Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-680 MKii  (Read 92956 times)

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Tascam DR-680 MKii
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2015, 09:34:07 AM »
I've not sync'd two of them, but that behavior is what I'd expect.  Clock on the slave machine should lock to the master over S/PDIF, although transport sync (start/stop times) may be off slightly.  If you haven't done so, you might try tuning off "pre-record" on both machines to see if/how that effects transport sync.

FYI, I did notice that the offset was different (233 samples I think) on another take. So apparently that varies somewhat. But still definitely in sync.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2015, 11:10:56 AM »
Since you have both the original and the MKii, a short recording comparison would be nice to hear or at least your impression of how much improvement there is in the mkii.

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2015, 11:12:10 AM »
Since you have both the original and the MKii, a short recording comparison would be nice to hear or at least your impression of how much improvement there is in the mkii.

I plan on doing that when I get some time. That said, the way things are going lately, I can't promise how soon that will be :)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2015, 11:14:49 AM »
Maybe the mkii will come down in price by then.   :)

Offline glennjr

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Professional Chinese Voice Over
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2015, 02:31:06 AM »
Any comparisons out there between original and mkii in regards to preamp noise levels at higher gain?

Phantom power on two of my channels are dead and the lcd screen doesn't work recently.  Trying to decide if I should repair it or spend the cash for the mkii.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:58:54 AM by glennjr »
ChineseVocal.com  - Professional Chinese Voice Over

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2015, 03:20:05 PM »
I'm in. 

Ebay with Porta Brace bag, $457.

My MK1 is still working fine, except it didn't recognize the presence of internal batteries the last couple times I used it.  No problem using external power.  Haven't really looked into that issue. 

Bid on this MKII on a whim when it came up and figured if I could get it for less than  $500, cool. 
So, cool, sure-enough.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 03:27:13 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2015, 01:36:51 PM »
TASCAM FIRMWARE ISSUE: Has anyone else noticed this?

I have used this deck extensively since swapping my original DR680. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this, as I am sure it is a firmware issue and is not unique to my deck. I have written Tascam Customer Service 6 times now but have yet to hear back. (I did get an automated response one time saying they would contact me after reviewing my letter, but that was it). I pretty much cut and paste the same letter with small modifications each time in the hopes that one day, I'll get a response. I get around the issue by leaving a note stuck to my recorder so I do not forget the issue which would be easy to do. Here are parts of the letter explaining the issue. I don't know if the issue existed on my DR680, because I never went digi with it. I do like the menu layout on the DR680MKII better than the original, but wonder if the issue existed (Ironically, the menu layout for this using this feature set are amongst the biggest differences between the original and MKII) then or not, and hope they'll deal with it, but have my doubts...

There seems to be an issue that should be fixable with a firmware update. I have written before but not heard back. In the "FUNCTION" menu if you are recording "Digital" (SPDIF) to the mix track (which I call tracks 7 and 8 for ease of reference) you need to set the DIN/MIX settings to "DIN MON" (from the default of "MIX MON") but the deck will not hold the setting of "DIN MON". As soon as you power off and then power it back on for the next use, it reverts back to "MIX MON". There is no way to hold the setting "DIN MON", making it very easy to forget to change it back. You may not notice too, because the MIX channels when set to "MIX MON" the default (which I call 7 and 8 for ease of reference) will be moving if any of channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 are in use.

Long story short: If there can be a fix (firmware upgrade) so that in the "FUNCTION" menu whatever setting is chosen in the "DIN/MIX" menu would stay chosen like all the other settings, this would be really good. I hope this is clear, Please respond back this time.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:49:42 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2015, 02:31:59 PM »
^ Interesting.  I've not recorded anything with my MK2 yet.  I have only been using it for playback thus far, and immediately noticed the menu and menu interface changes.

I have not checked the manual text sections dealing with this, but took a quick look at the recording block diagram for the original and MK2 versions and they are different.  The differences to correspond with DIN recording and monitoring, but I don't have time presently to dig too deeply..

These block diagrams are available in the back of the user manual for each machine.   Here's are screen shots of them, a bit cropped to be legible on screen, but the relevant bits are all there-
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2015, 02:36:47 PM »
Am I missing something?

"In the "FUNCTION" menu if you are recording "Digital" (SPDIF) to the mix track (which I call tracks 7 and 8 for ease of reference) you need to set the DIN/MIX settings to "DIN MON" (from the default of "MIX MON") but the deck will not hold the setting of "DIN MON"."

I don't have my machine in front of me at the moment, but if I'm understanding you correctly, you don't *need* to set to DIN MON when recording digital input to the stereo track. That setting only affects monitoring, not recording.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2015, 02:55:14 PM »
TASCAM FIRMWARE ISSUE: Has anyone else noticed this?

I have used this deck extensively since swapping my original DR680. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this, as I am sure it is a firmware issue and is not unique to my deck. I have written Tascam Customer Service 6 times now but have yet to hear back. (I did get an automated response one time saying they would contact me after reviewing my letter, but that was it). I pretty much cut and paste the same letter with small modifications each time in the hopes that one day, I'll get a response. I get around the issue by leaving a note stuck to my recorder so I do not forget the issue which would be easy to do. Here are parts of the letter explaining the issue. I don't know if the issue existed on my DR680, because I never went digi with it. I do like the menu layout on the DR680MKII better than the original, but wonder if the issue existed (Ironically, the menu layout for this using this feature set are amongst the biggest differences between the original and MKII) then or not, and hope they'll deal with it, but have my doubts...

There seems to be an issue that should be fixable with a firmware update. I have written before but not heard back. In the "FUNCTION" menu if you are recording "Digital" (SPDIF) to the mix track (which I call tracks 7 and 8 for ease of reference) you need to set the DIN/MIX settings to "DIN MON" (from the default of "MIX MON") but the deck will not hold the setting of "DIN MON". As soon as you power off and then power it back on for the next use, it reverts back to "MIX MON". There is no way to hold the setting "DIN MON", making it very easy to forget to change it back. You may not notice too, because the MIX channels when set to "MIX MON" the default (which I call 7 and 8 for ease of reference) will be moving if any of channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 are in use.

Long story short: If there can be a fix (firmware upgrade) so that in the "FUNCTION" menu whatever setting is chosen in the "DIN/MIX" menu would stay chosen like all the other settings, this would be really good. I hope this is clear, Please respond back this time.

Have DR680 MKI and this happens to me all the time. I know what you are saying dallman. I never updated my firmware and have to set it each time. Got into the habit of checking each time because you are right the default setting looks like it is ok due to it is the mix of channel 1-6. So this has bitten me more then once. Never knew there was a fix for this...

==============================================================

Gutbucket have you noticed any improvement in the pres from mk1 to mk2? Or anyone else?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:18:45 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2015, 03:16:12 PM »
Luckpac is correct, at least for the original 680.. not sure about the MK2 yet.

The last few posts were uploaded before I could post the following, which is basically confirmation of that:

To back up a bit..  at least with the original DR-680, you needn't be in DIN MON mode to record a digital input to the stereo channel.  You only need to be in DIN MON to monitor the digital input on the stereo channel meter and route it to the digital and/or analog outputs.  You do need to have ST REC set to DIN instead of MIX to record the digital input to the Stereo channel (7/8).

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2015, 03:18:37 PM »
Luckpac is correct, at least for the original 680.. not sure about the MK2 yet.

The last few posts were uploaded before I could post the following, which is basically confirmation of that:

To back up a bit..  at least with the original DR-680, you needn't be in DIN MON mode to record a digital input to the stereo channel.  You only need to be in DIN MON to monitor the digital input on the stereo channel meter and route it to the digital and/or analog outputs.  You do need to have ST REC set to DIN instead of MIX to record the digital input to the Stereo channel (7/8).

If the diagram you posted is accurate, the same is true of the MKII. The monitor setting only affects the monitor, not what gets recorded.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2015, 03:34:10 PM »
My original 680 reverts to MIX MON on power-off just like phil_er_up notes.  It will retain the ST REC DIN setting through a power cycle however, so it will always record the DIN input if one is present, the recorder is able to lock to it, and the stereo channel is record armed.  Set that way, the recorder will display DIN UNLOCK when entering rec/pause if there is no digital input present, but goes ahead and records the analog inputs without pause, using it's internal timeclock.  If a digital input shows up at any time while recording, the screen will display DIN LOCK and the recorder switches to using the external DIN as its timeclock.

Gutbucket have you noticed any improvement in the pres from mk1 to mk2? Or anyone else?

Haven't recorded anything with it yet.  I was content with the original preamps.  My main concern with the original was the well reported occasional over-heating related glitches. 

They added the ability to reload and properly rebuild multichannel takes allowing playback on the machine to the original with the latest firmware update, which was a previous concern of mine, so I didn't actually need to buy a MK2 to do that.  And neither the original or MK2 have added the other playback features I was hoping for- control over output levels by channel in direct out mode, EQ, polarity invert, and delay.

The menu change is nice and makes accessing and changing settings faster.  One press access to all menus, and the screen scrolls consecutively through all sub-menus, with no need to go back out the main menu to enter another.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:37:58 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Rally_AK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2015, 07:38:24 PM »
This doesn't have anything to do with the MIX MON issue, but I want to warn other owners of an issue I've had with my MKii.

For the most part the unit's been rock solid for the few months I've had it. It's easy to use and pre-amps sound great to my ears. However, 2 times the unit has completely locked up in the middle of the show and the only way to get it recording again was to shut down, unplug power, remove batteries and SD card, then do a hard reset by holding the power button down. After that the unit will boot back up and start running again. I looked into this here, and on GS, and the only thing I could come up with is that deleting or altering the .wav files on the SD card, on a mac or pc, then using the same card without reformatting it first could be the culprit. It's almost like the MKii gets confused when it tries to write over sectors on an SD that have been deleted using another devices.

The cards I use are 128GB PNY Elite Performance, I've run a full scans on each using 3rd party software and results come back error-free each time. I've probably recorded 150-200 hours on each card, running between 4-8 channels @ 24/48, but the only times I've run into an issue is when I've deleted files on my mac then used the same card without reformatting.

Forgive me if this is a known issue but just wanted to put it out there. If there's an ultra critical show you're recording (e.g. all of them) make sure you run a fresh format on the the SD card, preferably on the MKii, if you alter the files in any way on a mac, pc or other device.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:40:21 PM by Rally_AK »
Mics: MBHO 604 KA100LK/200/300 +PFA's | ADK-TL (GK-12d Caps)
Rec: HS-P82 | DR-680mkII | DR-70D | DR-100mkII
Pre: UA5 (w-mod)

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2015, 08:02:54 AM »
This doesn't have anything to do with the MIX MON issue, but I want to warn other owners of an issue I've had with my MKii.

For the most part the unit's been rock solid for the few months I've had it. It's easy to use and pre-amps sound great to my ears. However, 2 times the unit has completely locked up in the middle of the show and the only way to get it recording again was to shut down, unplug power, remove batteries and SD card, then do a hard reset by holding the power button down. After that the unit will boot back up and start running again. I looked into this here, and on GS, and the only thing I could come up with is that deleting or altering the .wav files on the SD card, on a mac or pc, then using the same card without reformatting it first could be the culprit. It's almost like the MKii gets confused when it tries to write over sectors on an SD that have been deleted using another devices.

The cards I use are 128GB PNY Elite Performance, I've run a full scans on each using 3rd party software and results come back error-free each time. I've probably recorded 150-200 hours on each card, running between 4-8 channels @ 24/48, but the only times I've run into an issue is when I've deleted files on my mac then used the same card without reformatting.

Forgive me if this is a known issue but just wanted to put it out there. If there's an ultra critical show you're recording (e.g. all of them) make sure you run a fresh format on the the SD card, preferably on the MKii, if you alter the files in any way on a mac, pc or other device.

Thanks Gutbucket for your review.

=============================================================================================

Did know it did not affect the recording and it was only for the monitor, though you can not reset it once you start recording. So that is why I always check it. I like to know what the recordings levels are.

=============================================================================================
To rally_ak,

This has happened to me a few times on the MK1. If I remember correctly it was from turning off the V3 and other preamps before I turned off the 680. The 680 would get confused (lockup) and the only way to correct the problem was taking the power cord out of the 680.
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com