Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best covert recorder?  (Read 5374 times)

Offline mulchkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
best covert recorder?
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:07:30 AM »
First off, a humongous "thank you" to the community here. I've just joined and have already learned much from all the helpful insight.

I'm in the Republic of Georgia and am often around incredible music that I'd like to record. I'm looking for something small to keep in my "day bag" to capture at least some of these many beautiful moments. Often they are in churches, often in people's homes, sometimes even on the street. These are the reasons I'm in the market for a recorder and these are the types of situations in which I'll be recording.

For the sake of simplicity, I'd really like to keep it to one unit (using on-board mics... no external stuff). Perhaps this is an unwise decision? My main reasoning is simplicity. But I understand it's not really possme, ible to get quality recordings from the "in-the-pocket" or "in-the-bag" approach... which I suppose is one reason people use mics (ie. keep the recorder discrete and mount the mic to clothing, etc.). The main reason I'm looking for a discrete set-up is for churches. This means no flashing lights or bright colors. And as to the "how," one thought is to simply find a spot where I can leave the recorder during church services, close to the choir. Another thought is to use a recorder that doesn't look like a recorder (like the Sony PCM-M10) and simply hold it, though this option has obvious drawbacks.

The narrowed down seemingly best options: Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H2, Tascam DR2D, Roland R-05, and Edirol R-09.

Any thoughts, recommendations, etc. are greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:43:33 PM by mulchkin »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: best covert recorder?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 01:13:20 PM »
I've owned a Zoom H2 and now have a couple of the Sony M10, and I definitely prefer the H2's internal microphones over the Sony. I've also used the Edirol R09, and I prefer the H2's mics to that too.

The H2 is very inexpensive now that they have newer machines (the H1?) so it should be an easy decision (unless someone can recommend the Roland or Tascam machines)

:-)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 05:33:28 PM »
Whatever you use, don't keep it in a bag. The mics are your ears, and you don't want them covered.

I'm curious, BTW...has anyone compared the internal mics of the H1 to the other Zooms?

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 06:58:03 PM »
I've also used the Edirol R09, and I prefer the H2's mics to that too.

The R-09's internal mics are absolutely terrible-at least for music. When I first got mine I recorded a 5 minute clip of a bar band and it was worthless (and I'm not all that critical).

I sent the R-09 off to Chris Church for the $100 Micsketeer mod and now it can make recordings that sound like the were made with good external mics.

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

mfrench

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:05:24 PM »
Its good to give away stealth secrets on the worlds leading live music recording forum.

Is stealth no longer stealth?

feels the hasselhoff itch coming on,....

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 08:14:48 PM »
Its good to give away stealth secrets on the worlds leading live music recording forum.

Is stealth no longer stealth?

feels the hasselhoff itch coming on,....

As much as I love when you Hoff these, maybe this one gets a pass? He is hoping to pull some Orthodox choir heat in Georgia, being discreet, not strictly  >:D the way we think about it. Having said that, PMs would be better.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 08:45:02 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                          Stealth Train Station 

<___[This is the 'Keep Stealth Discussions Stealth' Train][___]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:48:25 PM by tonedeaf »

mfrench

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 09:31:05 PM »
Wanna see me in my banana hammock?
Let me dry off a bit,...

Hasselhoff lite, ^^

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 09:41:33 PM »
OK, got it! Post removed and lesson learned. ;D

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 10:34:12 PM »
Wanna see me in my banana hammock?
Let me dry off a bit,...

Hasselhoff lite, ^^

Hate to see what he looks like when he gets up on plane....
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

mfrench

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 11:04:10 PM »
OK, got it! Post removed and lesson learned. ;D

FWIW,... my post wasn't really so much directed at your post.  It was directed to the typical string of people that line up to express their prowess in stealthing techniques after the floodgates are opened.
Security can and does use these types of threads to counter what stealth tapers do.  As a past admin here, I've seen it happen, and the aftermath, more than once.  Its best to keep stealth stealth.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 06:10:53 PM »
I understand where you're coming from completely.

Now what were we talking about again?  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com