Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 131631 times)

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2015, 09:43:04 AM »
When the card fills up I just put it away in a little box. All my original recordings are in there. It's comforting to know that they are all there safe in case my computer crashes, is stolen, or whatever…

I reuse my card, but not before I've backed up my recordings both to an external backup drive and to Crashplan. (Which is what I do with all my files these days.)

Also, forgot to mention that the M10 will cross-save data (with no gaps) to its internal memory and the card if it runs out of room on one or the other. Not sure if that's common for other devices, but it's a nice feature regardless.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2015, 09:46:03 AM »
Can an M10 that switches to internal memory even though the memory card is not full, be considered faulty? I never have issues when doing single shows, but at festivals this happens all day long. The memory card is no where close to full and it just switches to internal. Yes I have it set to cross memory and also have it set to record to card first. I'm going to do some tests at home with the cross record disabled, run it all day on memory card and see what happens.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2015, 09:49:16 AM »
I would consider that faulty.  Is it possible that the memory card is damaged or doesn't really have the capacity that it is supposed to have?

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »
What size card is it >and does it switch to internal at the same amount of data each time?Either the card is too big for the m10 or it is counterfeit i think.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2015, 10:11:30 AM »
try to use SDformat tool and then re-format in the M10 and re-test, imho

Offline ts

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2015, 11:08:51 AM »
It's a new 32GB SanDisk. This is the second card I tried. Also did the same thing with a 64GB Silicon Power, but I found the SP card to be bad. Both cards formatted in the M10. I guess its possible to have two bad cards. The SanDisk says it has 22 gigs free. I don't know if its switching to internal at the same amount of data each time. I'll have to check that.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2015, 12:28:32 PM »
how do the cards read in a computer? same volume (give or take a smidge) free?

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2015, 12:38:41 PM »
I'd wonder where the cards came from... 

The counterfeits have a way of reformatting to make them appear they have the nominal volume they're supposed to but they run out when the real size is reached.  It sounds like the card is holding about 8 GB?  Perhaps a cheap 8 GB card re-labelled and sold as a 32 GB "Sandisk"? 

As has been said around here a lot of times don't buy discounted cards on ebay or Amazon.  Make sure you buy retail packaged from some place like Staples, Best Buy or somewhere that is buying direct from the manufacturer...   

I'd be surprised if it's a real card.  In the computer as an exercise you could try copying 20 GB or whatever of files onto it and see if they actually fit. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline wppcproductions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2015, 12:55:30 PM »
Got to watch out for those counterfeits online or dollar store.

I just keep the micro in the M10 and transfer the recordings to to my backup drive and to a regular size SD for  backup and storage.

I had a PNY card go bad in my  new Nikon Digital camera last November .I send it to a friend who does file recovery and he said the the controller chip inside the SD fried and could not find a donor controller chip to replace the bad one.The SD card was about 4 years old and it was will used in my digital cameras  .The R-09HR,MP3 player Digital picture frame to just name a few. I think I purchased it at BJs or Walmart.Sorry about drifting off the topic.

Offline ts

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2015, 01:10:01 PM »
I don't think either card is counterfeit. They were bought from B&H. Both cards are to old at this point to return.

I always had problems with the SP card. Tried all kinds of formatters. But again, by the time I realized the card was toast it was to late to return it.

The SanDisk is reading as a 32GB on the laptop and it was formatted in the M10.

I'm going to try a different card and let it run with cross record off, but it is kind of hard to trust the recorder at this point. I did lose a couple sets over the weekend.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2015, 01:13:59 PM »
As has been said around here a lot of times don't buy discounted cards on ebay or Amazon.  Make sure you buy retail packaged from some place like Staples, Best Buy or somewhere that is buying direct from the manufacturer...   

I always thought Amazon was one of the legit retailers, provided you're not purchasing from a third party. I know that Sandisk sells directly on there and have bought from them in the past. Should I be avoiding Amazon as a whole for memory from now on?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2015, 09:28:05 PM »
I have had a genuine retail-packaged, full-price 64GB SanDisk microsd go bad on me before.  It wasn't right away, but after a few months using in my phone holding music, it read fine but acted as though it was write protected (it wasn't - you just couldn't delete anything or write to it.)  It couldn't be formatted in any device, and even a low-level format wouldn't work.  The replacement I bought has worked fine in 2 phones since then.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ts

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2015, 08:45:46 AM »
Its looking like I have a faulty M10. It takes two or three tries to get any card to load. There must be some damage inside that slot. This could be why its switching to internal memory while recording. I remember at a fest last year another taper tried to load the card backwards. :facepalm:

Anyone have Sony repair info? Or maybe I should just get another 70D. ;)

Edit: Looks like the LA service is the one for audio?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:28:26 AM by ts »

Offline wppcproductions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2015, 12:19:56 PM »
Its looking like I have a faulty M10. It takes two or three tries to get any card to load. There must be some damage inside that slot. This could be why its switching to internal memory while recording. I remember at a fest last year another taper tried to load the card backwards. :facepalm:

Anyone have Sony repair info? Or maybe I should just get another 70D. ;)

Edit: Looks like the LA service is the one for audio?

I wonder if the SDcard slot contacts need cleaning.I had issues with other devices with dirty contacts.Or the taper did screw up the slot like you said.I split open  fix one of my digital camera and clean the dust,pocket lint out of it and rebent the pins in.I dont recommend anybody doing  this unless they know how to work on  electronics.I had to do it with the R-09HR.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:21:56 PM by wppcproductions »

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2015, 12:51:17 PM »
Re ^ and ^^ and ^^^^

I don't think either card is counterfeit. They were bought from B&H. Both cards are to old at this point to return.

Cards from B&H should be legit, though the no-name one may have it's own issues...   

Amazon should be a legit but you have to watch out that it's really from Amazon.  Third party sellers can be anything and occasionally Amazon will take orders and flip them over to third party sellers in their channel.  I'd assume they wouldn't do that with cards but who knows...

The slot could be bad though I'm not sure why it would start out OK then at some point stop reading.  Perhaps it seems that was an interim problem before it failed completely though? 

Sorry to hear it...  The card slot is the one thing that makes me a bit uncomfortable about the recorder...  It seems really flimsy and it can be touchy on the load.  I may be used to it now but I did have one episode where it seemed loaded but wasn't completely and only showed the internal memory.  I'm starting to lean more toward the cable approach to transfer files despite how slow it is. 

Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com