Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder  (Read 114486 times)

Offline refrain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2016, 05:06:39 PM »

For those who are interested I wrote up a brief (non-technical) review which includes some recording samples: http://maaheli.ee/main/tascam-dr-100mkiii-quick-review/

Hi John :-)

Nice to see you here, thanks for your review, my H4n just died, and I'm looking for a replacement (point and capture sound, in my daily bag) I was thinking about the sony PCM100 for their internal mics, and 1/8" input for plugin power mics and piezos, same thing as you, but the price.... I have a Dr70D for XY - ORTF setup with externals mounted on tripod. Very much interested on your test with the internals (cardiod), are you going to publish here the results?

Best,
Carlos Santos
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), DIY Primo 172 48v matched stereo, Sony ECM 55B (Lav), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rode Blimp II, sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7

Offline SoundManJohn365

• Taperssection Newbie
    • soundcloud
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2016, 09:27:29 AM »
Nice to see you here too Carlos!

For you and others here are some quick ambient recordings with the internal mics on the mkIII. The tracks are labeled 'uni' and 'omni'. All were recorded at maximum +44 gain with 'Dual ADC' on and the 'FIR2' A/D filter. No adjustments afterward.
https://mega.nz/#!2tt1lDpZ!wXhz6LTNL4YuOi_8aSPjeMl9UuyL0-p9EX5KQYx2cnw

On the outside tracks the kids are playing by a school about 100m away and the guy chopping wood is about 50m away. On the inside tracks the ticking clocks are 2m from the recorder.

Personally I'd say the 'uni' mics are quite good and usable for general purposes. The 'omni' mics are there but you'd be much better off using a pair of external electrets like the Primo EM172s.
sound/field recordist

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2016, 10:39:23 AM »
Ran DPA 4028 > DR-100mkIII up front for Anderson Rabin Wakeman at a performing arts center on Sunday and should have some samples up later today. Very impressed with this as a stealth machine. The hold button holds all buttons and the levels so you can take it out of or put back into cargo shorts pocket or hoody pocket without worries. The footprint is a bit long with the DPA XLRs connected thru the bottom of the deck but I like that I can stealth this in a hoody without using a fanny pack like I've done for so long with the SD 722/44. So far I've been running with the A/D setting set to FIR1 only because I don't know what any of the settings are and that's the one that it comes set to out of the box.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2016, 12:21:46 PM »
I was surprised at how close the 744/dr100 recordings of Sara Watkins came out.    What's your take on the mkiii metering in comparison to the 744's fantastic (IMO) metering? 

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2016, 01:55:44 PM »
For those who are interested I wrote up a brief (non-technical) review which includes some recording samples: http://maaheli.ee/main/tascam-dr-100mkiii-quick-review/

You write in the review: "It may not be a Sound Devices series 7" - I use the 702; I don't care about price, just size. In what way is it inferior to the 702?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2016, 03:00:52 PM »
Ran DPA 4028 > DR-100mkIII up front for Anderson Rabin Wakeman at a performing arts center on Sunday and should have some samples up later today. Very impressed with this as a stealth machine. The hold button holds all buttons and the levels so you can take it out of or put back into cargo shorts pocket or hoody pocket without worries. The footprint is a bit long with the DPA XLRs connected thru the bottom of the deck but I like that I can stealth this in a hoody without using a fanny pack like I've done for so long with the SD 722/44. So far I've been running with the A/D setting set to FIR1 only because I don't know what any of the settings are and that's the one that it comes set to out of the box.

Are you recording at 24/96?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline gewwang

« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2016, 03:07:58 PM »
I was surprised at how close the 744/dr100 recordings of Sara Watkins came out.    What's your take on the mkiii metering in comparison to the 744's fantastic (IMO) metering?

stock photo:

there are 2 settings in the menu for peak level display. i set the peak level at -0.1dB (other options are -0.2db, -1.0db, -2.0db) and the hold time set at 1 sec (other options are 'off' and 'hold'). so the L and R meters always flash the peak level for a second, then update. the only time I changed levels was when i saw an over. if you see an 'over', it quickly updates after 1 second. since i was stealthing, i just decreased levels once when the music started and i saw an 'over', after that i ignored balancing channels and peaks were jumping around but never exceeding -0.5dB on either channel. First song was 'Perpetual Change' which is loud at the beginning so I felt pretty confident that I wouldn't need to adjust again the rest of the set.

the levels aren't the bright green, yellow and red LEDs like on the SD boxes, but that's actually a positive when trying to be discreet.

Are you recording at 24/96?

Yes

Each 2GB file is about 1hr 2 min.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2016, 09:44:18 PM »
Here are some tracks from my 2nd outing:

Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman (ARW)
Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham, NC
Oct. 9, 2016

Section 2, Row L ~11th row stack

DPA 4028 > DR-100mkIII

I engaged the mic pad setting - the levels ended up at +20.5dB

https://soundcloud.com/user-499246530/2016-10-09-sample-track-1
https://soundcloud.com/user-499246530/2016-10-09-sample-track-2

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2016, 10:42:35 PM »
http://transom.org/2016/tascam-dr-100mkii-2/
It's about the MKIII as you could not guess from the name of the Transom page  ???

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2016, 12:34:13 PM »
Has anyone with this recorder done the firmware update for the DR100mkIII?

http://tascam.com/product/DR-100mkIII/downloads/

The Transom review reveals battery and headphone problems.

I was wondering if the firmware might increase the low battery life of the two AA's (something I believe they did with another TASCAM recorder by new firmware).

The low headphone output as described in the Transom review is especially troubling for outdoor recording but I assume that it cannot be fixed with firmware even if it is digitally controlled.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2016, 03:40:14 PM »
What I find most surprising about the Transom review is the mkiii apparently has a fixed internal battery.  I would hate to spend $399 on the mkiii and then have the internal battery fail in 2-3 years.  Can you even open up the case to replace it?  Is a replacement internal battery available?  Is it a proprietary battery only available from Tascam?

Offline Kamen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2016, 08:29:37 PM »
To follow up with Jeff Townes' review of the Mk3, I'm rather shocked at the monitoring issue he reports (single mic tracking to one track = mono monitor output to one channel only). It's surprising given the monitoring flexibility on the Dr60, 70, 701, etc. And we haven't even started with M/S monitoring (although according to the manual, the relevant options are available).

I thing I'll stick to my D100 (and save up for a USBPre2).

(Btw, this was my first post on TS - Hi, everybody.)

Offline fransb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2016, 07:04:09 AM »
The internal battery can easily be removed according to the Owners Manual. See also the attached screenshot from the manual.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2016, 03:13:05 PM »
I ran line in from a sonosax the past two nights at Phish in Charleston and have some sample tracks coming. The first night, I taped for about 3.5 hours and the lithium battery ran down to 1/4 of the batt level indicator. In all 4 of my outings so far, the recorder hasn't even gotten to the AA batteries.

https://soundcloud.com/user-499246530/ph2016-10-14dpa4028d1t04
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:20:01 PM by gewwang »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2016, 05:57:05 PM »
There was an update about the headphone output in the Transom.org review:

"UPDATE! A helpful reader pointed out that there’s a new headphone level control, in addition to the thumbwheel on the side of the recorder. It’s semi-hidden in a menu: I/O SETTINGS>>OUTPUT ATT. On most recorders, output attenuation will simply reduce the output level of the mini-jack line-out, which is helpful when feeding audio to a video camera. And this menu will let you control that level, but there’s ALSO a setting for headphone output level. The overall headphone volume can be reduced by 10 or 16 dB, or there’s a setting called “EAR PROTECTION.”  The recorder’s default settings have “ear protection” selected, which drops the output level significantly.  Set the headphone output attenuation to zero, and you’ll get plenty of sound in the headphones."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com