, would rather spend equal money to get "better" stereo mics - for the price of the Tetramic you could have a nice used pair of AKGs, and for the price of the Soundfield, you could get a used set of Schoeps/Neumann/DPA.  For that matter, for not much more than the tetramic, you could get a pretty new pair of AKG 414s and have all of the same options (albeit, not after the fact).

I think the main reason they aren't discussed more here, though, is people are simply unfamiliar with them.  They offer some intriguing possibilities. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

cashandkerouac

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 03:28:28 PM »
i read through most of the posts about the DR-680 and it's a mixed bag.  there are some real horror stories, but also plenty of great reviews.  at the end of the day the DR-680 seems to have more of the features and flexibility that i'm looking for, so it looks like the Tascam wins out.  who knows, i may end up picking up an R-44 at some point, but i'm going to take a chance on a DR-680 with the Busman mods.     

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 05:05:33 PM »
To quote Clint Eastwood, "... you’ve got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'" Given that you might really, really need factory service for your DR-680, I wouldn't suggest having it modified. A main board failure may be a low-probability event, but it's apparently not quite as low-probability as it ought to be with this model, and the cost of going without warranty protection could be quite substantial.

Just a thought ...

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 06:05:13 PM »
To quote Clint Eastwood, "... you’ve got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'" Given that you might really, really need factory service for your DR-680, I wouldn't suggest having it modified. A main board failure may be a low-probability event, but it's apparently not quite as low-probability as it ought to be with this model, and the cost of going without warranty protection could be quite substantial.

Just a thought ...

--best regards

Very good advice as usual.  The -680 is a first-gen device of this type for Tascam.  First gen devices always tend to have more problems.  At minimum, on any first gen device, you're rolling the dice somewhat, and some of us here have clearly had our luck turn up against us. 

If you don't like the sound of the pres in it (and I think they sound fine) you're better off going with a compact outboard pre like a littlebox or USBpre2 (of course, assuming the deck will accept its digital input, which mine would not).  At minimum, I'd use it hard for several months and see if it seems to be one of the "good apples" before I had it modded.

cashandkerouac

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 07:18:24 PM »

Just a thought ...

--best regards

Very good advice as usual.  The -680 is a first-gen device of this type for Tascam.  First gen devices always tend to have more problems.  At minimum, on any first gen device, you're rolling the dice somewhat, and some of us here have clearly had our luck turn up against us. 

If you don't like the sound of the pres in it (and I think they sound fine) you're better off going with a compact outboard pre like a littlebox or USBpre2 (of course, assuming the deck will accept its digital input, which mine would not).  At minimum, I'd use it hard for several months and see if it seems to be one of the "good apples" before I had it modded.

while i really like the features of the DR-680 i definitely want a reliable unit.  that being said, the last two responses have given me pause about the DR-680.  luckily i'm in no major rush, so i have time to chew on all this great feedback.  i wish there were more options at the price point of the DR-680 and the R-44, but these seem to be the only two contenders.     

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 05:08:56 PM »
I've thought about this same kind of thing.  I happen to have the DTS surround sound software, and could assign 4 tracks to 4 channels and then listen to it in the living room on the movie-oriented surround sound system.  I even gathered 4 AT853's figuring I could make a more-or-less coincident quad setup on the cheap.

Then I asked myself "when would I actually use it?"  I had to face the fact the answer was, in my case at least, "not very often".    99% of the time I want "what's going on up front", and I really am trying to ignore "what's going on behind".  I can't envision many cases where it would be useful to mix in mics pointing backwards.

Surround would be wicked cool in 3 instances that I can think of.
a) the standard bluegrass thing of huddling around 1 mic.  I don't tend to hang with that crowd much, so it wouldn't happen often.
b) Halloween a few years ago, Gov't mule played Pink Floyd music and had rear surround speakers and sound was swirling around the room.  It would have been cool in that case, I could have captured that and played it back at home, but I'll probably never be at a show like that again.
c) nature recordings.  if you could go out in the bog with frogs peeping in every direction, it might be cool.  But I would need 4 really quiet, matched mics (better than AT853's).  not in my budget.

As far as 4 mic stereo mixes with mics pointing forward... I know a lot of people do it, but I'm not a big fan, and I definitely wouldn't do it on the fly.  Maybe people that do it see themselves as a great chef inventing a new recipe, I'm not sure.  Maybe they really are better at it naturally than I am.  I dunno.  I think it generally introduces lots of phasing issues.  Every time I've tried mixing 4 mics in post it, I came to the conclusion that one of the solo tracks sounded better than the mix.    Even stage lip mid/side with split omni flankers... I always pick one or the other.  Of course, there is always one exception... one time, I think Hunter Mountain 2008, I ran Senn ME66 guns plus small omnis (Church?) and the sum was better than the parts.  But that was just because I had 2 extremes which were poor choices on their own... a proper set of cards probably would have been best in the first place.

As far as running 4 mics, and not mixing them, just because you can't decide what to run that night, I'm a big fan of that.  I'll run ADK-TLs cards and AKG483 hypers, and when I get home I decide which I liked best.  If it's a good room, not too boomy, I'll probably like the TL's source.  If it's boomy, I'd probably like the 483 source.  That helps educate me on what do bring the next time, and so on.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com