Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)  (Read 94362 times)

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »
So the brand new recorder had a great opening performance last night. Recorded two bands, ran my recently phantom power modded Teac ME-120 mics in CH 1/2 and a soundboard feed into CH 3/4. Took me a couple minutes to find the phantom setting even though (I think) I saw it the night before when I was checking out the recorder settings.

What I didn't find last night was the low/med/high/high+ input gain settings, but I was still ok level-wise, more so on the sbd side than the mics.

It also seemed like the maximum headphones volume was nowhere near what the DR-60D puts out. And I will miss the ability to monitor channels 1/2 and 3/4 separately.

I do like the form factor with this deck, and no longer have to worry about the DR-60D CH 3/4 input problems I was having from time to time if the deck or cable got moved.

Thanks Voltronic for the FAQ, and Gordon for the battery suggestion. I probably should have one of those just in case.

Gotta lot to learn here...time to start reading thru these threads.  8)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2017, 06:06:03 AM »
If the clock isn't moving, you haven't pressed record.

I really don't see how Gordon wasn't clear on this.

I thought he was saying that was a problem of some kind.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2017, 10:15:17 PM »
70-D newbie question here-
Regarding this feature from the FAQ- 2MIX - *2MIX is a stereo mixdown of all armed channels.  PAN adjustments made to tracks will affect recordings made in this mode only

Is that another way of mixing four channels straight down to two? And if so, would that qualify as an instant matrix, delay and all?

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2017, 03:09:04 AM »
Regarding this feature from the FAQ- 2MIX - *2MIX is a stereo mixdown of all armed channels.  PAN adjustments made to tracks will affect recordings made in this mode only

Is that another way of mixing four channels straight down to two? And if so, would that qualify as an instant matrix, delay and all?

That is correct. Pan and delay only affect the mix bus. This affects the 2MIX recording as well as the Line Out 1/8" output. When recording four tracks they will not affected. Typical usage of Line out of mix feature would be to feed audio to a streaming box such as Teradek's Vidiu.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2017, 07:43:21 PM »

That is correct. Pan and delay only affect the mix bus. This affects the 2MIX recording as well as the Line Out 1/8" output. When recording four tracks they will not affected. Typical usage of Line out of mix feature would be to feed audio to a streaming box such as Teradek's Vidiu.
I realize that most folks here advise against it but, I want to try the 2Mix next weekend where I'll be archiving a three day indoor bluegrass festival with a set of mics hanging about 10ft in front of and about 15ft above the stage, and also a stereo sbd feed. I may only use minimal delay on the sbd feed if any.
I guess what I don't understand is how the levels will work. Is that final 2 track recording going to be based on the mic and sbd levels on my meters? That said, if I run all four inputs at about the same level, would that final mix then be a 50/50 matrix?
And do I have to run them a bit low so the combined signals aren't too high?
If I can get this to work well, it'll save me tons of time in post.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:12:17 PM by billydee »

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2017, 07:41:44 AM »

I realize that most folks here advise against it but, I want to try the 2Mix next weekend where I'll be archiving a three day indoor bluegrass festival with a set of mics hanging about 10ft in front of and about 15ft above the stage, and also a stereo sbd feed. I may only use minimal delay on the sbd feed if any.
I guess what I don't understand is how the levels will work. Is that final 2 track recording going to be based on the mic and sbd levels on my meters? That said, if I run all four inputs at about the same level, would that final mix then be a 50/50 matrix?

Add me to the list of folks advising against this...!

If it goes wrong - you're stuck.

Remember - since you're going to be using the same setup all weekend - In post - once you figure out your delay/alignment number - you can just repeat that for each set - no need to realign by eye/ear every set - that will cut down post time nicely.

Also - slightly concerned about you mic placement..."10 feet from the band and 15 feet above?"

Sounds too close - and too high. 10 feet sounds way to close for PA recording.

And - most sound guys are only 5-6 feet tall - and mix for the sound to be good where people are listening - not 15 feet above.

Stay on the speaker projection axis...

If you really want to try this - pick one of the early bands - and run one set like that - and then check it out...but I wouldn't roll the whole event like that.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2017, 10:30:27 AM »

Remember - since you're going to be using the same setup all weekend - In post - once you figure out your delay/alignment number - you can just repeat that for each set - no need to realign by eye/ear every set - that will cut down post time nicely.

Also - slightly concerned about you mic placement..."10 feet from the band and 15 feet above?"

And - most sound guys are only 5-6 feet tall - and mix for the sound to be good where people are listening - not 15 feet above.

If you really want to try this - pick one of the early bands - and run one set like that - and then check it out...but I wouldn't roll the whole event like that.
I appreciate the advice, thanks.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2017, 10:45:10 AM »

I think using stage/close micing for Bluegrass is not a great idea.

Those acoustic instruments don't really make any noise on stage, and the only stage sound will be from monitors...and those monitors are pointed at the musicians.

You really want the PA sound if you are thinking of fodder for matrix.

For bluegrass - get about 20-30 feet back from the PA - and use a pair of OMNIS - split about 6-8 feet...dreamy!

Check out this effort from last year...no matrix necessary!

https://archive.org/details/mountainride2016-06-11

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »

I think using stage/close micing for Bluegrass is not a great idea.

Those acoustic instruments don't really make any noise on stage, and the only stage sound will be from monitors...and those monitors are pointed at the musicians.

You really want the PA sound if you are thinking of fodder for matrix.

For bluegrass - get about 20-30 feet back from the PA - and use a pair of OMNIS - split about 6-8 feet...dreamy!

Check out this effort from last year...no matrix necessary!

https://archive.org/details/mountainride2016-06-11
That recording does sound nice. But it's not Colorado, where although crowds are not too bad for this particular venue/fest, are probably the chattiest anywhere on Earth. I don't record ever unless I have a board feed to go with the mics. And fortunately in my part of the state I get a board feed 99% of the time and can usually place my mics anywhere within reason.
I've been recording at this venue for a while and pulled 4 channel matrix recordings for three days straight at last years fest. Using a pair of cardioid condensers 35 feet from stage, about 8 feet high and a board feed. And am very happy with the results.
This year I was looking to get a closer mic position and I have the opportunity to mount a flange for mics permanently on the beam in front of the stage. And my assumption is that there will be less possible chatter with mics in that location and any combination of stage volume/PA will mix nicely with the board feed. I plan to use my phantom modded Teac ME-120s with card caps for this application.

So thank you for the advice. I'd like nothing more than to run a set of omni caps from 20-30 feet away but....

I am still looking for thoughts on how my four input levels on the DR-70D will affect the final two track mix.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:46:47 PM by billydee »

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2017, 05:47:43 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the only one finding the 70d kind of a pain to fit in my gear bag to my liking.  This is not my full time deck so not getting another bag just for it.  So I made some stilts like I did years ago for my V3.

4 inch mending plates and Velcro from Home Depot = $8.  The have also have 5,6 + inch.  You could use the screw holes on the top if you wanted.

It's not pretty but it works!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 08:01:15 PM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2017, 11:34:29 PM »

It also seemed like the maximum headphones volume was nowhere near what the DR-60D puts out. And I will miss the ability to monitor channels 1/2 and 3/4 separately.

I fully agree with the low headphone output.  I haven't tried yet, but can the output level in the Monitor Settings menu be turned up a few db to increase the headphone output level?  It can be turned up to +12db.

FYI.. I sold my Tascam DR-680mkii (which I loved and will miss), to downsize to the DR-70, and have been incredibly happy with the decision.  My gear bag size has decreased greatly, external 5V usb power is awesome (cheap, small, effective), and the pre's are equivalent.
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2017, 09:00:23 AM »
So I ordered one of the "Tascam DR-70D tested SD cards" from Amazon (sent from Circuit City) and it seems to be slightly different.

I ordered the SDSDUP-016G "Ultra Plus", but instead I got the SDSUNB-016G "Ultra" model card.

Should I be concerned?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »
So I ordered one of the "Tascam DR-70D tested SD cards" from Amazon (sent from Circuit City) and it seems to be slightly different.

I ordered the SDSDUP-016G "Ultra Plus", but instead I got the SDSUNB-016G "Ultra" model card.

Should I be concerned?

I could be wrong, but my impression was that after the FIRMWARE V1.14 update, using a card from the Tascam approved list was not as crucial.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »
Trashcan never admitted that there was a problem, so they have not verified that they have fixed it.

I would stick with exactly what is on the list, but I've gotten burned a few times with the older firmware.

By the time 1.14 came out, most of us were paranoid enough to be using cards on the list.

Also, if you use a card not on their list, Tascam "customer service" will blow off your complaints.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:26:47 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »

Should I be concerned?

Return it immediately.  Multiple red flags:

For starters, the card they sent is microSD card according to the model number you posted.  It's not what you ordered.

Second, Amazon is a SanDisk authorized retailer, but that only counts for items that are sold and shipped directly from them.  There are countless stories of counterfeit flash media on eBay and Amazon Marketplace.  Circuit City is not a SanDisk authorized retailer, so even though they are a known name I wouldn't totally trust this sale.

Third: The provenance of this card being in question and it not being on the approved card list, you're lowering the odds of it working correctly.

Best Buy has the card you're looking for, often in stock locally.  That's where I bought mine.

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com