Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Record player and amplifier question: Rega Planar 1 and Cyrus II  (Read 6596 times)

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
It's my birthday soon, and I'm in the market for my first LP player - are these two a good match? I'm concerned that the Rega Planar I does not have a preamp - will it work with the Cyrus?

Here's a pic of the inputs for my '80s Cyrus 2:

Cheers,

Humbug
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Record player and amplifier question: Rega Planar 1 and Cyrus II
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »
Looks like you're all set. First, use the switch to choose the type of cartridge you are using (MC stands for Moving Coil and MM stands for Moving Magnet). Then, use the corresponding pair of 'PHONO INPUTS' to connect to the turntable's outputs.

Finally, make sure to connect the ground wire from the turntable to the GND terminal.

Do you already have some vinyl to play?

Enjoy!

Enjoy!

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 11:10:17 AM »
Looks like you're all set. First, use the switch to choose the type of cartridge you are using (MC stands for Moving Coil and MM stands for Moving Magnet). Then, use the corresponding pair of 'PHONO INPUTS' to connect to the turntable's outputs.

Finally, make sure to connect the ground wire from the turntable to the GND terminal.

Do you already have some vinyl to play?

Enjoy!

Enjoy!

Cool, thank you. I have a ton of vinyl, from memory, here's some of it:

Led Zeppelin's entire back catalogue
Hendrix live at the Beeb on triple sided purple vinyl (might stick to the CD for this one)
Pink Floyd - Meddle
~12 x Led Zeppelin bootlegs pressed in the '80s (most of these I have on CDR)
Alternative Abbey Road and Sgt Peppers
Ride's (Oxford shoegaze band) entire first two years output
Abba's greatest hits :-)
The Eagles "
Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for destruction
The Who - Live at Leeds
The Who - Quadrophenia
Cream - live at RAH (I expect this will halve in value if I break the seal on the box set)
Elton John - Madman Across The Water
various other singles and albums I inherited from my parents

and on the way....Rose Hill Drive's new album, Mania (vinyl only release)

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 11:39:49 AM »
By the way is a vinyl cleaning machine absolutely essential?

Most of the records were bought new and have been carefully stored for 20-30 years, but a few were second hand purchases.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 11:58:53 AM »
I only listen to my vinyl occasionally, so I use manual cleaning methods. I would guess that a vacuum system could do a better job, but haven't taken the plunge.

There are DIY solutions out there if you like to tinker. Moke posted his solution on here a while back.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 12:57:51 PM »
a vacuum based system (VPI or homebrew or the like) is essential in my opinion.  Even new vinyl benefits from a cleaning (as I have seen quite a bit of dirty new vinyl straight from the plant lately), and older vinyl becomes new again.  Honestly, I buy 1-3$ records all the time that are dirty as shit, and when cleaned play very close to new.

So not an immediate need, but you are into vinyl for the long haul and buying going forward, I think it is worth its weight in gold.

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 02:13:24 PM »
An RCM is a bonus. But you can also get by with a minimalist kit until you decide of this game of vinyl is for you.
A minimalist kit might have a paint edging pad, some Isopropyl Alc, a drip or two of detergent, micro-fiber towels, and distilled rinse water.
paint pad, like this:

One of those athletic water bottles, or scientist-like bottles with the squeeze spout makes applying the cleaning solution easy.  Wipe the record with the painting pad, working the solution into the grooves, let it rest, scrub again, and rinse and dry.  Some folks use a clean dish rack to dry their records.

I'm of the vacuum cleaner camp.
I built an RCM around a VPI vacuum stanchion and tube, the Vactrola.  I have two platters for cleaning; one for wet cleaning, which is hand rotated. I have a second platter with a motor on it, and the VPI vacuum wand. I clean on one platter, move the record to the motorized vac side, and while it is vacuuming, I clean the cleaning platter off, and ready for the other side / other record.
There are also ultrasonic cleaners that people have devised.

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 06:48:49 PM »
Rega arms do not have a separate ground wire. They use the ground on the left channel rca. So, don't worry when you can't figure out how to ground the arm.

In 99.99% of all cases this never ends up being a problem. The odds are with you! Enjoy.

Prediction. You are going to be enjoying everything  vinyl brings that by next year your investment in analog will have far exceeded what you were prepared to spend today. So make sure your second purchase takes that into account when you upgrade. The first one is to see if you like it, the second is to buy right the first time and enjoy for a long time.

Welcome to the club.

I apologize for buying up all the good used vinyl leaving you only new vinyl that is worth buying today. Really, don't judge vinyl by what is left in the used bins. Most of what remains sounds compromised and not reflective of what vinyl offers. Really!

And, when you buy that brand new vinyl, if it is not perfect, return it. Do not accept poorly pressed new vinyl.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 09:33:07 AM »
I have the older model RP1 in a second system and it's a great turntable. The cartridge that comes with it is not very good, however. You will probably want to upgrade the Planar 1 cartridge to a Rega Bias2, or something like an Ortofon Red or Blue (you may need shims for those). The turntable's performance can also be improved with a subplatter upgrade kit. All in all, an excellent choice for an entry level turntable.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com