Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder  (Read 114494 times)

Offline fransb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2016, 07:06:54 AM »
I am curious about what is included in the box. Also a remote control? Carrying case?

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2016, 10:42:10 AM »
I got mine from B&H. It just came with recorder, instruction manual and s/pdif conversion cable. Sweetwater says theirs
comes with that plus usb cable, soft case and windscreen. Amazon says  all that plus 2GB card and RC-10 remote.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2016, 10:45:35 AM »
Hello -   I just got my new recorder and am very impressed by the functionality. I never had a desire for a dr100 series recorder until this one.
 The owners manual is close to worthless though. The menu system is pretty intuitive but there is one setting I don't understand. On the i/o page
there is a selection marked a/d filter. I understand that it is the analog/digital filter. The four selections for that are FIR1, FIR2, SHORT DELAY1 and
SHORT DELAY2. What does this mean and which selection should I use? Thanks for your help.

I got this from a Google translation of the Japanese reference manual, not yet released in English:

To select the characteristics of the digital filter. (A / D filter)
You can select the characteristics of the digital filter at the time of A / D converter
It is. This allows you to change the tone of the post-conversion.
1. Select. A / D filter. Item of the input and output setting. Screen,. To display the A / D filter. Screen. (→ .10 page "Basic operations Using the Menu")
2. Select the characteristics of the A / D filter.
SHORT DELAY1
(initial value)
Hints
FIR digital filter
In proven filter in sound quality than conventional, tone that combines the sharpness of sound-out the sound of the dense, rich sound it is characterized.
SHORT.DELAY type digital filter
There is no pre-echo to the impulse response, the rise and decay of the sound is a natural, sound close to the original sound is characterized.

Choices
Content
Use the FIR type digital filter of the slow roll-off characteristic to sharply cut the signal out of the audio band.

FIR1
Use the FIR type digital filter of the slow roll-off characteristic that gradually cut the signal out of the audio band.

FIR2
Use the SHORT.DELAY type digital filter of sharp roll-off characteristics that sharply cut the signal out of the audio band.
Use the SHORT.DELAY type digital filter of the slow roll-off characteristic that gradually cut the signal out of the audio band.
SHORT DELAY2

24 TASCAM DR-100MKIII

English manual is up.

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/912/dr-100mk3_om_va.pdf

Maybe related to the Dual ADC "Velvet Sound" options?

The manual never does reference the options you noted, though...those almost seem like something they forgot to translate or rename...or maybe shouldn't be there at all.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2016, 10:54:50 AM »
English manual is up.

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/912/dr-100mk3_om_va.pdf

Maybe related to the Dual ADC "Velvet Sound" options?

The manual never does reference the options you noted, though...those almost seem like something they forgot to translate or rename...or maybe shouldn't be there at all.

That's the Owner's Manual and has been up for a couple weeks. It's basically a Quick Start Guide.

The Japanese manual I referred to is the Reference Manual that has more detailed information and is still not available in English.

https://tascam.jp/downloads/products/tascam/dr-100mkiii/J_DR-100MK3_RM_vA.pdf
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:58:50 AM by dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline mepaca

• Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2016, 09:30:19 AM »
Just took mine out on it's maiden voyage last night. It is super clean and quiet and really easy to use. It seems like they really thought this
one out. For a one hour and thirty minute show using 48v phantom the internal battery wasn't even a quarter down. The mic pres are very
hot.  Make sure to enact the mic pad switch for anything louder than pure acoustic. I love the m/s monitoring. The metering is good.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:48:24 AM by mepaca »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2016, 11:54:20 AM »
Just took mine out on it's maiden voyage last night. It is super clean and quiet and really easy to use. It seems like they really thought this
one out. For a one hour and thirty minute show using 48v phantom the internal battery wasn't even a quarter down. The mic pres are very
hot.  Make sure to enact the mic pad switch for anything louder than pure acoustic. I love the m/s monitoring. The metering is good.

Great to hear. Thanks for that.

How good are the internal mics?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2016, 03:11:37 PM »

that is amazing. Would you be able to share a sample of the recording?

Offline mepaca

• Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2016, 08:25:48 PM »

I would but I promised the artist and manager that I wouldn't.

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2016, 10:51:30 PM »

I would but I promised the artist and manager that I wouldn't.

Understandable. I just wanted to hear how clean the preamps are. I'm amazed though about the internal battery part, that is quite impressive.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2016, 10:06:35 AM »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2016, 11:13:51 AM »

I'd be interested in more of your opinion of the Dr100mkiii.  You were obviously willing to pay $500?, I guess, for it even though it's a two track recorder.  There are several other choices of recorders for $500 and under.  So ---what were your thoughts in buying the DR100mkiii instead of one of the other products?  If you have owned some other recorders that we commonly talk about (m10, 70d, etc), how does the mkiii compare in your opinion?

Offline mepaca

• Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2016, 05:04:35 PM »

I'd be interested in more of your opinion of the Dr100mkiii.  You were obviously willing to pay $500?, I guess, for it even though it's a two track recorder.  There are several other choices of recorders for $500 and under.  So ---what were your thoughts in buying the DR100mkiii instead of one of the other products?  If you have owned some other recorders that we commonly talk about (m10, 70d, etc), how does the mkiii compare in your opinion?

Hello-
   I paid $399 delivered from B&H. I own or have owned Edirol R1, R09, R09hr, R-44, Sony m10, d50, Olympus ls-10 and ls-7, Tascam dr-680 mk II and Zoom F8. For what you get I think $399 is quite fair.
Many of these decks did not have mic preamps so I have used Lunatec v2, Sound Devices mp-2, mixpre and usbpre2. For an all in one that costs a fraction of some of my other portable rigs, I think bang
for the buck is extremely high. I haven't done a pure acoustic recording in a good hall yet but I have high hopes for when I do. We are lucky to have many flavors of good these days at reasonable prices.
From someone who used to sometimes lug around a Nak 600 with 8 D cell batteries this machine is a modern miracle.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:06:41 PM by mepaca »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2016, 10:59:33 AM »

Hello-
   I paid $399 delivered from B&H. I own or have owned Edirol R1, R09, R09hr, R-44, Sony m10, d50, Olympus ls-10 and ls-7, Tascam dr-680 mk II and Zoom F8. For what you get I think $399 is quite fair.
Many of these decks did not have mic preamps so I have used Lunatec v2, Sound Devices mp-2, mixpre and usbpre2. For an all in one that costs a fraction of some of my other portable rigs, I think bang
for the buck is extremely high. I haven't done a pure acoustic recording in a good hall yet but I have high hopes for when I do. We are lucky to have many flavors of good these days at reasonable prices.
From someone who used to sometimes lug around a Nak 600 with 8 D cell batteries this machine is a modern miracle.

Did you get a chance to run the unit in a quiet environment to get an idea of how good the premaps compare to the others you have used (Lunatec v2, Sound Devices mp-2, mixpre and usbpre2)?

Offline mepaca

• Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2016, 05:03:36 PM »

Hello-

Did you get a chance to run the unit in a quiet environment to get an idea of how good the premaps compare to the others you have used (Lunatec v2, Sound Devices mp-2, mixpre and usbpre2)?

Just messing around at home. This thing is quiet. I'm thinking of selling my mixpre but I got almost nothing for my flawless condition mp-2 ($250) on ebay. I had already sold my v2.
I am thinking of keeping the usbpre2 so that I can go digi coax out to the tascam and digi optical out to the d50 and make 2 identical recordings. I will probably sell my r-44 because I have the f8.
Here's a link to an album I recorded with the usbpre2 and mixpre going into the r-44. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/steveabshireandsteveherb I think the F8 on it's own sounds just as good.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2016, 05:15:48 PM »
I will probably sell my r-44 because I have the f8.
Here's a link to an album I recorded with the usbpre2 and mixpre going into the r-44. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/steveabshireandsteveherb I think the F8 on it's own sounds just as good.

So how does the TASCAM DR-100MKIII measure up to the F8?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com