Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 132572 times)

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #300 on: May 23, 2019, 10:26:01 AM »
I spose its a USB connection thing, or are you transferring a lot of data? When I transfer, via usb, it seems to be just as fast as it would be to take the card out, put it in a reader and pull it off of there. Another thing I do is copy the files as opposed to actually moving them. I think that's a little faster and you can always delete them from the m10 pretty quickly.  I also never delete a recording off of any recorder until it is copied both to my pc and to a cdr or dvdr. That's another way of insuring that I don't completely delete something that I want to keep,which I've done in the past way too often.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #301 on: May 23, 2019, 11:02:56 AM »
I spose its a USB connection thing, or are you transferring a lot of data? When I transfer, via usb, it seems to be just as fast as it would be to take the card out, put it in a reader and pull it off of there. Another thing I do is copy the files as opposed to actually moving them. I think that's a little faster and you can always delete them from the m10 pretty quickly.  I also never delete a recording off of any recorder until it is copied both to my pc and to a cdr or dvdr. That's another way of insuring that I don't completely delete something that I want to keep,which I've done in the past way too often.

It is a USB thing and I do sometimes transfer a lot of data at once. The M10 is in a stationary set-up recording a piano, and sometimes the files don't get downloaded for a long time. So it ends up being a multi-GB download when it does happen. Taking it out of the M10 and inserting it directly into the card slot of my computer makes for a very fast transfer/copy to a connected hard drive.

I agree about backups. These files don't get deleted until they've been copied to two separate external hard drives and then a disc backup onto DVD-R or BD-R.

I hope this cardboard thing works. The M10 is a gem and I'd hate to end up only being able to record to the internal memory.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

ilduclo

« Reply #302 on: May 23, 2019, 11:14:10 AM »
a suggestion there would be to have a laptop right there as part of the setup, it would make it a lot more convenient to transfer and then you wouldn't have to pull the card.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #303 on: May 23, 2019, 11:15:24 AM »
a suggestion there would be to have a laptop right there as part of the setup, it would make it a lot more convenient to transfer and then you wouldn't have to pull the card.

That's true. I might try that. Thanks!
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

ilduclo

« Reply #304 on: May 27, 2019, 02:48:21 PM »
interesting thing last night. I recorded 3 bands m10 showed them as

190526_01,
190526_02,
190526_03

must have ran out of room in whatever folder they were in (I am using the m10 as a mp3 player these days, too), so I ended up with another file in some other folder titled

190526_01 again....

If I rename it as 190526_04, seems to be the order of the show. Is this a typical thing for the m10? I've never had it happen before, so I am a little concerned. And, when it automatically creates a new file like that, is it seamless to the other one that was running at the time?

Mysterious, at least to me.  Input appreciated.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #305 on: May 27, 2019, 03:01:25 PM »
interesting thing last night. I recorded 3 bands m10 showed them as

190526_01,
190526_02,
190526_03

must have ran out of room in whatever folder they were in (I am using the m10 as a mp3 player these days, too), so I ended up with another file in some other folder titled

190526_01 again....

If I rename it as 190526_04, seems to be the order of the show. Is this a typical thing for the m10? I've never had it happen before, so I am a little concerned. And, when it automatically creates a new file like that, is it seamless to the other one that was running at the time?

Mysterious, at least to me.  Input appreciated.

That happens to me when I run out of space on my card and the m10 switches to internal memory (or vice versa). The date will be the same but the file numbers begin again at _01.

ilduclo

« Reply #306 on: May 27, 2019, 04:11:27 PM »
I appended the 2 files and it was a seamless match. Gotta be careful though, with 2 files with the same name. SONY! :smash:

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #307 on: May 28, 2019, 02:02:15 PM »
I appended the 2 files and it was a seamless match. Gotta be careful though, with 2 files with the same name. SONY! :smash:
You sure do have to be careful!

I would go ahead and rename it with the _4, but MAKE DOUBLE DAMN SURE YOU ARE DOING IT RIGHT and HAVE A BACKUP COPY THAT YOU DON'T DELETE UNTIL YOU ARE SURE.

Here is my Sony-naming file [near] loss story:

I have two M10's, and before I had a 4-channel recorder, they were my go-to recorders for both SBD & AUD sources. Well, one day, I though I'd be all smart, and start and stop both machines at the "exact same time." Of course, I got two files named the same, with file sizes within a megabyte of each other, and file lengths within a second.

I'm pretty sure that this is when/why I started keeping master files in separate sub-folders, sorted by recording deck!!!!
 :facepalm:
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #308 on: May 28, 2019, 03:42:18 PM »
Sucks that these war horses are all falling by the wayside in their old age. I guess Sony planted a time bomb so that they could sell more A10s
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #309 on: June 01, 2019, 07:01:38 PM »
Has anyone else had any issues with the mic input and Neutrik plugs?

I run CA14 > CA-UBB > M10. The UBB has a right-angle Neutrik output. After plugging in, if the plug is pressed inward slightly (toward the unit), the right channel will drop out completely. If I release pressure, the channel comes back. It's less than ideal for the way I roll and has ruined a couple of recordings.

I have made sure that everything is very clean, so I'm confident that's not it.

I did plug the CA14 directly in to the mic input and gentle twisting and pushing toward the unit does not cause any issues (it's a straight REAN plug), so it's most likely not the M10.

I'm open to any ideas for further testing and/or possible causes.

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #310 on: June 02, 2019, 06:54:30 AM »
Has anyone else had any issues with the mic input and Neutrik plugs?

I run CA14 > CA-UBB > M10. The UBB has a right-angle Neutrik output. After plugging in, if the plug is pressed inward slightly (toward the unit), the right channel will drop out completely. If I release pressure, the channel comes back. It's less than ideal for the way I roll and has ruined a couple of recordings.

I have made sure that everything is very clean, so I'm confident that's not it.

I did plug the CA14 directly in to the mic input and gentle twisting and pushing toward the unit does not cause any issues (it's a straight REAN plug), so it's most likely not the M10.

I'm open to any ideas for further testing and/or possible causes.

If I use a right angle plug with any of my recordes I tape a piece of strong foamed plastic underneath the horizontal part of the plug.  Just to avoid the stress to the cable/plug/jack you  described above.

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #311 on: June 02, 2019, 09:01:07 AM »
That's a good idea, thanks.

I took the plug apart and looked at it with a magnifier. The solder joints look poorly done; I can see a crack in the solder joint for the ring (right channel) connection. I have another BB that works fine, so it's definitely not the M10.

Online unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #312 on: June 02, 2019, 09:53:14 AM »
To relieve the strain, you might want to run a short cable (non right angle at one or both ends) between the M10's input and the plug from the UBB. 

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #313 on: June 03, 2019, 12:12:34 AM »
Also a great idea. My kid, who is studying electrical engineering, is going to bring his soldering setup over to help me out. I'm going to use a brand new plug.

Since this has nothing to do with the M10, back to the regularly scheduled programming!

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #314 on: June 17, 2019, 07:47:39 PM »
So I just noticed that when recording to the SD card, my unit will start glitching, jumping and skipping recording when it gets near the end limit of the first recording file and also at the start of the second file. It's like trying to listen to a scratched CD where it jumps and stops playing for a beat.  Any idea if this is a recorder or card issue?  (SanDisk Extreme 16 gig)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 07:52:24 PM by mrfender »
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com