Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]  (Read 49803 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]
« on: November 13, 2015, 11:15:05 AM »
I figured I'd start the DR-701D thread. Let's proceed 8)

The Tascam DR-701D is just an updated DR-70D, but the DR-701D has Timecode Inputs and HDMI Inputs/Outputs.

It's available for sale at B+H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1189478-REG/tascam_dr_701d_linear_pcm_recorder.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:21:59 PM by F.O.Bean »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 12:13:42 PM »
Tascam seems to come out with a new shitty deck each year.. Why not work to improve what you have! duh.....
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 04:55:59 PM »
Tascam seems to come out with a new shitty deck each year.. Why not work to improve what you have! duh.....
It's kinda hard to change the specifications on a product once it's released... And Trashcan doesn't seem to work that hard anyhow.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 07:09:04 PM »
B&H emailed me yesterday to say that they're in stock.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 12:12:30 AM »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 05:44:59 PM »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 08:31:25 PM »
Tascam seems to come out with a new shitty deck each year month. Why not work to improve what you have! duh.....

FTFY.  :P
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:28:31 PM »
A review video from Curtis Judd here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl0DnLRkFDE

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 09:03:57 AM »
^ IMO, the reviewer failed to talk about the most important question.  He mentions that the 701d will sync with a GH4 via hdmi, but he doesn't say if it holds sync for an hour, two hours, or the entire time they are connected. 

About 13 minutes into the video review, he said he jam synched the 701d with a Zoom F8, disconnected them, and checked the sync after an hour. He appears to say the Tascam drifted 5 seconds ahead of the F8.  If they had stayed connected via the BNC input, would they have stayed in sync?  If a pro user has an external timecode generator, they would want the 701d to lock and stay in sync with it over whatever time they are shooting. 

I'm hoping that the 5 seconds of drift he mentioned  is some sort of testing error.  When I compared drift betwen my other Tascam recorders vs. my video cameras, I found drift of a few milliseconds over an hour, not 5 seconds. 

Since the key feature for the 701d is syncing audio to video, it seems to me that the key question is how well the 701d holds sync to video.  Best I can tell, the question of drift isn't 100% answered in the review. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:10:36 AM by 2manyrocks »

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 03:05:11 PM »
^ IMO, the reviewer failed to talk about the most important question.  He mentions that the 701d will sync with a GH4 via hdmi, but he doesn't say if it holds sync for an hour, two hours, or the entire time they are connected. 

About 13 minutes into the video review, he said he jam synched the 701d with a Zoom F8, disconnected them, and checked the sync after an hour. He appears to say the Tascam drifted 5 seconds ahead of the F8.  If they had stayed connected via the BNC input, would they have stayed in sync?  If a pro user has an external timecode generator, they would want the 701d to lock and stay in sync with it over whatever time they are shooting. 

I'm hoping that the 5 seconds of drift he mentioned  is some sort of testing error.  When I compared drift betwen my other Tascam recorders vs. my video cameras, I found drift of a few milliseconds over an hour, not 5 seconds. 

Since the key feature for the 701d is syncing audio to video, it seems to me that the key question is how well the 701d holds sync to video.  Best I can tell, the question of drift isn't 100% answered in the review.
Why don't you ask the question in the comments section of the video, he's good at answering questions.
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 03:39:47 PM »
I don't have a youtube account to post a comment to ask him. 

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 07:38:51 AM »

I asked the question for you, the longest take he did was 20 minutes, and found a drift of about 1 frame in lip sync over that period.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 09:23:17 AM »

I asked the question for you, the longest take he did was 20 minutes, and found a drift of about 1 frame in lip sync over that period.

My understanding of TC is pretty rudimentary, but that response seems pretty contradictory to what he stated in his video.  5 seconds of drift seems really horrible if in fact his test was valid.  Sure you could just leave your TC source (probably a camera) connected, but you shouldn't be locked into that scenario to keep your audio and video synced - you should be able to jam it and take your camera somewhere else.  I think the jury may still be out on TC until we see a more thorough test.

Another interesting bit mentioned around 17:30 is the menu structure: It now is organized as 18 pages of menus, in contrast to the sometimes confusing sub-menus of the 70D.  I'm not sure that's really an improvement.

So far I think the F8 looks like a much better value than this unit, even at $400 more.  I would not upgrade to one of these over my 70D, but then again my 70D is modified with opamps that look almost identical in specs to those used in the 701D so I'm thinking the sound quality between the modded 70D and stock 701D would be pretty similar.  The new 701D opamps are certainly an upgrade over those in the stock 70D though.  Of course, I realize there is more to a good preamp design than the opamps, but it's the one element Tascam made a point to mention in their marketing for the 701D.

For comparison, here are PDF data sheets of the opamps I'm referring to:

TI OPA1652 used in 701D
TI LME49720 used in the JWmod for 70D
TI NE5532 used in the stock 70D
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 03:10:46 PM »
I think he was describing the error in the inbuilt time code clock when not externally synced, this wouldn't effect the timing stability of the recorded file, just the accuracy of the embedded time code data in the file.

That would make it difficult for editing software to automatically align picture and sound.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 04:05:36 PM »

Thank you. 

With respect to the reviewer, my 60d drifts from my canon camcorder only a few miliseconds over 75 minutes of recording in my testing without any timecode.  I would have wanted to see a test of longer duration to tell us how well the 701d holds sync over an hour or two.   If the TC drifts, I don't see the benefit of spending $599.   

I'm glad Voltronic mentioned the 18 pages of menu.  That got my attention, too. 

Think I'll wait for longer term reviews of the F8 and the 701d to see what develops in normal use.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »
From the 701D Downloads page:
For customers using version 1.00/1.01/1.02
We have received reports below.

1. The incoming TC Frame rate is automatically detected, but 23.976fps is incorrectly identified as 24 fps.
    2. In a HDMI chain where both HDMI in and out ports are in use, HDMI in port can sometimes result in the DR-701D being unable to receive TC from the HDMI in signal.

These issues will be addressed in an upcoming firmware release.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 11:10:22 PM »
Another question, for which I haven't found an answer yet. Maybe I didn't understand the manual fully. On Page 34 Tascam mentions "Gang Operation Mode". Does that mean all four input level controls can be ganged,
e.g. for Soundfield recording purposes? A feature the DR-70D doesn't have unfortunately.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 06:20:43 AM »
Another question, for which I haven't found an answer yet. Maybe I didn't understand the manual fully. On Page 34 Tascam mentions "Gang Operation Mode". Does that mean all four input level controls can be ganged,
e.g. for Soundfield recording purposes? A feature the DR-70D doesn't have unfortunately.

Yes, the manual page you cite clearly describes how to do this, but it's not all 4 linked or nothing.  You can have two "master" knobs that control a group of channels you choose.

I feel like they could easily add this feature to the DR-70D, but won't as it's a selling point of the 701D.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 01:36:02 AM »

Yes, the manual page you cite clearly describes how to do this, but it's not all 4 linked or nothing.  You can have two "master" knobs that control a group of channels you choose.

I feel like they could easily add this feature to the DR-70D, but won't as it's a selling point of the 701D.

Thank you for the answer. I have re-read the Gang Operation Mode again and the text is under the mixer topic. Maybe it only the channel levels for the mixdown are meant? It is not clearly described like in the DR-680 MKII manual.
I checked the German (my native language) manual and it is described differently and seems to affect input levels of the preamps. Maybe my confusion is: are there two level control points? One for the recording itself, another for the mixdown?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 07:28:11 AM »

Thank you for the answer. I have re-read the Gang Operation Mode again and the text is under the mixer topic. Maybe it only the channel levels for the mixdown are meant? It is not clearly described like in the DR-680 MKII manual.
I checked the German (my native language) manual and it is described differently and seems to affect input levels of the preamps. Maybe my confusion is: are there two level control points? One for the recording itself, another for the mixdown?

The levels are for the preamps.  Whether or not those levels are set individually or as a linked group (with Gang operation) does not matter.  Those are the levels that will be recorded for both the separate mono/stereo tracks, and also for the main stereo mixdown if you have the "6CH" option selected.  I do not believe that this recorder allows you set a different channel balance for the stereo mixdown, unlike some other pro recorders.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 06:59:27 PM »
Has anyone tested how well the channels track each other when ganged?

What are the input trim gradations? 1 dB? 2 dB? Less?
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 12:33:14 AM »
Has anyone tested how well the channels track each other when ganged?

What are the input trim gradations? 1 dB? 2 dB? Less?

I will report back next week - I have ordered a DR-701D which should arrive soon. One of the first things will be to check how it works with my SoundField SP200.

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 11:17:02 PM »
I received my DR-701D and checked some functions.
Ganging the input levels works fine and straight forward. There are 100 steps (not dB) plus a mute setting, all with one knob. I like that a lot. The DR-701D is really tiny.
I bought this little recorder for a compact Ambisonics system which I have still to test in the field. As an owner of a SD 744T I was curious if the two recorders work in sync and I made a quick test sending Time Code from the 744T to the DR-701D and it worked right from the start. The recorders were recording something for a few minutes and I placed it in Nuendo 7 with the "Original Time" function and the audio aligned up perfectly.
Here are two photos and a screen shot. The screenshot shows Meldaproduction MAutoAlign and I let it measure the timing difference. The 38 cm (or 49 samples @44.1kHz SR) is around the distance of the two microphones I just placed around the recorders for this basic test. The second photo shows the Time Code sync cables with the necessary adapters that work very well in my setup. This way I can use the DR-701D as an add on for analog microphones with my 744T, which I use mostly with digital microphones and Neumann DMI interfaces.

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 07:19:43 PM »
There seems not much interest, in comparison, here for the DR-701D. Does anybody knows if Tascam reps are reading or lurking here? Where to make suggestions for the firmware?
I would like to see the possibility to record EXT 1/2 to the tracks 5+6 instead of the mix. As a plain field recorder it would be much more useful to have six channels filled with mic inputs.

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 07:52:41 PM »
… and I would like to see the .w64 Wave format implemented. The 2GB chunks are a bit short, time wise, with 6 Ch, 25 bits, 96 kHz. Even a 4GB file size would be a significant improvement, which is allowed by FAT32.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 10:52:49 PM »
^^, ^ At one time, there was a Tascam rep (Tom Duffy) lurking here, but no longer.  I'll leave it at that to avoid bringing up old arguments.  You can still find him on JWSound and occasionally on Gearslutz. 

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for firmware suggestions.  I have maintained a firmware update request list for the DR-70D for quite some time, and sent it to Tascam several times but never received a reply.

You may be the only member here at TS who has purchased a 701D, or at the very least the first who has posted about it.  For those of us who bought the DR-70D, the 701D may not be enough of an upgrade to justify the much higher price.  My personal view is that the Zoom F8 represents a much better value, and you'll find several people here who did in fact upgrade from the DR-70D to the F8.  So I'm sorry to say that you may find very few people to share experiences with regarding the 701D at this point.

- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 12:53:48 AM »
Thank you for the answer, voltronic. I considered the F8 but I need a compact, lightweight recorder which has the option to gang all inputs together. Most work I do anyway with digital microphones (also several channels at once) and there is no need for eight analog channels of preamps otherwise. I never had a DR-70D because it lacks the ganging feature. As I mentioned, it is easy to sync the DR-701D to the 744T. The four inputs of the tiny DR-701D are good enough for 2xStereo, DoubleORTF, IRT Cross and Ambisonics.

Offline KOG

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 12:06:20 AM »
Looking at the DR-701D as an inexpensive recorder to save iso tracks from a SD 552 mixer direct outputs. Can anyone confirm that the Tascam will accept Line Out (+4 dB) using the XLR connectors?

Thanks,

Kevin
Peluso Cemc-6 | DPA 2011c | DPA 4017B | DPA 4018C | Sanken CS-1e | Sanken CS-3e  | SD 552 | Oade Super mod PMD661 mkII | Tascam DR-70D
DigiGal AES/SPDIF cable | GAKables

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 01:26:12 PM »
Thank you for the answer, voltronic. I considered the F8 but I need a compact, lightweight recorder which has the option to gang all inputs together. Most work I do anyway with digital microphones (also several channels at once) and there is no need for eight analog channels of preamps otherwise. I never had a DR-70D because it lacks the ganging feature. As I mentioned, it is easy to sync the DR-701D to the 744T. The four inputs of the tiny DR-701D are good enough for 2xStereo, DoubleORTF, IRT Cross and Ambisonics.

What's your impression of the sound quality relative to the 744T?

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2016, 02:56:55 PM »

What's your impression of the sound quality relative to the 744T?

I would have to make a real comparison first, same mics, same levels - I won't do that, I'm not a tester. The preamps of the 744T are really good and noise is very low and I got the impression I hear a bit more noise with the SPS200 connected to the 701D - before I used the SPS with the 744T and an additional Grace Design Lunatec V3. I will continue using this combo but the 701D comes in handy for a lightweight package with the SPS200 - it all fits in a small case (except stand of course). And when the 744T is used with my digital mics the 701D runs alongside with the SPS200. Generally spoken - you can get professional results from the 701D preamps and conversion - sound quality is fine to my ears (of course that doesn't mean much as nobody nows what I'm hearing - but my demands are quite high). Recording is rock solid so far on a SanDisk 64 GB card with six channels @ 24/96.  Here is a video frame crop from recording an old 300+ years old loom I did recently. Two Solution D KM184Ds -> 744T + SPS200 -> 701D, TC synced - 744T -> 701D

Offline Sentry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2016, 03:28:26 PM »
Can you tell us more about the accuacy of the meters vs the 70d or the 60d mkii (because the numbers showed on them seam wrong to me)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 03:29:59 PM by Lsadjan »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 01:11:19 AM »
Very cool pic Dream :)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 11:15:38 AM »
Maybe they will offer some discounted promotional pricing to get units selling like they did with the 70d. 

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 09:43:14 PM »

Don't say anything good about my pics … I could feel a motivation to post more. Like this one - showing the SPS200 within the loom. I used the Rycote gag ball for dust protection.

(pic is copyrighted)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 10:38:22 PM »
Dont hold back on the pics! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Sentry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 01:13:25 AM »
Can you tell us more about the accuacy of the meters vs the 70d or the 60d mkii (because the numbers showed on them seam wrong to me)

Still waiting your answer...

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2016, 01:32:39 AM »

Still waiting your answer...

I don't know if you mean me … I never had a 70d or 60d MKII in my hands … The numbers I see on the 701D are surely not in dB scales and frankly I don't care what they really show - these are just numbers for comparison of the channel input level settings. I want to have the inputs for the four channels of my SPS200 ganged and matched and then I record quite conservative with levels because there are no limiters before the A/D. The levels can be set at an offset and ganged from there.The 701D works very well for me as straightforward stereo or four channel recorder. I really like this little machine - it should have some software improvements: four channel recording without the mixdown going to Ch 5+6 and being always embedded - I delete these channels afterwards to get a four channel interleaved Wave. The ability to route the little bus powered stereo input to channel 5+6 instead of the mixdown would also be nice.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:05:24 AM by dream »

Offline Sentry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2016, 01:08:13 AM »
On the 60d or 70d the input gain meter is a little misleading: getting the levels peaking around where the little triangle hashmark is, results in fairly low recordings. It's the same thing on the 701d ?

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2016, 01:53:11 AM »
On the 60d or 70d the input gain meter is a little misleading: getting the levels peaking around where the little triangle hashmark is, results in fairly low recordings. It's the same thing on the 701d ?

I think so … but I like conservative metering - if it is not a very good metering like with the 744T. With 24 bit there is not much to worry about. If you have enough experience with the device and know the behaviour, just turn up the gain a bit …  ;)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2016, 02:31:02 AM »

Don't say anything good about my pics … I could feel a motivation to post more. Like this one - showing the SPS200 within the loom. I used the Rycote gag ball for dust protection.

(pic is copyrighted)

Ahh, I love those BBG's! If my Movo screens don't cut it this summer, I'm getting [4] BBG/Windjammers for all my caps :)

Offline D.Dastardly

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2017, 03:19:50 AM »
Well, I switched from 70D to 701D and I love my decision. Hoever I paid half the retail price for it.

I like the casing, which is a Al/Mg casting, and parts can be replaced easily. Screen has a nice feature, never turning the backlight off totally. It operates in two modes so you can actually see what the thing is recording even during the night, so you dont have to press anything and get pops and clicks into the recording.

Easier to match levels now as faders levels are displayed on the screen. Or assign them to a group and tweak one only.

Can record infrasonic to about 3-4Hz.  Flat @ 10Hz.

The menu is a long list, a bit dumb tho`.

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2018, 07:38:45 PM »
newest firmware, bold are standouts to me.  I haven't tested yet.

· Support was added for recording with Ambisonic mics.

Recording in Ambisonic A and B formats is possible.
 When B format is selected, FuMa or AmbiX can be selected.
 Three mic orientations can be set according to the mic placement.
 TASCAM XRI is supported, and Ambisonic mic settings can be saved in the file metadata when BWF is selected.
B format audio can be converted to stereo and monitored.
 Audio from individual A and B format channels can be monitored directly.
The menu structure changes to a dedicated one when using the Ambisonic function.

· The number of characters for the user word setting for file names has been increased from 6 to 9.
· A function has been added that allows you to press and hold the MENU button to go back one page when the Menu Screen is open.

Looking at the monitor menu in Ambisonic mode you get:
stereo mix
FLU
FRD
BLD
BRU
W
X
Y
Z
camera in
FLU+FRD
BLD+BRU
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:05:03 PM by EmRR »
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline J-Way

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2018, 06:31:12 PM »
Hi everyone!

I have a TASCAM DR-701D on which the screen went blank half way through a recording. It would still record if I press the button, turn on and off, and I believe I even manage to do a firmware update. Even tough, the screen turns on, displays first letters, which then start to go wrong to finally leave the screen empty.
Apparently the fault is with the display driver and the control port is still functioning properly so the PCB needs changing (this is what I've been told).I don't know anything about electronics but I was wondering if this would be straight forward repair for me to do if I bought the part or if I buy the part and take it to my local repair shop they would be able to do it. Many thanks.

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2018, 09:04:19 PM »
Just discovered that in Dual Recording mode the secondary file is polarity reversed from the primary file, and it is not documented as such in the manual.  I dropped Tascam a note....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:08:42 AM by EmRR »
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2018, 06:03:42 AM »
Maybe they will offer some discounted promotional pricing to get units selling like they did with the 70d.

They really have to with the competition from Zoom F4 and MixPre3!
But sadly Tascam seem to be MIA with sharply competition options in $400 and up market place.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2018, 07:40:16 PM »
I bought one of these recently.  IMO, its a major upgrade over the 70D, which I bought, ran, and sold in a span of 48 hours. 

That said, I did a Comp last night between the 701D and the MixPre-6.  Absolutely stunned by the results. 

Besides its excellent sound quality, here are my likes when comparing the two:

1) I can run it with a small pocket-sized Anker battery.  In this case, the Powercore 13000.  Last night's record time was 4 hours 58 minutes, P48 on, and still had half-a-battery left.  WOW! 
2) No polywav file nonsense
3) I can turn off the Mix so it won't record the Mix files. 
4) One, big, scroll down menu.  Makes setup quicker.
5)  It has a "Hold" button

The 701D's sound quality is every bit as good as the MixPre-6's. 

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 11:37:20 PM by spyder9 »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2018, 11:07:02 AM »
I bought one of these recently.  IMO, its a major upgrade over the 70D, which I bought, ran, and sold in a span of 48 hours. 

That said, I did a Comp last night between the 701D and the MixPre-6.  Absolutely stunned by the results. 

1) I can run it with a small pocket-sized Anker battery.  In this case, the Powercore 13000.  Last night's record time was 4 hours 58 minutes, P48 on, and still had half-a-battery left.  WOW! 

I could not agree more. It is a fantastic deck and sounds great. While it resembles the DR70D, it is a different machine with totally different firmware.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »

They really have to with the competition from Zoom F4 and MixPre3!
But sadly Tascam seem to be MIA with sharply competition options in $400 and up market place.

The parent company, Gibson, filed bankruptcy in May and submitted their plan of reorganization in early October.  My speculation is Tascam has been in a holding pattern not of their own choice. 

Offline flask

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2018, 05:10:24 PM »
Is it still the case that channels 5 & 6 are only used for the mix? As mentioned a while back it would be nice if EXT 1/2 could be mapped to 5/6 instead of being used solely for mix.
Mics: AKG C480B CK61/CK63 | AT943C/O
Pre/Pwr: UA-5 wmod | SPSB-1 | Baby nbox
Recorders: TCD-D7 | NJB3 | DR-680mkii | PCM-A10

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »

totally forgot about this device till I saw a top today.
I trust Dans option so this is good to read
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2018, 02:30:34 PM »
I am leaning toward getting the 701d as my first open rig (a step up from my DR40).

Quick question.
What does this mean?  Does this mean two 701ds can be linked to make 6 to 8 track recording?

From the feature sheet:
Cascade function using HDMI connections allows multiple DR-701D transport and monitoring operations
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2018, 03:46:32 PM »
I am leaning toward getting the 701d as my first open rig (a step up from my DR40).

Quick question.
What does this mean?  Does this mean two 701ds can be linked to make 6 to 8 track recording?

From the feature sheet:
Cascade function using HDMI connections allows multiple DR-701D transport and monitoring operations

I take it as yes; 12, or 16, etc.

By connecting multiple units using HDMI, slave DR-701D units can be made to follow a master unit to start and stop recording simultaneously. Since audio can also be output through the HDMI connection, monitoring selections can be made using slave units without reconnecting headphones.

What isn't clear is whether it will generate and send timecode from one to another, or just take it through from an external camera.  The start/stop sync feature is always mentioned in reference to camera control. 

What's also not clear is how tight the sync is.  Is it TC or is it Word Clock, or is it Word Clock recovered from TC, like the Zoom F8 does it?  The F8 chases 'ok', not great, there's still an asynchronous aspect to it that would be a problem with OMT  arrays.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:23:16 AM by EmRR »

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2019, 10:49:15 AM »
Thanks guys for the info on the 701D.  I _really_ wanted a MP6, but just couldn't justify the jump from US$300 to US$750-800 (local used prices) between a used 701D and MP6.  Seeing that the amps on the 701D are cleaner than the 70D (which I just sold), I'm happy with this landing point.

I've got a 10000 mAh battery so I'm sure it'll do more than what I need it to do for a show.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline kingdong

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2019, 11:28:06 PM »
I had an unexpected experience tonight with my 701D and was hoping to see if anyone else has seen something similar.  I was going to record a house show with 701D recording a pair of Line audio cm3's. Recording the mics to primary and backup track so 2 channels of phantom with 4 channels of 24/44.1 data being recorded.  While setting up, I realized that I left my usb battery on the charger at home so I ran to the convenience store and bought a 4-pack of Duracell coppertops figuring this would be plenty to get me through the show. Well, I quickly noticed that the battery meter was dropping quickly (yes, the unit was set for Alkaline) and I only got about 30-35 minutes out of the batteries and they were quite warm when I removed them from the unit.  I did also notice that the backlight stayed on full brightness even though menu was set to 5 sec. 
I regularly use this unit with a usb battery and have had no issues, nor noticed it depleting batteries overly quickly.
Any ideas?

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2019, 11:45:04 AM »
30 minutes seems a little "short" to me.  Wondering if maybe you were using bogus Duracell's which pop up from time to time.  Check the attachment of the info for Alkaline in the manual below and I might expect about 65-75 based on the double record on a good day.  I just picked up a pair of CM3's so I'll see if I can replicate this once I have them in hand (in the coming weeks).

Curious if anybody else can offer some feedback.

Will update when I've tried this without a USB battery pack (I just got my 701D last month and picked up a 20000mAh Anker Powercore Elite -- figure this will keep me going with the CM3's and the CK63's together for a festival.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2019, 12:07:25 PM »
30 minutes seems a little "short" to me.  Wondering if maybe you were using bogus Duracell's which pop up from time to time.  Check the attachment of the info for Alkaline in the manual below and I might expect about 65-75 based on the double record on a good day.  I just picked up a pair of CM3's so I'll see if I can replicate this once I have them in hand (in the coming weeks).

Curious if anybody else can offer some feedback.

Will update when I've tried this without a USB battery pack (I just got my 701D last month and picked up a 20000mAh Anker Powercore Elite -- figure this will keep me going with the CM3's and the CK63's together for a festival.

I have a particular low pro easy to record venue where I use this deck in a brief case and I have a few times forgotten to push the power button on my external battery. I have run for 2 hours or so and still had juice left using Kirkland or Duracell batteries.

Regarding your comments about the light remaining on and hot batteries though, Different but in the same vein maybe...I did once have a situation with the deck where near the end of the first set, I looked at the screen and my "time" showed 0:00. The recording light was on and of course meters were moving (as they always do on this deck even if "record" is not engaged) so I let the set finish. During the break, I made attempts to fix the problem by hitting "stop" and "record" to get the time to work but it would not move. Finally I powered down and back up, and all was fine. Once home I found much to my delight that every time I hit record it did record even though the time was not registering and I have no idea why time was not working. I have used the deck a dozen ore more times since and have never had that happen again.

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2019, 03:29:56 PM »
I picked up a DR-701D recently but have yet to give it any use.

My question here is: should I pay serious attention to the "supported media" list from the 701-D website? I've heard from one 701D user that they had no issues with a card not on the list.

Here's the list I found-
https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-701d/spec

And I'm mainly asking because I found out the hard way on my 70-D a few years ago when I did not use "supported media" from that list, so I'm just a little hesitant.

Thanks for any thoughts, advice and experience related to that question!

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2019, 04:02:00 PM »
I had a SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I in mine, never had a problem.  I don't think that was on the list. 

Offline melontracks

• Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2019, 09:26:28 PM »
Say I'm using this to make a matrix recording of a live show using a pair of audience mics and a feed from the sbd. Why would I also want to save a stereo mix of that on channels 5 and 6 on the fly?

Maybe it's just that I'm no good at setup, but I can't image I'd guess the levels well enough on site for the mix to get it right, and I enjoy tinkering with it in post. Seems a waste of SD card space and probably battery power. Also, I'll second the lament that a third stereo source can't be recorded on channels 5 and 6, but oh well.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2019, 01:19:18 PM »
I ran Adrian's old 701 for the first time last night, out of necessity and without boning up on the manual. I had the mix disabled; however, the deck was still showing levels for 5-6? Is this normal?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2019, 01:28:34 PM »
I ran Adrian's old 701 for the first time last night, out of necessity and without boning up on the manual. I had the mix disabled; however, the deck was still showing levels for 5-6? Is this normal?
I've only used my 701D twice now but that's how it worked for me, I could see the levels for channels 5-6 even though I had them turned off.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2019, 03:44:18 PM »
I've only used my 701D twice now but that's how it worked for me, I could see the levels for channels 5-6 even though I had them turned off.

Good (I guess lol). I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

What's really weird is that those channels had higher levels than either 1-2 or 3-4. The biggest thing I was worried about was that I had the monitor set to "mix" sending it out to video camera and I didn't know if it was going to be distorted or not if it was coming from "that" mix.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2019, 06:12:25 PM »

Good (I guess lol). I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

What's really weird is that those channels had higher levels than either 1-2 or 3-4. The biggest thing I was worried about was that I had the monitor set to "mix" sending it out to video camera and I didn't know if it was going to be distorted or not if it was coming from "that" mix.
The last time I ran the 701-D (for Tab Benoit) I recorded the channel 5-6 mix and gave the SD card to Skaggs after the show.
He liked how it sounded and tracked and upped it as is. Sounds pretty good.
https://archive.org/details/tabbenoit2019-06-12.flac16schoepsmk41-soundboardmatrix

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2019, 08:37:03 AM »

I picked up Dan's 701d to replace my quirky Marantz PMD706. Any advice for a new user?

The menu looks really straight forward and I did a few trial runs at home to get a feel for it. Any pitfalls or easy to miss settings?

The angle of the screen seems a little steep for running in a bag and seems to be designed more for using it flat on a table top.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline morst

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2019, 12:06:52 PM »
The angle of the screen seems a little steep for running in a bag and seems to be designed more for using it flat on a table top.
I run the 70D but the screen angle issue is the same. Sometimes I run the deck relatively "upside down" when I would not be able to see the levels with it right side up. For instance, when it's propped on its battery cover, next to a soundboard, and I don't want to have to put my head right over the mixing board to see my meters.

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »

I've run this thing a couple times now using the internal preamps and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. They sound nice and balanced with good low end extension.
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2021, 01:48:24 PM »

After a couple of years of rock solid performance my 701d has started to add significant pops and static to recordings. It started doing it recently and it's getting worse. Same mics, preamp, SD cards and external batteries used with different recorder no issues.

Anyone else had these kinds of issues?

My entire weekend of recordings from my first festival back out may have to be scrapped if major declick plugin processing doesn't pan out...

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2021, 02:05:01 PM »

After a couple of years of rock solid performance my 701d has started to add significant pops and static to recordings. It started doing it recently and it's getting worse. Same mics, preamp, SD cards and external batteries used with different recorder no issues.

Anyone else had these kinds of issues?

My entire weekend of recordings from my first festival back out may have to be scrapped if major declick plugin processing doesn't pan out...
Wow, that's scary.
I just finished up archiving for a three day festival using the same 701D setup. I've not noticed anything weird yet but haven't listened to or started processing very much of it at this point.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2021, 07:01:37 PM »
Roger, that really blows after you dealt with the marantz 706. Sorry man.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2021, 12:19:28 PM »

I may have sounded the death bell too soon. I started working on the shows from that weekend in reverse - last show first. It looks like the battery I was using to power both my SD442 and the 701d was just about spent and the discharge curve dipped really low towards the end so I'm thinking that's the issue.

I have another show coming up in a few weeks with other tapers likely to be there so I'm not giving up on it yet. This thing is small, has a great feature set and sounds good. I don't want to give up on a four track recorder that's about the size of a thick paperback book and the same weight. My first 4 track was an Edirol R4. Huge compared to the 701d.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2021, 01:30:13 PM »

I may have sounded the death bell too soon. I started working on the shows from that weekend in reverse - last show first. It looks like the battery I was using to power both my SD442 and the 701d was just about spent and the discharge curve dipped really low towards the end so I'm thinking that's the issue.

I have another show coming up in a few weeks with other tapers likely to be there so I'm not giving up on it yet. This thing is small, has a great feature set and sounds good. I don't want to give up on a four track recorder that's about the size of a thick paperback book and the same weight. My first 4 track was an Edirol R4. Huge compared to the 701d.
Here's hoping that was your issue!  8)

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2021, 01:37:00 PM »

I sold my 701d on Reverb and the buyer asked if I knew anywhere he could get the top camera mount plate for it. Mine didn't come with one so I thought I'd ask here since most tapers don't use that and it might be sitting in a drawer unused.

Anyone have one they'd be willing to send to a dude in Ohio?

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2021, 02:39:54 PM »

I sold my 701d on Reverb and the buyer asked if I knew anywhere he could get the top camera mount plate for it. Mine didn't come with one so I thought I'd ask here since most tapers don't use that and it might be sitting in a drawer unused.

I might, will look later today.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2021, 08:02:31 PM »

I might, will look later today.
All I have is the little rectangular plate that screws on with a single screw, it's less than an inch wide. I don't think that's it but if it is let me know.

Offline Joop

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2021, 12:40:38 PM »
The bracket is the same as the one on the DR60D > this is in the service manual of the DR701D > "BRACKET,TOP DR60D G". The complete bracket contain 10 pieces, I didn't see a order number for a complete bracket.   

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2022, 11:18:43 AM »
Anyone ever use the "EXT IN 1/2" on this device?  Work well with a pre?
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2022, 11:46:38 AM »
Anyone ever use the "EXT IN 1/2" on this device?  Work well with a pre?

I used it quite a bit both with a preamp and once or twice with PIP for mini mics. Works fine just as expected.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2022, 05:58:30 PM »
Have any of you regular DR-701D users noticed how high the prices have gotten for SD cards from the Tascam "approved" list? Crazy.

Unlike my first experience using the DR-70D where I did not use an "approved" SD card and had real issues, I find the 701D works just fine (so far) with pretty much any SanDisk card I've used in it.

Offline morst

« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2022, 07:38:11 PM »
Have any of you regular DR-701D users noticed how high the prices have gotten for SD cards from the Tascam "approved" list? Crazy.

Unlike my first experience using the DR-70D where I did not use an "approved" SD card and had real issues, I find the 701D works just fine (so far) with pretty much any SanDisk card I've used in it.
If they don't test current cards, then the old cards just get harder and harder to find...
Glad I got a working 128 for a deal.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2022, 07:53:25 PM »
I have used all types of cards in my 701D and never had any issues. While it resembles the 70d in form factor the operating system is totally different and it did not share the issue that the early 70D firmware had.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2023, 07:47:51 PM »
Had a first time weirdness with the DR-701D yesterday. It shut down on me twice when recording outdoors. I guess it's possible that could occur when it get's overheated?
I had it covered with a towel on the side of a stage, sun was on it some of the time. It was about 80 degrees outside and about 10-20% relative humidity.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced that.

Offline morst

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2023, 07:10:05 AM »
Had a first time weirdness with the DR-701D yesterday. It shut down on me twice when recording outdoors. I guess it's possible that could occur when it get's overheated?
I had it covered with a towel on the side of a stage, sun was on it some of the time. It was about 80 degrees outside and about 10-20% relative humidity.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced that.
Yes, but it was a Sound Devices MixPre6 with a Sound Devices branded SD card in the 100+ degree sun that locked up on me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.245 seconds with 107 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com