Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Akg or Peluso

AKG
Peluso

Author Topic: (Poll) AKG vs Peluso Microphones  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
(Poll) AKG vs Peluso Microphones
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:36:01 PM »
Just thinking and listening to different tapes, the Peluso cemc-6 and p-84 really caught my ear. So much so that I came to wonder if they were completion for the akg 460/80 setups. What does everyone think about this? How does the cemc-6 compare to the p-84? The Peluso is around if not less than half the price of the akg and they are acoustically matched in stereo pairs...

Edit: added poll for fun
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:02:52 PM by Phil Zone »
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: (Poll) AKG vs Peluso Microphones
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 11:45:27 AM »
I don't know if I would call either competition for the AKG's. I think Peluso voices his CEMC's to be more like the Neumann's than AKG's so it's more of a flavor difference than two brands competing IMO. I think if you like what you hear it's worth picking up a pair, the prices are reasonable & having another flavor of microphone in the bag never hurts. I enjoy listening to my various sources for the contrast & education since I run two pairs at every show.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: (Poll) AKG vs Peluso Microphones
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 03:04:46 PM »
I ran the Peluso CEMC6 for a couple of years. I really liked them. They def sound more like Neumann than anything else. John Peluso used to repair and refurb vintage Neumann mics before starting Peluso Labs. He answers his own phone when you call the shop and it's really nice to be able to ask the man questions. I would have stuck with them longer but I went with an active solution since at the time I was clamping to balconies and other stands almost all the time. He said he was not interested in developing an extension cable/active capsule solution when I asked him about it on the phone.

If you get them get the subcard caps. They are the best of the bunch. Perfect combination of warmth and clarity.

Can't comment on the P84. Never used them I think they are his newest offering. Supposed to sound like an KM84 from what I understand. More spendy as well....~$1550 for a stereo pair with cards and omnis and accesories.
You can get a fully tricked out set of CEMC6 with all four cap pairs (card, hyper, omni and subcard) for a grand or so...way less if you buy used.

Peluso CEMC6 are one of the best deals on the markey and punch way above their price.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com