Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Add some height to my Manfrotto 1004bac stand?  (Read 2413 times)

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Add some height to my Manfrotto 1004bac stand?
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:13:05 PM »
Hi There,

Does anyone have any quick suggestions for how to add some height to the Manfrotto 1004bac stand http://www.manfrotto.com/master-stand 
It goes 12' now but would like to gain approx 3'-6' if possible.

I've delved into various mic stand threads/topics, but haven't come up with a definitive solution and I'm running out of time. DSO tomorrow night at the Showbox   ;D

Thanks
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Add some height to my Manfrotto 1004bac stand?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 06:27:58 PM »
I use either a Manfrotto telescopic extension or a two-part DIY extension made from all-thread covered in heat shrink.  Either screws onto the top stud of the lightstand.  However my 'big' stand is only ~8' tall.   Do you really need to go 15' to 18' up?  Why so high?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 06:50:29 PM »
If you are overly concerned about yappers..  run them Busman hypers that are in your sig with your 12ft. stand.
If you're trying to eliminate the sightline..  I personally prefer to keep the mikes lower (6ft.)...  but I know others who prefer to go higher.
Or maybe you have a different reason..  but 17ft. is overkill IMO.
But yeah...  an extension pole is what you need.  Just make sure your footprint is big enough so "tiiiimber" doesn't occur.

~says the dude who runs super cards at 6-7ft.~
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 07:34:29 PM »
If you are overly concerned about yappers..  run them Busman hypers that are in your sig with your 12ft. stand.
If you're trying to eliminate the sightline..  I personally prefer to keep the mikes lower (6ft.)...  but I know others who prefer to go higher.
Or maybe you have a different reason..  but 17ft. is overkill IMO.
But yeah...  an extension pole is what you need.  Just make sure your footprint is big enough so "tiiiimber" doesn't occur.

~says the dude who runs super cards at 6-7ft.~

I think this is by far the best advice you will receive. Indoors, anything over 12ft should probably be considered running too high. The sound is very different that high up vs. head height and the mix is typically not as good. Looking at some pics of the Showbox, you'd be touching the ceiling at that height and it looks like the ceiling is a hard surface, so there will also be undesirable reflections.

I don't recommend running at head height unless you have because 10ft or so will usually give better overall results considering both crowd noise and how the mix sounds at increasing heights. Anything above that is usually outdoors or in a multi-floor venue with very tall ceilings (30-60ft).

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:38:22 PM »
Sorry, It's actually the Crystal ballroom in Portland that I wanted to get a little bit higher. I had twelve feet there and it looked like many people were up 15'. I ran the Hypers there a couple weeks ago for Umphrey's McGee, and they still had trouble cutting through the overall chatter in that place.
You're right, I do have plenty of height at the Showbox.
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 02:28:52 AM »
Update: Scored a spot in front of the board, inside their cage - no better spot in the house. I took your guys' advice and only went up about 9 feet or so - sounds great!
We'll see how we do at The Crystal Ballroom in Portland tomorrow night…
Looking forward taping with my new friend who I met on the forum here - rodeen  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.148 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com