Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)  (Read 94377 times)

Offline drewt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 08:22:51 PM »
Interesting - perhaps Adorama is paring down it's ProSound inventory - there are many items slated as disco'd.
You could very well be correct.

It has been suggested in  other threads that the 701 pre-amps are a bit better quality. That coupled with a good form factor, time code and camera trigger may make the
701 workable. But - it here is an update to the DR70 at the same pricepoint - i would consider buying 2 (1 as a spare) in lieu of the 701.

NAB is end of April, will take a loaner to Europe for the first round...
Video / stills guy navigating the sound world.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »
Interesting - perhaps Adorama is paring down it's ProSound inventory - there are many items slated as disco'd.
You could very well be correct.

It has been suggested in  other threads that the 701 pre-amps are a bit better quality. That coupled with a good form factor, time code and camera trigger may make the
701 workable. But - it here is an update to the DR70 at the same pricepoint - i would consider buying 2 (1 as a spare) in lieu of the 701.

NAB is end of April, will take a loaner to Europe for the first round...

The 701D certainly does have better preamps than the DR-70D - for one thing, the opamps it uses are superior.  But the DR-680 mkII will also have better preamps, and for the same $600 price you get six of them.  I don't know that they are the same preamp circuit, but the critical specs are identical (EIN, distortion, S/N ratio).  There's a local professional location sound recording company I know that uses the 680 for low-track-count sessions.  So this is why I say that unless you need the camera triggering, the DR-680 mkII presents a better value from a pure audio recording standpoint.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline drewt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:40 PM »
Hmm, form factor over audio quality... Now hoping there is a newer middle ground model nearing release.

Having a smaller set up makes run and gunshooting easier - especially in "unfriendly" environments.
But shyte audio is a killer...

In a perfect world, i'd just go with a BMC Ursa 4.6 and a Sound Devices recorder. But that set up makes for a larger target profile.

Do you have any idea what the Tascam product release schedule is?

Thank you for you insights - not being a sound guy - they are quite helpful.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »
If Tascam follows any discernable pattern concerning when they release a new recorder, I haven't figured it out.  I'm also not sure that you can tell when Tascam is discontinuing something based on Adorama placing it on closeout.  B&H isn't showing any closeout on it.

The other thing is the 70d price is hovering around $299.  There was a point when B & H was selling it for under $200 including a copy of Sony SoundForge software. 

I think you should just order based on your expected needs and use.  The 70d can be powered by a cell phone battery.  The 680 is a 12v recorder so the external battery powering options are not as plentiful and inexpensive as the 70d.  The 70d is also much more compact. 

Offline drewt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 09:10:38 AM »
Curious that it jumped 1/3 in price. At $200 it would have been a no brainer.

Thanks for info - my mics for this kit run on either phantom or double AA (Rodes ntg2 & ntg4, senny G3s, upgrading to the AVXs).
It's going to come down to 701 vs 70 price vs quality value analysis...

Ordered the 70d today for a test run....
Now to delve into this thread for operating tips... Grin.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 05:18:37 AM »
My two 70D's have been NOTHING but 100% reliable [*knock on wood*] with my SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards! Ive been running battery tests and recording on my 128gb SanDisk card for over 200 hours the past few weeks, and as ALWAYS, the 70D has performed 100% flawlessly ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 08:57:18 AM »
My two 70D's have been NOTHING but 100% reliable [*knock on wood*] with my SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards! Ive been running battery tests and recording on my 128gb SanDisk card for over 200 hours the past few weeks, and as ALWAYS, the 70D has performed 100% flawlessly ;D

Ditto. I upgraded to the 1.14 firmware before I ever used it (well over a year ago) and it has preformed flawlessly.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 06:50:20 PM »

Thanks for info - my mics for this kit run on either phantom or double AA (Rodes ntg2 & ntg4, senny G3s, upgrading to the AVXs).

$299 was pretty much the regular street price until some vendors would put it on big discounts every few months.

For operating tips, you can find a quick reference in the DR-70D FAQ (link in my signature).  The manual is not very well written, and I recently revised the menu reference you'll find in that thread because I was having trouble remembering what does what in the menu.

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 02:03:25 PM »
I'll be taking my new 70d on it's maiden voyage tomorrow night.  Playing around with it today trying to drain the usb battery.  key word trying ;)  I have it sitting on my desk recording with the internal mics.  anyway when I came back up from lunch it was turned off.  Battery still has over 50% and there are internal AA as backup.  I turned it back on and saw the card was full.  So I'm guessing the card filled up so it went idle and then turned itself off after 30 minutes.  does this sound right?
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 02:44:51 PM »
I'll be taking my new 70d on it's maiden voyage tomorrow night.  Playing around with it today trying to drain the usb battery.  key word trying ;)  I have it sitting on my desk recording with the internal mics.  anyway when I came back up from lunch it was turned off.  Battery still has over 50% and there are internal AA as backup.  I turned it back on and saw the card was full.  So I'm guessing the card filled up so it went idle and then turned itself off after 30 minutes.  does this sound right?

I never ran a card full, so I can't answer that. But if there is anything wrong with the unit it can be returned for a full refund.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 02:56:37 PM »

$299 was pretty much the regular street price until some vendors would put it on big discounts every few months.

For operating tips, you can find a quick reference in the DR-70D FAQ (link in my signature).  The manual is not very well written, and I recently revised the menu reference you'll find in that thread because I was having trouble remembering what does what in the menu.
[/qtill uote]

I've read some of the different threads and through the FAQ, but still unsure about the pan feature.  I doubt I'll run four channel so for two channels in XLR or stereo mini input what its the recommended pan setting? 

A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 03:02:28 PM »

I never ran a card full, so I can't answer that. But if there is anything wrong with the unit it can be returned for a full refund.

Thanks but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.  It makes sense anyway ;)  Just trying to confirm!
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 03:26:25 PM »
So I'm guessing the card filled up so it went idle and then turned itself off after 30 minutes.  does this sound right?
yes, the 30-minute idle shutdown will save the AA's, in case your battery pack dies too.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 03:36:11 PM »
Under BASIC > PAN
Left 12 = left channel only, Right 12 = right channel only.

Default should be input channels 1 & 3 go to Left 12, inputs 2 & 4 would be Right 12

Zero is in the center (mono)

I've read some of the different threads and through the FAQ, but still unsure about the pan feature.  I doubt I'll run four channel so for two channels in XLR or stereo mini input what its the recommended pan setting?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 04:35:17 PM »
if one were trying to get all levels from an external pre where would you start the level knobs on the 70d?  all the way down without turning it off?

For sbd feeds where's a good place to start?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com