Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]  (Read 49802 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]
« on: November 13, 2015, 11:15:05 AM »
I figured I'd start the DR-701D thread. Let's proceed 8)

The Tascam DR-701D is just an updated DR-70D, but the DR-701D has Timecode Inputs and HDMI Inputs/Outputs.

It's available for sale at B+H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1189478-REG/tascam_dr_701d_linear_pcm_recorder.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:21:59 PM by F.O.Bean »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 12:13:42 PM »
Tascam seems to come out with a new shitty deck each year.. Why not work to improve what you have! duh.....
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 04:55:59 PM »
Tascam seems to come out with a new shitty deck each year.. Why not work to improve what you have! duh.....
It's kinda hard to change the specifications on a product once it's released... And Trashcan doesn't seem to work that hard anyhow.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 07:09:04 PM »
B&H emailed me yesterday to say that they're in stock.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 12:12:30 AM »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 05:44:59 PM »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 08:31:25 PM »
Tascam seems to come out with a new shitty deck each year month. Why not work to improve what you have! duh.....

FTFY.  :P
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:28:31 PM »
A review video from Curtis Judd here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl0DnLRkFDE

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 09:03:57 AM »
^ IMO, the reviewer failed to talk about the most important question.  He mentions that the 701d will sync with a GH4 via hdmi, but he doesn't say if it holds sync for an hour, two hours, or the entire time they are connected. 

About 13 minutes into the video review, he said he jam synched the 701d with a Zoom F8, disconnected them, and checked the sync after an hour. He appears to say the Tascam drifted 5 seconds ahead of the F8.  If they had stayed connected via the BNC input, would they have stayed in sync?  If a pro user has an external timecode generator, they would want the 701d to lock and stay in sync with it over whatever time they are shooting. 

I'm hoping that the 5 seconds of drift he mentioned  is some sort of testing error.  When I compared drift betwen my other Tascam recorders vs. my video cameras, I found drift of a few milliseconds over an hour, not 5 seconds. 

Since the key feature for the 701d is syncing audio to video, it seems to me that the key question is how well the 701d holds sync to video.  Best I can tell, the question of drift isn't 100% answered in the review. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:10:36 AM by 2manyrocks »

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 03:05:11 PM »
^ IMO, the reviewer failed to talk about the most important question.  He mentions that the 701d will sync with a GH4 via hdmi, but he doesn't say if it holds sync for an hour, two hours, or the entire time they are connected. 

About 13 minutes into the video review, he said he jam synched the 701d with a Zoom F8, disconnected them, and checked the sync after an hour. He appears to say the Tascam drifted 5 seconds ahead of the F8.  If they had stayed connected via the BNC input, would they have stayed in sync?  If a pro user has an external timecode generator, they would want the 701d to lock and stay in sync with it over whatever time they are shooting. 

I'm hoping that the 5 seconds of drift he mentioned  is some sort of testing error.  When I compared drift betwen my other Tascam recorders vs. my video cameras, I found drift of a few milliseconds over an hour, not 5 seconds. 

Since the key feature for the 701d is syncing audio to video, it seems to me that the key question is how well the 701d holds sync to video.  Best I can tell, the question of drift isn't 100% answered in the review.
Why don't you ask the question in the comments section of the video, he's good at answering questions.
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 03:39:47 PM »
I don't have a youtube account to post a comment to ask him. 

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 07:38:51 AM »

I asked the question for you, the longest take he did was 20 minutes, and found a drift of about 1 frame in lip sync over that period.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 09:23:17 AM »

I asked the question for you, the longest take he did was 20 minutes, and found a drift of about 1 frame in lip sync over that period.

My understanding of TC is pretty rudimentary, but that response seems pretty contradictory to what he stated in his video.  5 seconds of drift seems really horrible if in fact his test was valid.  Sure you could just leave your TC source (probably a camera) connected, but you shouldn't be locked into that scenario to keep your audio and video synced - you should be able to jam it and take your camera somewhere else.  I think the jury may still be out on TC until we see a more thorough test.

Another interesting bit mentioned around 17:30 is the menu structure: It now is organized as 18 pages of menus, in contrast to the sometimes confusing sub-menus of the 70D.  I'm not sure that's really an improvement.

So far I think the F8 looks like a much better value than this unit, even at $400 more.  I would not upgrade to one of these over my 70D, but then again my 70D is modified with opamps that look almost identical in specs to those used in the 701D so I'm thinking the sound quality between the modded 70D and stock 701D would be pretty similar.  The new 701D opamps are certainly an upgrade over those in the stock 70D though.  Of course, I realize there is more to a good preamp design than the opamps, but it's the one element Tascam made a point to mention in their marketing for the 701D.

For comparison, here are PDF data sheets of the opamps I'm referring to:

TI OPA1652 used in 701D
TI LME49720 used in the JWmod for 70D
TI NE5532 used in the stock 70D
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 03:10:46 PM »
I think he was describing the error in the inbuilt time code clock when not externally synced, this wouldn't effect the timing stability of the recorded file, just the accuracy of the embedded time code data in the file.

That would make it difficult for editing software to automatically align picture and sound.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 04:05:36 PM »

Thank you. 

With respect to the reviewer, my 60d drifts from my canon camcorder only a few miliseconds over 75 minutes of recording in my testing without any timecode.  I would have wanted to see a test of longer duration to tell us how well the 701d holds sync over an hour or two.   If the TC drifts, I don't see the benefit of spending $599.   

I'm glad Voltronic mentioned the 18 pages of menu.  That got my attention, too. 

Think I'll wait for longer term reviews of the F8 and the 701d to see what develops in normal use.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com