Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 131677 times)

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #315 on: June 17, 2019, 08:16:02 PM »
So I just noticed that when recording to the SD card, my unit will start glitching, jumping and skipping recording when it gets near the end limit of the first recording file and also at the start of the second file. It's like trying to listen to a scratched CD where it jumps and stops playing for a beat.  Any idea if this is a recorder or card issue?  (SanDisk Extreme 16 gig)

Possibly reformat the card to see if that will alleviate the issue?
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #316 on: June 23, 2019, 03:05:21 PM »
So I just noticed that when recording to the SD card, my unit will start glitching, jumping and skipping recording when it gets near the end limit of the first recording file and also at the start of the second file. It's like trying to listen to a scratched CD where it jumps and stops playing for a beat.  Any idea if this is a recorder or card issue?  (SanDisk Extreme 16 gig)
Is the card from a sealed package from a known reputable SanDisk dealer in your country?

Try the internal memory if formatting the card doesn't help. If it glitches on the internal, then it's probably not the SanDisk.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #317 on: June 23, 2019, 06:55:05 PM »
Is the card from a sealed package from a known reputable SanDisk dealer in your country?

Try the internal memory if formatting the card doesn't help. If it glitches on the internal, then it's probably not the SanDisk.

Not an issue running on internal, only be SD card issue.  Card was bought from Bestbuy and it seems the problem only happens after I put the card in a reader and copy the files to my computer.  Formatted using the recorder and it looks to have fixed the issue.    Ran a test by putting mics in front of my stereo speaker and no problem.  Will still probably use internal memory first just to be safe.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline morst

« Reply #318 on: June 29, 2019, 12:24:52 AM »
Not an issue running on internal, only be SD card issue.  Card was bought from Bestbuy and it seems the problem only happens after I put the card in a reader and copy the files to my computer.  Formatted using the recorder and it looks to have fixed the issue.    Ran a test by putting mics in front of my stereo speaker and no problem.  Will still probably use internal memory first just to be safe.
OK- if other cards exhibit the same issue, then I would suspect your card reader, or even that your computer OS has a worm or virus and is copying something weird to cards!?
But it could certainly be the card itself, or (less likely based on the latest info) dirty contacts on the internal card socket.

Offline Records

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #319 on: July 02, 2019, 01:52:53 AM »
I came across this here and was wondering if it's true that phantom power devices affect the quality/noise you get? : http://thesoundmyheadmakes.blogspot.com/2011/03/quickie-shootout-744t-vs-pcm-d50-with.html

I currently have a Juicedlink to use with my Sony PCM-M10 when I need XLR inputs, but is a Sony XLR1 / Denecke PS-2 actually better?

Offline morst

« Reply #320 on: July 02, 2019, 04:08:19 PM »
I came across this here and was wondering if it's true that phantom power devices affect the quality/noise you get? : http://thesoundmyheadmakes.blogspot.com/2011/03/quickie-shootout-744t-vs-pcm-d50-with.html

I currently have a Juicedlink to use with my Sony PCM-M10 when I need XLR inputs, but is a Sony XLR1 / Denecke PS-2 actually better?
It's certainly possible to get a device which supplies phantom power and also affects the audio. That article from 2011 does seem to imply that build quality seems to affect sound quality. The "eye opening" weblink inside the link you shared here is to a dealer which chose not to carry the ART device because of its poor build quality. I've never heard of the Juicedlink so I can't comment on that.
When I ran my mics into the M10, I used the Beyer MV100 preamp, which provided a minimum of +20dB gain, and has XLR inputs, and RCA and mini outs, running off two 9-volt cells.
Manual here https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=103430.0
edit to mention that I've seen MV100's go for less than half of my original purchase price recently.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:10:44 PM by morst »

Offline SxPxDxCx

• Trade Count: (1)
    • THATSTHETHINGABOUTTHAT.blogspot
« Reply #321 on: August 24, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »
I had a venue employee either attempt to steal my M10 and AT mic package where I had it setup in an empty balcony for a show.  Or they just picked it up not knowing what it was and put it away in an upper room in the theater.  My friend that works at the theater discovered it almost a week after it went missing.  When I went to pick it up it the control lock was still engaged.  The recorded had filled up the the available memory and stopped recording.  But the device was still powered on after a week.  Now that is a hell of a battery life.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot:

MBHO KA 500 / KA 200N > Naiant IPAs / JKLabs > PCM-M10
AT933 C >SP-SPSB-1 > PCM-M10

Offline morst

« Reply #322 on: August 25, 2019, 07:20:40 PM »
...But the device was still powered on after a week.  Now that is a hell of a battery life.
I don't shut mine off except when changing batteries . They go to sleep about 20 min after activity stops. I got into the habit of leaving them on, after hearing that they'd lose their clock setting if they weren't powered up at ALL for months on end. (see the first couple threads!?!)
The batteries hardly drain when they're powered "on" but not doing anything. Months.

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #323 on: August 25, 2019, 07:50:12 PM »
...But the device was still powered on after a week.  Now that is a hell of a battery life.
I don't shut mine off except when changing batteries . They go to sleep about 20 min after activity stops. I got into the habit of leaving them on, after hearing that they'd lose their clock setting if they weren't powered up at ALL for months on end. (see the first couple threads!?!)
The batteries hardly drain when they're powered "on" but not doing anything. Months.

I did not know that! I sold my Sony PCM-M10's because of the internal clock not keeping "time", as I thought it was messing up. I only tape 3 or 4 times a year, so it'll sit without batteries for months between uses. Makes perfect sense. So I sold my precious M10's prematurely!  DOAH!!

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #324 on: August 25, 2019, 09:44:27 PM »

I did not know that! I sold my Sony PCM-M10's because of the internal clock not keeping "time", as I thought it was messing up. I only tape 3 or 4 times a year, so it'll sit without batteries for months between uses. Makes perfect sense. So I sold my precious M10's prematurely!  DOAH!!

YES!

But you can still record regardless of it asking for setting the clock,just hit record and add the date in post.

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #325 on: September 04, 2021, 07:39:20 PM »
The channels on my M10 are no longer recording at the same level. The right channel of the mic input is about 12dB lower than the left. The line input is only about 1dB off. This is a recent development--and has gotten worse over the last couple of recordings. No drops or other obvious sources of damage. My searches of the archives didn't pull up any relevant posts. (I probably didn't search well enough.)

It's well out of warranty, so I assume sending it to Sony (or other tech) for repair would be cost prohibitive. Anything I can do myself to fix?
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline morst

« Reply #326 on: September 04, 2021, 07:47:23 PM »
Call Sony service, and just check to see if they think it's still under warranty?
Otherwise find out their shop rates for such repairs, as you might find them favorable to some third party shops.
https://pro.sony/ue_US/support-services/services-support#MEAE800131ServiceCenterRepairProcedures-services-support

sounds like it might be a leaky capacitor? Or perhaps clean it with spray cleaner and see if it's just lint?

Offline morst

« Reply #327 on: November 06, 2021, 05:47:50 AM »

I used one of my M10's for the first time in a couple years, go figure.
Clock must have run out.
Files are named Z0000001.WAV, Z0000002.WAV etc and the date/time is an hour before midnight on Newyears 2008-2009.

Too bad this one has a cracked display.
I use my other one as a guide when I'm pressing buttons.
Resetting the clock should be fun!??!

YES!

But you can still record regardless of it asking for setting the clock,just hit record and add the date in post.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #328 on: November 09, 2021, 01:11:47 AM »
Ok here’s a tricky one.

I didn’t want to start a new topic because we were just talking about modded m10 recorders a page ago.
I have an m10 I sent to Doug to do a acm mod on.
I was pretty sure I had checked everything out and it was solid and everything worked as it should, but at the show, mic in was giving me left channel only or reading very little right channel using mic in. I pulled the cable out and switched to line in and had to go all the way to volume at 10 to get a decent level and then when the band started the levels looked fine but they would suddenly peak to full over and I would ease them down to reasonable— levels about 5– and they would look okay until suddenly they’d look way too low in a reasonably loud section so I’d ease them up and they’d jump to way over again.

This went on all night until I checked at the end applauding and realized I’d set the mic sens to high.

I hadn’t done that since the DAT days!

So my question is:

What the hell, man!

No, wait. My question is:
Is this something caused by the high sense setting?
Is there something I’ve overlooked, posting the sub menu?
(The recording setting was manual not auto)
Still, I don’t understand the physics of how this recording went wrong.
It was to the built in memory and not the card.
What I’m wondering is if I can trust the deck as my only deck for more shows if I change some settings or if I have to send it in for diagnostics? With this mod I’d expected to be able to use mic in for more gain, but never really need it at rock shows, but eventually I will.

Here is the tape, in all its messy glory:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/96c96281a7204ec398de47ab91e1860020211109030858/82ded2d96610b28b1c9ad18f50fd139120211109030916/6a4bc5

The weird skipping between loud and quiet and the super quiet portions have me confused.

Thanks for any interest in discussing!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #329 on: November 09, 2021, 07:09:31 AM »
^ The high sensitivity setting only applies to the mic input, so, if that was the issue, switching to the line input should have fixed it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com