Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]  (Read 49807 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2018, 07:40:16 PM »
I bought one of these recently.  IMO, its a major upgrade over the 70D, which I bought, ran, and sold in a span of 48 hours. 

That said, I did a Comp last night between the 701D and the MixPre-6.  Absolutely stunned by the results. 

Besides its excellent sound quality, here are my likes when comparing the two:

1) I can run it with a small pocket-sized Anker battery.  In this case, the Powercore 13000.  Last night's record time was 4 hours 58 minutes, P48 on, and still had half-a-battery left.  WOW! 
2) No polywav file nonsense
3) I can turn off the Mix so it won't record the Mix files. 
4) One, big, scroll down menu.  Makes setup quicker.
5)  It has a "Hold" button

The 701D's sound quality is every bit as good as the MixPre-6's. 

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 11:37:20 PM by spyder9 »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2018, 11:07:02 AM »
I bought one of these recently.  IMO, its a major upgrade over the 70D, which I bought, ran, and sold in a span of 48 hours. 

That said, I did a Comp last night between the 701D and the MixPre-6.  Absolutely stunned by the results. 

1) I can run it with a small pocket-sized Anker battery.  In this case, the Powercore 13000.  Last night's record time was 4 hours 58 minutes, P48 on, and still had half-a-battery left.  WOW! 

I could not agree more. It is a fantastic deck and sounds great. While it resembles the DR70D, it is a different machine with totally different firmware.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »
Maybe they will offer some discounted promotional pricing to get units selling like they did with the 70d.

They really have to with the competition from Zoom F4 and MixPre3!
But sadly Tascam seem to be MIA with sharply competition options in $400 and up market place.

The parent company, Gibson, filed bankruptcy in May and submitted their plan of reorganization in early October.  My speculation is Tascam has been in a holding pattern not of their own choice. 

Offline flask

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2018, 05:10:24 PM »
Is it still the case that channels 5 & 6 are only used for the mix? As mentioned a while back it would be nice if EXT 1/2 could be mapped to 5/6 instead of being used solely for mix.
Mics: AKG C480B CK61/CK63 | AT943C/O
Pre/Pwr: UA-5 wmod | SPSB-1 | Baby nbox
Recorders: TCD-D7 | NJB3 | DR-680mkii | PCM-A10

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »

totally forgot about this device till I saw a top today.
I trust Dans option so this is good to read
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2018, 02:30:34 PM »
I am leaning toward getting the 701d as my first open rig (a step up from my DR40).

Quick question.
What does this mean?  Does this mean two 701ds can be linked to make 6 to 8 track recording?

From the feature sheet:
Cascade function using HDMI connections allows multiple DR-701D transport and monitoring operations
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2018, 03:46:32 PM »
I am leaning toward getting the 701d as my first open rig (a step up from my DR40).

Quick question.
What does this mean?  Does this mean two 701ds can be linked to make 6 to 8 track recording?

From the feature sheet:
Cascade function using HDMI connections allows multiple DR-701D transport and monitoring operations

I take it as yes; 12, or 16, etc.

By connecting multiple units using HDMI, slave DR-701D units can be made to follow a master unit to start and stop recording simultaneously. Since audio can also be output through the HDMI connection, monitoring selections can be made using slave units without reconnecting headphones.

What isn't clear is whether it will generate and send timecode from one to another, or just take it through from an external camera.  The start/stop sync feature is always mentioned in reference to camera control. 

What's also not clear is how tight the sync is.  Is it TC or is it Word Clock, or is it Word Clock recovered from TC, like the Zoom F8 does it?  The F8 chases 'ok', not great, there's still an asynchronous aspect to it that would be a problem with OMT  arrays.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:23:16 AM by EmRR »
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2019, 10:49:15 AM »
Thanks guys for the info on the 701D.  I _really_ wanted a MP6, but just couldn't justify the jump from US$300 to US$750-800 (local used prices) between a used 701D and MP6.  Seeing that the amps on the 701D are cleaner than the 70D (which I just sold), I'm happy with this landing point.

I've got a 10000 mAh battery so I'm sure it'll do more than what I need it to do for a show.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline kingdong

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2019, 11:28:06 PM »
I had an unexpected experience tonight with my 701D and was hoping to see if anyone else has seen something similar.  I was going to record a house show with 701D recording a pair of Line audio cm3's. Recording the mics to primary and backup track so 2 channels of phantom with 4 channels of 24/44.1 data being recorded.  While setting up, I realized that I left my usb battery on the charger at home so I ran to the convenience store and bought a 4-pack of Duracell coppertops figuring this would be plenty to get me through the show. Well, I quickly noticed that the battery meter was dropping quickly (yes, the unit was set for Alkaline) and I only got about 30-35 minutes out of the batteries and they were quite warm when I removed them from the unit.  I did also notice that the backlight stayed on full brightness even though menu was set to 5 sec. 
I regularly use this unit with a usb battery and have had no issues, nor noticed it depleting batteries overly quickly.
Any ideas?

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2019, 11:45:04 AM »
30 minutes seems a little "short" to me.  Wondering if maybe you were using bogus Duracell's which pop up from time to time.  Check the attachment of the info for Alkaline in the manual below and I might expect about 65-75 based on the double record on a good day.  I just picked up a pair of CM3's so I'll see if I can replicate this once I have them in hand (in the coming weeks).

Curious if anybody else can offer some feedback.

Will update when I've tried this without a USB battery pack (I just got my 701D last month and picked up a 20000mAh Anker Powercore Elite -- figure this will keep me going with the CM3's and the CK63's together for a festival.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2019, 12:07:25 PM »
30 minutes seems a little "short" to me.  Wondering if maybe you were using bogus Duracell's which pop up from time to time.  Check the attachment of the info for Alkaline in the manual below and I might expect about 65-75 based on the double record on a good day.  I just picked up a pair of CM3's so I'll see if I can replicate this once I have them in hand (in the coming weeks).

Curious if anybody else can offer some feedback.

Will update when I've tried this without a USB battery pack (I just got my 701D last month and picked up a 20000mAh Anker Powercore Elite -- figure this will keep me going with the CM3's and the CK63's together for a festival.

I have a particular low pro easy to record venue where I use this deck in a brief case and I have a few times forgotten to push the power button on my external battery. I have run for 2 hours or so and still had juice left using Kirkland or Duracell batteries.

Regarding your comments about the light remaining on and hot batteries though, Different but in the same vein maybe...I did once have a situation with the deck where near the end of the first set, I looked at the screen and my "time" showed 0:00. The recording light was on and of course meters were moving (as they always do on this deck even if "record" is not engaged) so I let the set finish. During the break, I made attempts to fix the problem by hitting "stop" and "record" to get the time to work but it would not move. Finally I powered down and back up, and all was fine. Once home I found much to my delight that every time I hit record it did record even though the time was not registering and I have no idea why time was not working. I have used the deck a dozen ore more times since and have never had that happen again.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2019, 03:29:56 PM »
I picked up a DR-701D recently but have yet to give it any use.

My question here is: should I pay serious attention to the "supported media" list from the 701-D website? I've heard from one 701D user that they had no issues with a card not on the list.

Here's the list I found-
https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-701d/spec

And I'm mainly asking because I found out the hard way on my 70-D a few years ago when I did not use "supported media" from that list, so I'm just a little hesitant.

Thanks for any thoughts, advice and experience related to that question!

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2019, 04:02:00 PM »
I had a SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I in mine, never had a problem.  I don't think that was on the list. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline melontracks

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2019, 09:26:28 PM »
Say I'm using this to make a matrix recording of a live show using a pair of audience mics and a feed from the sbd. Why would I also want to save a stereo mix of that on channels 5 and 6 on the fly?

Maybe it's just that I'm no good at setup, but I can't image I'd guess the levels well enough on site for the mix to get it right, and I enjoy tinkering with it in post. Seems a waste of SD card space and probably battery power. Also, I'll second the lament that a third stereo source can't be recorded on channels 5 and 6, but oh well.

Online lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2019, 01:19:18 PM »
I ran Adrian's old 701 for the first time last night, out of necessity and without boning up on the manual. I had the mix disabled; however, the deck was still showing levels for 5-6? Is this normal?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com