Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]  (Read 49807 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »
From the 701D Downloads page:
For customers using version 1.00/1.01/1.02
We have received reports below.

1. The incoming TC Frame rate is automatically detected, but 23.976fps is incorrectly identified as 24 fps.
    2. In a HDMI chain where both HDMI in and out ports are in use, HDMI in port can sometimes result in the DR-701D being unable to receive TC from the HDMI in signal.

These issues will be addressed in an upcoming firmware release.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dream

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 11:10:22 PM »
Another question, for which I haven't found an answer yet. Maybe I didn't understand the manual fully. On Page 34 Tascam mentions "Gang Operation Mode". Does that mean all four input level controls can be ganged,
e.g. for Soundfield recording purposes? A feature the DR-70D doesn't have unfortunately.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 06:20:43 AM »
Another question, for which I haven't found an answer yet. Maybe I didn't understand the manual fully. On Page 34 Tascam mentions "Gang Operation Mode". Does that mean all four input level controls can be ganged,
e.g. for Soundfield recording purposes? A feature the DR-70D doesn't have unfortunately.

Yes, the manual page you cite clearly describes how to do this, but it's not all 4 linked or nothing.  You can have two "master" knobs that control a group of channels you choose.

I feel like they could easily add this feature to the DR-70D, but won't as it's a selling point of the 701D.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 01:36:02 AM »

Yes, the manual page you cite clearly describes how to do this, but it's not all 4 linked or nothing.  You can have two "master" knobs that control a group of channels you choose.

I feel like they could easily add this feature to the DR-70D, but won't as it's a selling point of the 701D.

Thank you for the answer. I have re-read the Gang Operation Mode again and the text is under the mixer topic. Maybe it only the channel levels for the mixdown are meant? It is not clearly described like in the DR-680 MKII manual.
I checked the German (my native language) manual and it is described differently and seems to affect input levels of the preamps. Maybe my confusion is: are there two level control points? One for the recording itself, another for the mixdown?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 07:28:11 AM »

Thank you for the answer. I have re-read the Gang Operation Mode again and the text is under the mixer topic. Maybe it only the channel levels for the mixdown are meant? It is not clearly described like in the DR-680 MKII manual.
I checked the German (my native language) manual and it is described differently and seems to affect input levels of the preamps. Maybe my confusion is: are there two level control points? One for the recording itself, another for the mixdown?

The levels are for the preamps.  Whether or not those levels are set individually or as a linked group (with Gang operation) does not matter.  Those are the levels that will be recorded for both the separate mono/stereo tracks, and also for the main stereo mixdown if you have the "6CH" option selected.  I do not believe that this recorder allows you set a different channel balance for the stereo mixdown, unlike some other pro recorders.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 06:59:27 PM »
Has anyone tested how well the channels track each other when ganged?

What are the input trim gradations? 1 dB? 2 dB? Less?
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 12:33:14 AM »
Has anyone tested how well the channels track each other when ganged?

What are the input trim gradations? 1 dB? 2 dB? Less?

I will report back next week - I have ordered a DR-701D which should arrive soon. One of the first things will be to check how it works with my SoundField SP200.

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 11:17:02 PM »
I received my DR-701D and checked some functions.
Ganging the input levels works fine and straight forward. There are 100 steps (not dB) plus a mute setting, all with one knob. I like that a lot. The DR-701D is really tiny.
I bought this little recorder for a compact Ambisonics system which I have still to test in the field. As an owner of a SD 744T I was curious if the two recorders work in sync and I made a quick test sending Time Code from the 744T to the DR-701D and it worked right from the start. The recorders were recording something for a few minutes and I placed it in Nuendo 7 with the "Original Time" function and the audio aligned up perfectly.
Here are two photos and a screen shot. The screenshot shows Meldaproduction MAutoAlign and I let it measure the timing difference. The 38 cm (or 49 samples @44.1kHz SR) is around the distance of the two microphones I just placed around the recorders for this basic test. The second photo shows the Time Code sync cables with the necessary adapters that work very well in my setup. This way I can use the DR-701D as an add on for analog microphones with my 744T, which I use mostly with digital microphones and Neumann DMI interfaces.

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 07:19:43 PM »
There seems not much interest, in comparison, here for the DR-701D. Does anybody knows if Tascam reps are reading or lurking here? Where to make suggestions for the firmware?
I would like to see the possibility to record EXT 1/2 to the tracks 5+6 instead of the mix. As a plain field recorder it would be much more useful to have six channels filled with mic inputs.

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 07:52:41 PM »
… and I would like to see the .w64 Wave format implemented. The 2GB chunks are a bit short, time wise, with 6 Ch, 25 bits, 96 kHz. Even a 4GB file size would be a significant improvement, which is allowed by FAT32.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 10:52:49 PM »
^^, ^ At one time, there was a Tascam rep (Tom Duffy) lurking here, but no longer.  I'll leave it at that to avoid bringing up old arguments.  You can still find him on JWSound and occasionally on Gearslutz. 

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for firmware suggestions.  I have maintained a firmware update request list for the DR-70D for quite some time, and sent it to Tascam several times but never received a reply.

You may be the only member here at TS who has purchased a 701D, or at the very least the first who has posted about it.  For those of us who bought the DR-70D, the 701D may not be enough of an upgrade to justify the much higher price.  My personal view is that the Zoom F8 represents a much better value, and you'll find several people here who did in fact upgrade from the DR-70D to the F8.  So I'm sorry to say that you may find very few people to share experiences with regarding the 701D at this point.

- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 12:53:48 AM »
Thank you for the answer, voltronic. I considered the F8 but I need a compact, lightweight recorder which has the option to gang all inputs together. Most work I do anyway with digital microphones (also several channels at once) and there is no need for eight analog channels of preamps otherwise. I never had a DR-70D because it lacks the ganging feature. As I mentioned, it is easy to sync the DR-701D to the 744T. The four inputs of the tiny DR-701D are good enough for 2xStereo, DoubleORTF, IRT Cross and Ambisonics.

Offline KOG

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 12:06:20 AM »
Looking at the DR-701D as an inexpensive recorder to save iso tracks from a SD 552 mixer direct outputs. Can anyone confirm that the Tascam will accept Line Out (+4 dB) using the XLR connectors?

Thanks,

Kevin
Peluso Cemc-6 | DPA 2011c | DPA 4017B | DPA 4018C | Sanken CS-1e | Sanken CS-3e  | SD 552 | Oade Super mod PMD661 mkII | Tascam DR-70D
DigiGal AES/SPDIF cable | GAKables

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 01:26:12 PM »
Thank you for the answer, voltronic. I considered the F8 but I need a compact, lightweight recorder which has the option to gang all inputs together. Most work I do anyway with digital microphones (also several channels at once) and there is no need for eight analog channels of preamps otherwise. I never had a DR-70D because it lacks the ganging feature. As I mentioned, it is easy to sync the DR-701D to the 744T. The four inputs of the tiny DR-701D are good enough for 2xStereo, DoubleORTF, IRT Cross and Ambisonics.

What's your impression of the sound quality relative to the 744T?

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2016, 02:56:55 PM »

What's your impression of the sound quality relative to the 744T?

I would have to make a real comparison first, same mics, same levels - I won't do that, I'm not a tester. The preamps of the 744T are really good and noise is very low and I got the impression I hear a bit more noise with the SPS200 connected to the 701D - before I used the SPS with the 744T and an additional Grace Design Lunatec V3. I will continue using this combo but the 701D comes in handy for a lightweight package with the SPS200 - it all fits in a small case (except stand of course). And when the 744T is used with my digital mics the 701D runs alongside with the SPS200. Generally spoken - you can get professional results from the 701D preamps and conversion - sound quality is fine to my ears (of course that doesn't mean much as nobody nows what I'm hearing - but my demands are quite high). Recording is rock solid so far on a SanDisk 64 GB card with six channels @ 24/96.  Here is a video frame crop from recording an old 300+ years old loom I did recently. Two Solution D KM184Ds -> 744T + SPS200 -> 701D, TC synced - 744T -> 701D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com