Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder  (Read 114483 times)

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
Re: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2016, 05:24:54 PM »
I will probably sell my r-44 because I have the f8.
Here's a link to an album I recorded with the usbpre2 and mixpre going into the r-44. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/steveabshireandsteveherb I think the F8 on it's own sounds just as good.

So how does the TASCAM DR-100MKIII measure up to the F8?
Sorry for rambling before. While I haven't done any direct comparisons I would venture to say that it would compare quite favorably.
The only recording I have done with the Tascam is African guitarist Vieux Farka Toure with Schoeps in an m/s pattern. It was mostly
electric but not incredibly loud. It came out whistle clean. I love the m/s monitoring.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2016, 11:52:57 AM »
I took mine out for the first time last night for Sara Watkins at the Grey Eagle in Asheville and ran DPA 4023 directly into it. On the same stand, I also ran DPA 4028 > V3 > 744. I'll post some samples and some more thoughts later, but it was easy to run and monitor/tweak levels.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:55:08 AM by gewwang »

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2016, 01:56:31 PM »
I took mine out for the first time last night for Sara Watkins at the Grey Eagle in Asheville and ran DPA 4023 directly into it. On the same stand, I also ran DPA 4028 > V3 > 744. I'll post some samples and some more thoughts later, but it was easy to run and monitor/tweak levels.

Thanks in advance. I'm trying to figure out whether to pull the plug on this or not, and I really want to know that the preamps are terrific enough to warrant the cost ($559.00 up here in the frozen expensive North.)
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2016, 03:18:35 PM »

Thanks in advance. I'm trying to figure out whether to pull the plug on this or not, and I really want to know that the preamps are terrific enough to warrant the cost ($559.00 up here in the frozen expensive North.)

I got mine from ebay, free shipping and saved alot of money too. It ended up being $490 CDN total and I told the seller to put the value at $25 so that I wouldn't have to pay duties lol

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2016, 03:33:11 PM »

I got mine from ebay, free shipping and saved alot of money too. It ended up being $490 CDN total and I told the seller to put the value at $25 so that I wouldn't have to pay duties lol

Was it a USA dealer? I don't know any of them that will do free shipping to Canada.

More importantly, what's your verdict on the preamps (and the int mics also, if you used them)?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2016, 05:12:29 PM »
Yes it was from USA, I haven't tested out the preamps yet as I have lots of other gear that needs to be tested out but i'll do a test soon. It was one of those rare deals on ebay that you see for cheap. I got a Roland r-05 the other day on ebay, brand new in box for under $170 CDN

Was it a USA dealer? I don't know any of them that will do free shipping to Canada.

More importantly, what's your verdict on the preamps (and the int mics also, if you used them)?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2016, 08:11:36 PM »
Not sure how I missed it before, but there's a picture of the opamp used in the DR-100mkIII right on the product page:

As suspected, these are the same TI OPA1652 opamps used in the DR-701D.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2016, 09:27:36 AM »
Not sure how I missed it before, but there's a picture of the opamp used in the DR-100mkIII right on the product page:

Good spotting. Do these TI OPA1652 opamps bring the DR-100mkIII up to the quality of your modded DR70D?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2016, 06:37:58 PM »

Good spotting. Do these TI OPA1652 opamps bring the DR-100mkIII up to the quality of your modded DR70D?

That would be impossible to say without a controlled A/B comparison, and the opamps are only one part of the equation, of course - the mod also added some Wima poly caps. 

The LME49720 opamps used in the Jim Williams mod for the 70D have specs a bit better than the OPA1652 in a few places, particularly in slew rate.  On the other hand, the AKM AK4558 digital conversion chips in the 100mkIII certainly look superior in most aspects to the the Cirrus Logic CS42L52-CNZ used in the 70D. 

I'd be more interested to hear if the 100mkIII can allow higher gain at lower noise levels than the other Tascam recorders or those from other brands in this price bracket.  Jim told me that the noise in the 70D that is noticeable in the HIGH+ range is mainly due to the input transistors.  I'd have to imagine that part of the preamp circuit for the 701D and the 100mkIII got a redesign as well.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2016, 08:51:11 PM »
I haven't tested out the preamps yet

Any chance you could just put the DR-100mkIII into record at high gain and stick it under a pillow for a minute?

Offline gewwang

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2016, 01:14:28 AM »

Here are the samples from my first run:

https://soundcloud.com/user-499246530

both sources were run on the same stand right in front of the soundboard

for Mikaela Davis 4023>dr100mkIII, the levels were set to L:34.5 R:33.5
for Sara Watkins 4023>dr100mkIII, the levels were set to L:24 R:24

for Mikaela Davis 4028>v3>744t, the v3 levels were set to 40, 744t at normal gain/10 oclock
for Sara Watkins 4028>v3>744t, the v3 levels were set to 30, 744t at normal gain/1 oclock

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2016, 08:15:05 AM »

for Mikaela Davis 4028>v3>744t, the v3 levels were set to 40, 744t at normal gain/10 oclock
for Sara Watkins 4028>v3>744t, the v3 levels were set to 30, 744t at normal gain/1 oclock

Thanks so much for these tracks.

I spent more time listening to the Sara Watkins tracks. At first I was amazed at how close the quality of recordings were. For example both captured the bass drum really well.

Then I began to favour the smoothness from the 744T; the track sounded as if it had already been mixed and the rough edges taken off.

Yet after continuing to switch between takes, I now appreciate the "live-ness" of the DR100mkIII track. There seems to be more energy in the highs, but mids and lows are still taken care of.

Considering what it was going up against, I thought the DR100mkIII did a great job and this puts me one step closer to buying one. But I still want to hear the new Zoom F4.

Thanks again, gewwang, for putting these up.

EDIT: Was the DR100mkIII recording at 24/96?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:20:48 AM by dogmusic »

Offline gewwang

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2016, 08:24:26 AM »

Thanks so much for these tracks.

I spent more time listening to the Sara Watkins tracks. At first I was amazed at how close the quality of recordings were. For example both captured the bass drum really well.

Then I began to favour the smoothness from the 744T; the track sounded as if it had already been mixed and the rough edges taken off.

Yet after continuing to switch between takes, I now appreciate the "live-ness" of the DR100mkIII track. There seems to be more energy in the highs, but mids and lows are still taken care of.

Considering what it was going up against, I thought the DR100mkIII did a great job and this puts me one step closer to buying one. But I still want to hear the new Zoom F4.

Thanks again, gewwang, for putting these up.

no problem. thanks for the feedback.

keep in mind, the 4023s are cards and 4028s are subcards. if i had two sets of cards, it would've helped the comparison. in this setting - small room - i think the advantage goes to the subcards over the cards.

next open show, i might run the 4023s thru my sonosax which has 2 sets of analog outs that can input the 744 and the dr100 at the same time.

i am definitely satisfied with the dr100 preamp and as an all in one for the price point. i am going to start stealthing with this over the 744 based on this first run and the much lighter/smaller box size.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:26:44 AM by gewwang »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2016, 11:02:22 AM »
i am definitely satisfied with the dr100 preamp and as an all in one for the price point. i am going to start stealthing with this over the 744 based on this first run and the much lighter/smaller box size.

I agree that if one wants to go out the door with just two mics and a recorder, it looks like the DR100mkIII will give great results.

Was the DR100mkIII recording at 24/96?

Offline SoundManJohn365

• Taperssection Newbie
    • soundcloud
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2016, 02:28:58 PM »
Hi All, thanks for this informative topic. I finally joined Tapers Section after being a reader for many years 8)

I took the plunge for a DR-100 MKIII after being the owner of an original DR-100 for 6 years. I just wanted to chime in my own impressions. As others have said, it is obvious Tascam put all they had into this one. Its a significant improvement over the first two incarnations and is probably the best portable recorder in its class in terms of features and sound quality.

For those who are interested I wrote up a brief (non-technical) review which includes some recording samples: http://maaheli.ee/main/tascam-dr-100mkiii-quick-review/
sound/field recordist

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com