Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-D100 Part2  (Read 114941 times)

Offline flipp022

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony PCM-D100 Part2
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »
what I wants of my money is , is that the sony pcm-d100 recorder , is 100% better as a cassette recorder  of the year 1983 ,

and that is not so , Sometimes I find the cassette recorder  WMD6C better ,

with loud live shows , then hear I not the cassette recorder  Noise, okay my ears is al 69 years old , I is tapper sinds 1959 , is too not so good for my ears all the year in loud Noise,
but I think , I hear it good , why is the sony pcm-d100 recorder  not much better, as old thing ?

Ane

Offline flipp022

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 12:05:54 PM »
what I wants of my money is , is that the sony pcm-d100 recorder , is 100% better as a cassette recorder  of the year 1983 ,

and that is not so , Sometimes I find the cassette recorder  WMD6C better ,

with loud live shows , then hear I not the cassette recorder  Noise, okay my ears is al 69 years old , I is tapper sinds 1959 , is too not so good for my ears all the year in loud Noise,
but I think , I hear it good , why is the sony pcm-d100 recorder  not much better, as old thing ?

Ane

I say al it fast recording of my pc loudspeakers , the sound is in windows in mp3 format , I play it on my pc , and recorded it , then wants I for my money , thar sony pcm-d100 is much better as cassette recorder , the mic is homemade so as Always , I used , what you hear , what is not so good comes by pc loudspeaker ,but it is, the difference of two recorder ,and that is a little bit, for a recorder of 800 dollar , that find I.

Offline imightgotothebeach

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 03:00:15 PM »
Yeah a strange review. The lack of XLR's is a major stumbling block for me. The D100 is a great recorder with good pre's and ADC. I only used mine 2 or 3 times before I sold it because I found it too big for comfortable stealthing (being paired with the XLR-1 as well for P48). If you just need a minijack input I would recommend it.

Thought I'd chime in, too.  I bought one of these and a Zoom H5 at the same time.  Comparing the built-in mics, the Sony sounded much better (and the build quality like others have mentioned is fantastic), but for me the Sony is so incredibly limited (mics aren't removable/ no XLRS/ etc)  I couldn't justify the $$$.

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 09:16:04 AM »
I take it that this deck has issues still? I love my m10. But I hear that you cannot put the deck on hold.
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 07:58:56 AM »
Well that is a great price but im a little apprehensive that ill receive anything,if anyone else gets one post here. ;)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2014, 11:58:26 AM »
Well that is a great price but im a little apprehensive that ill receive anything,if anyone else gets one post here. ;)

Sorry I even visited the link. They list a Sony M-10 carrying case @ $86.54 while they list the recorder itself @ $13.68. At least as bothersome is the mismatch between the company name displayed on the webpage and the actual url. Too many warning signs to even consider placing an order.

Offline flipp022

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2014, 12:37:45 PM »
you has equal , the website want Steal your money , look out

Offline t.jay

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 04:52:47 AM »
Does anybody know the difference between the "Limiter" function and the "S/N 100db" function? In the manual there is written that the 100db function is better for quiet recordings because it results in lower noise. But I made some tests with my Sony PCM D100 and I can't hear a difference when the 100db is off (and the limiter is on instead). Can anyone explain in simple words when and for what reason I should use the "S/N 100db" function instead of the "Limiter" function? Thank yo so much!!!

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2014, 06:23:13 AM »
Does anybody know the difference between the "Limiter" function and the "S/N 100db" function? In the manual there is written that the 100db function is better for quiet recordings because it results in lower noise. But I made some tests with my Sony PCM D100 and I can't hear a difference when the 100db is off (and the limiter is on instead). Can anyone explain in simple words when and for what reason I should use the "S/N 100db" function instead of the "Limiter" function? Thank yo so much!!!
The S/N 100DB function provides you with a better signal-to-noise ratio when recording. However, that improvement isn't noticeable in many instances to our so-called "naked ears" and you need a very quiet place to observe or demonstrate that. When this feature is active, you can't use the limiter. That is, they can't be used simultaneously.
As for the limiter, it allows you to avoid audio clipping by recording at a lower level. With PCM-D100 this works by lowering the volume by 12DB or so, and the justification is that increasing the volume later -- say on the computer/in the post -- is easier than dealing with distorted audio which can't be fixed in almost all circumstances.
I myself don't use the S/N 100DB feature unless I'm recording in ultra-quiet places -- a far cry from what you normally encounter in the world. Under such a circumstance you might get the benefits of quieter recordings.

HTH.

Offline Whatisvalis

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »
Just thought I'd bump this and see how those who have adopted the D100 are getting along?

I'm really having issues with the price considering a used D50 can be had for $250-$300.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »
Just thought I'd bump this and see how those who have adopted the D100 are getting along?

I'm really having issues with the price considering a used D50 can be had for $250-$300.
That's indeed a valid concern -- I myself grappled with the very same dilemma. However, if your major concern is an upgraded D50 experience (by that I primarily mean enhanced audio quality and improved SNr), the PCM-D100 would be hard to ignore as a viable option. As far as I'm concerned, I've been unabashedly using the D100 in places where there has been no need for stealth recording and the D100 -- mounted on a tripod -- hasn't disappointed me at all.

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2014, 02:39:51 PM »
I'm currently a happy M10 owner, using it with a Church Audio pre and DPA 4060's.

Questions about the 100:

Does the unit supply enough power for my DPA's?  The recorder itself is bigger than the M10, but if the preamps are excellent and the unit can power my mics, then I might be able to eliminate one box, one cable and one 9V battery from the set up. :)

If you record to one of the DSD formats, how do you then get the files into PCM for any post processing?  And, are the arguable benefits of DSD negated by that conversion to PCM?

I'm blind as well so Amir, if you're reading this, have you recorded anything in DSD and which software did you use to edit the results?  I usually clean things up in Sonar and Sound Forge, but both of those deal strictly with PCM.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2014, 03:19:44 PM »
I'm currently a happy M10 owner, using it with a Church Audio pre and DPA 4060's.

Questions about the 100:

Does the unit supply enough power for my DPA's?  The recorder itself is bigger than the M10, but if the preamps are excellent and the unit can power my mics, then I might be able to eliminate one box, one cable and one 9V battery from the set up. :)

If you record to one of the DSD formats, how do you then get the files into PCM for any post processing?  And, are the arguable benefits of DSD negated by that conversion to PCM?

I'm blind as well so Amir, if you're reading this, have you recorded anything in DSD and which software did you use to edit the results?  I usually clean things up in Sonar and Sound Forge, but both of those deal strictly with PCM.
Well, currently I don't have those DPA's to test them with the D100. Quite interestingly, A couple of months ago I was looking for a high-end set of so-called stealth mics to complement the PCM-D100 and was even willing to pay the proverbial arms and legs for them. However, having listened to many recordings made by them online and having had my own D100 in action for some time, I came to the conclusion that The D100's internal mics are true gems in and out of themselves -- withought an iota of exaggeration. Of course, I'm not an stealth recorder -- I even take my own tripod to the conserts and venues I attend; as such, my use might radically differ from yours. But if stealth recording isn't your major concern, the D100's internal mics -- especially with the Low-mic continuation switch and the provided windscreen at work -- would do a fantastic job. I can assure you that the D100 preamps are the best thing you can buy with less than $1000.
As for DSD, I don't use it at all. Honestly recording in DSD isn't worth it when I can't easily edit those files. So I consider DSD a potential plus -- or an investment -- for the future. Some might consider the D100's DSD feature a gimmick, but I believe Sony could have developed this recorder without any DSD-related features and still could have sold it for $795 if their concern had been to silence DSD naysayers. So, IMO, it's good to have DSD as it might prove much more useful in the future with the adoption of the format.

Offline cosmickc

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
    • Tape List
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2014, 09:26:22 AM »
Question.  I received a catalog from Andorama and it says the Sony PCM-100 "Records 4 external inputs in two pairs as two stereo audio files."  Is this true? I don't find this claim anywhere else.

Thanks

KC

Offline t.jay

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 03:13:02 PM »
Question.  I received a catalog from Andorama and it says the Sony PCM-100 "Records 4 external inputs in two pairs as two stereo audio files."  Is this true?

That's definitely wrong! The PCM D100 has a mic input and a line input (analogue/optical). Both are minijacks. It is definitely not possible to record more than one input at once.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com