Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-D100 Part2  (Read 114948 times)

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
Sony PCM-D100 Part2
« on: July 31, 2014, 08:29:59 PM »
Old thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=164484.360

Just pulled my first recording with this unit..who's got one and what are your experiences?

Definitely dont like the fact that the power switch does not lock with the hold on WTF is up with that?  Also is the DSD only DSF files at 2.8Mhz?

Can someone lock the old mile long thread, please!

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Re: Sony PCM-D100 Part2
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 01:49:42 AM »
DSD is definitely only DSDIFF files at 2.8. Same as the mr1.
But I swear by it. I've used an mr1 side by side with an mr1000 and 2.8 is huge enough.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Amir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 11:18:11 AM »
Just pulled my first recording with this unit..who's got one and what are your experiences?

Definitely dont like the fact that the power switch does not lock with the hold on WTF is up with that?  Also is the DSD only DSF files at 2.8Mhz?
In general, I very much like the PCM-D100's performance. However, as pointed out by some users, the limiter is a bit strange in that there are times when one can hear a loud sound and then a click as the limiter
returns the volume to normal. This is because it sometimes does the return all at once, and thus the click.
At any event, in combination with the USBPre2 the D100 absolutely shines. Even without the USBPre2 its preamps are quiet enough to take care of even the most demanding dynamic mics.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 09:13:29 PM »
Bump!

ilduclo

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 09:10:33 AM »
I've been doing more recordings with internal mics on my d5o........ sounds like the d100's are nearly as good at the d1's, without the extra size of the d1? anyone do any comparisons from d50, d1oo and d1?

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 10:22:56 AM »
I've been doing more recordings with internal mics on my d5o........ sounds like the d100's are nearly as good at the d1's, without the extra size of the d1? anyone do any comparisons from d50, d1oo and d1?
I haven't seen any comparisons with the D1, but you may want to take a look at the following for a D50/D100 mic comparison: https://soundcloud.com/sparrowsrest/comparison-recordings-made-with-the-sony-pcm-d50-pcm-d100-april-2014

ilduclo

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 11:16:35 AM »
thanks, Amir, I will check it out

Offline t.jay

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 04:17:40 PM »
Hey guys,

Is it possible to use the D100 as external microphone on my Mac (for Skype talks etc.)? Does it work via USB or do I need a special cable? Thank you for your help!

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »
Guys, yesterday I was recording a concert via the PCM-D100 internal mics from a front-row seat. I was recording with the 48/24 setting, Low-mic continuation and the 100SNDB feature set to on. As I finished the first hour of recording and the concert entered some sort of silent mode, I stopped recording and started a new file. However, after almost 8 minutes of recording the PCM-D100 suddenly turned off, prompting me to think that I'd run out of battery juice. But when I turned it on, the recorder displayed 2 battery bars and the next recording smoothly went ahead for the rest of the concert -- another hour or so. Now, as strange as my question might sound, what do you think might have generated that problem? I have 18GB of free space on the internal memory and haven't yet resorted to using a memory card for the D100. Should this be cause for concern in future recordings?
Also -- and as a relevant issue, I'm wondering when I should consider replacing the PCM-D100 batteries. Currently it displays 2 bars, but I don't know to how many minutes/hours these remaining bars can be translated. As I'm visually impaired (totally blind), I have no choice but to ask someone to check the battery status for me -- for fear of ending up with no juice. On the other hand, getting rid of these batteries which still have some juice left might be overkill. It's a pity Sony hasn't added the option to make its recorder menus/options talk -- most Olympus LS recorders have this great feature for the visually impaired.
Thanks for your comments and insights

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 08:47:09 PM »
Guys, yesterday I was recording a concert via the PCM-D100 internal mics from a front-row seat. I was recording with the 48/24 setting, Low-mic continuation and the 100SNDB feature set to on. As I finished the first hour of recording and the concert entered some sort of silent mode, I stopped recording and started a new file. However, after almost 8 minutes of recording the PCM-D100 suddenly turned off, prompting me to think that I'd run out of battery juice. But when I turned it on, the recorder displayed 2 battery bars and the next recording smoothly went ahead for the rest of the concert -- another hour or so. Now, as strange as my question might sound, what do you think might have generated that problem? I have 18GB of free space on the internal memory and haven't yet resorted to using a memory card for the D100. Should this be cause for concern in future recordings?
Also -- and as a relevant issue, I'm wondering when I should consider replacing the PCM-D100 batteries. Currently it displays 2 bars, but I don't know to how many minutes/hours these remaining bars can be translated. As I'm visually impaired (totally blind), I have no choice but to ask someone to check the battery status for me -- for fear of ending up with no juice. On the other hand, getting rid of these batteries which still have some juice left might be overkill. It's a pity Sony hasn't added the option to make its recorder menus/options talk -- most Olympus LS recorders have this great feature for the visually impaired.
Thanks for your comments and insights

Did You accidentally turn the power switch off?  This unit does NOT lock the power switch even after the hold is engaged..I taped the power switch on last
I took it out..also Tried this deck at a local bar for a friends band with the internal mics and there was all sorts of brickwalling even tho the levels were not over..shame on SONY..this deck should say FONY on it..lots of issues with this one.  Not happy at All :facepalm:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:48:58 PM by schoepsnbox »

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »
Did You accidentally turn the power switch off?  This unit does NOT lock the power switch even after the hold is engaged..I taped the power switch on last
I took it out..also Tried this deck at a local bar for a friends band with the internal mics and there was all sorts of brickwalling even tho the levels were not over..shame on SONY..this deck should say FONY on it..lots of issues with this one.  Not happy at All :facepalm:
No, but this hasn't yet happened to me. Unlike you, I very much like the PCM-D100's internal mics in concerts and venues. However, the PCM-D100 should be used with its Low-mic switch turned on in order for it not to distort. With the Low-mic switch, I can record very lound sounds even with the gain knob half-way or 75 percent up. Also, don't forget to use the supplied windscreen as it's a prerequisite for distortion-free recordings.

Offline Whatisvalis

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 08:30:41 AM »
Anyone done any ambient field recording with the D100?  How's the noise level?

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 10:28:05 AM »
Love the D100 for ambient recordings. Very low noise level.

ilduclo

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »

^ I went ahead and listened to the comparison recordings of the internals of the d50 vs the d100. Quite a bit of diff, and then I tried a quieter music set, electronics and vocals with the d50 internals. There IS a lot of noise in it.  I never noticed much, since I've only recorded LOUD sets with it so far.... but, not worth the $800 to me so far.....if I get quiet bands with respectful audiences, my dpa omnis do the job, they actually work well for everything BUT the quiet shows with loud chatty audiences.

Offline Whatisvalis

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »
I will be traveling for 6 months so I really need a portable recorder I can get good street ambiences / field recordings with. I have an m10, which is fantastic for loud stuff, but too noisey for ambiences.

Is the d100 a step down from the D50 for these situations?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com