Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3  (Read 95673 times)

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
Re: Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3
« Reply #225 on: February 08, 2021, 11:27:13 PM »
I have a dream! My wishes for future F Series products:

New beefier processing power for the new F4n/F12 OS platform (the F8n/F6 gets dropped, for instead an awesome F4n/F12). This new OS gives features like graphical EQ (for post-fade), half a dozen busses, routable headphones (mix & tones), and Noise Reduction.

Update the F4 to an F4n, that has 4x XLR + 2x TA3F + 3.5mm to be a 10 track recorder. Also has 2x XLR + 2x TA3M outputs (for four outputs in total). Let all inputs and outputs be selectable in the menus as pro line, consumer line, or mic level. Update the screen to a be a super bright color screen. Have an expansion port on the top so that a "Zoom CL4" could be added to it (like the Sound Devices CL6, this adds extra controls for when you want to mix/control more than just the core four channels of the F4n, but rather all eight). Improved headphone amp.

For 95% of people this F4n could replace (or rather, be an upgrade!) to their F8n.

Then for the F12, have everything that is good about the F8n & the new F4n, but also make the F12 be...  12x XLR inputs (2x with AES stero) + 6x TA3F + 3.5mm + USB-C (for a  26 track machine, so you can record at least a couple of USB inputs as well, on top of everything else), Outputs would be 2x XLR (with AES) + 4x TA3M + 3.5mm. Have 3x full size USB as well (for a back up thumb drive of the recordings, the new Fn Control Surface, and a USB keyboard, all at once without needing to use a USB hub). I'd dream of a full size HDMI output as well, that could send the small built in screen to any HDMI screen. Add a bluetooth antenna to give the Zoom app crazy boosted range, like the 8 Series.  Would be nice if the "Zoom CL4" is stackable so you could use 2x CL4 with the F12, to give extra control over 16 inputs at once (the 8 direct controls on the F12, plus the bonus extra 2x 4 with the CL4). Understandably, the F12 would need to be bigger than the F8n, and even if it needs to be double the thickness, that's fine! Is still a very compact recorder! I'd buy this, even if it is double the cost.

http://ironfilm.co.nz/audio-field-recorders-in-2021-my-predictions-wild-guesses/

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #226 on: February 09, 2021, 09:41:15 AM »
Fun game. Nice list.

My top reqests for an F8n sucessor:
1) Make playback Mid/Side decoding work post fader with level and ratio adjustment capability.
Edit- 1b) Allow any relative input gain differences between channels to be retained upon engagement of Trim Link (Like the behavior the Tascam DR-680)  As it is engaging trim link across multiple channels forces the identical input trim setting across all of them.  If you do want that you can just set them that way prior to linking.
2) EQ (track pre&post fader, busses, headphones
3) Change routing to make all DSP (currently polarity, delay, etc) and new EQ available on playback.
4) More DSP to support the above.. possible VST plugin hosting?
5) Android control app
6) 8 analog outputs + headphone out
7) Internal bounce/mix-down to stereo
8 ) SPDIF in/out
9) 10 recorded input channel capability including SPDIF (Like the behavior of DR-680 providing capability for 8 total inputs when including SPDIF)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 05:54:02 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #227 on: February 09, 2021, 07:07:19 PM »
So you guys would basically like a Sound Devices Scorpio for 1/10 the price?  ;D

Besides things already mentioned, I would like to see the entire F series get an Android control app that allows remote monitoring.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #228 on: February 09, 2021, 10:01:19 PM »
So you guys would basically like a Sound Devices Scorpio for 1/10 the price?  ;D

Besides things already mentioned, I would like to see the entire F series get an Android control app that allows remote monitoring.

I ended up grabbing a second-hand iPhone for super cheap. I just keep it in the bag now for that reason.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #229 on: February 10, 2021, 05:04:57 PM »
Yeah, I've considered doing the same.

I'd be okay without more ins and outs as long as it has the other stuff. Top priority of my list is fixing M/S playback to provide level and width control
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #230 on: March 17, 2022, 02:04:31 PM »
Finally!  F8 control app for Android is now live. I had been bringing an old iPhone in my bag just for this, will be nice to just have it on my normal phone. It looks good with all the features the iOS version had.

https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/news/F8control_Android/
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 02:50:58 PM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #231 on: March 17, 2022, 02:22:59 PM »
Wow!  That's pretty surprising considering how long it's been since it came out.  Thanks for the heads up.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #232 on: March 17, 2022, 02:45:28 PM »
I think they really developed it due to the F8n pro, but they made it compatible with F8. Not sure, Just my guess. And yeah, definitely glad they did that!
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #233 on: March 17, 2022, 05:25:01 PM »
Wooo! Looking forward to trying this
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 05:29:28 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #234 on: March 17, 2022, 05:44:04 PM »
I found one recording studio guy using a pair of linked F8 for 16 track capture, but he's not used them paired as interfaces with a DAW.

This was posted back in 2019, but I'm wondering how the studio guy linked the two F8s so that they share the same clock?  Via their timecode interfaces?  Is Timecode able to provide sample-level clock sync?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 05:55:00 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #235 on: March 24, 2022, 01:52:17 PM »
Recorded show last week at a club. Wasn't able to get soundboard pull setup, so pulled three IEM feeds (from headphone-outs of the transmitters onstage) and then setup a pair of omni mics on top of the IEM rack. It was really nice being able to watch all the levels and control the F8 from my android phone while manning camera upstairs.

I had previously been using an old iphone from my girlfriend prior to the android release. One thing that annoyed me was the iphone would disconnect if you turned off the screen, so I basically never turned off the screen. The new android one has a "background mode", so it stays connected even if you close out the screen. Very nice.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2022, 09:31:28 AM »
Am I understanding it right that in order to use line in on the F8 I need to use 1/4 inch and that XLR doesn't support line level?

I hope I'm misunderstanding what I read through this thread, looking at buying an F8 but I really want XLRs not 1/4...
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2022, 09:53:42 AM »
F8n takes line level to XLR. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2022, 09:58:52 AM »
F8n takes line level to XLR.

Thank you
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #239 on: October 18, 2022, 10:06:03 AM »
The original F8 (which is what I have) does not include the ability to switch between mic/line input other than by physically changing which input is used.  The XLR inputs are always mic-in (phantom power is switchable), the TRS inputs always line-in (with no phantom power available).

On both the F8n and F8nPro the input sensitivity and phantom powering are fully switchable for either set of inputs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com