Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 157498 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2017, 08:50:41 PM »
Haven't heard back, but when I look the d:vice up on the dpa site, I see this:

"44.1, 48 (default), 88.2, 96 kHz. Sample rates can be set by 3rd-party app"

So maybe the a/d is handled by the d:vice but not set in the dpa app, but via the recording app you use...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »
Here's another video I came across. Acoustic guitar fingerpicking with 2x 4060 > MMA d:vice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC340vBkpXU
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline dominicperry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2017, 09:02:47 AM »
The A/D conversion is done by the d:vice. Apple's Lightning connector is digital only (unlike the old 30pin connector, which at one time was both analogue and digital, before it became digital only around the time of the iPhone 4S).

As well as the digital audio signal, Lightning carries power and control signals. So the DPA app can in theory set things like gain level and sample rate (it doesn't control sample rate at the moment). Other applications can also change these things, if the DPA d:vice and the 3rd party application use standard 'CoreAudio' functionality. The DPA app has a 'lock' button, which implies that the parameters it sets can be locked so that other applications can't change things. That would be a proprietary control.
It's hard to say how this will work in the real world without trying one.

As a similar example (and related, because Macs also use 'CoreAudio') - if you have an Apogee audio interface, the mic pre-amp gain can be set on the physical interface itself, and by the Apogee Maestro app on the Mac. If you have Apple's Logic (DAW) then you can alter the mic-preamp gain from inside Logic, but if you use Presonus Studio One, you can't.

Does that help? Probably not. We will have to wait to see..........

Dominic

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
When I saw the demo, the dpa app locked the levels and the gain was not able to be altered with the third party app. However it was the third party app (hindenberg was the one used) that set the word length and sample rate. The app had only 2448 settings, but maybe garage band does 2496... I was told that the d:vice can go better than 24192....
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2017, 08:08:40 PM »
Any brave souls placed their order yet? It appears a few retailers are accepting drop shipment orders.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2017, 06:29:00 AM »
If I hadn't just dropped a pile of cash on some other taping toys (mics, recorder), I would have ordered one already.  I will get one soon, though, after I replenish the coffers a bit.  A month or two.  I assume there will be many reviews by then; a DPA distributor I spoke with said there has been a LOT of interest...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »
I'm holding out for the 4-channel version.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Chrysler

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2017, 01:06:47 PM »
i dont have an iphone but the d:vice just works fine on my android smartphone together with a pair of DPA 4018 (d:dicate) mics :)
Essential is that you use an OTG USB Cable otherwise the d:vice won't be recognized.
I use RecForge for Recording.

Someone need to programm an app so you can change the settings on androids as well... ;)
DPA 4060/4061/4081/4011/4015/4018  > Tascam DR-10L Pro | Zoom F-3 | DPA MMP-GR/GS > DPA D:VICE > iphone 12 mini

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2017, 01:52:01 PM »
Cool, good to hear and thanks for the report.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2017, 08:47:48 PM »
i dont have an iphone but the d:vice just works fine on my android smartphone together with a pair of DPA 4018 (d:dicate) mics :)
Essential is that you use an OTG USB Cable otherwise the d:vice won't be recognized.

Someone need to programm an app so you can change the settings on androids as well... ;)

Is the short MMA-A to USB cable that comes with the DPA d:vice the kind of cable you mean?

Do you know any Android recording apps that do 24/96 with seamless splits at 2 or 4 GB and keep on recording?

Jeff

Offline beenjammin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2017, 09:06:25 PM »

What are your thoughts on the quality of the pre and AD conversion? On par with the Nagra SD?

Offline Chrysler

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »
The Cables that come with the D:VICE are not suitable to run it on an android smartphone. Just for connecting with IPHONE or PC. I also tried using many adapters with these cables at first but none worked.
I finally got it to work with this cable: http://www.meenova.com/st/p/mbc_c2mu.html

I don't know about the recommandable recording apps myself yet. You can record 24 Bit/192 etc. with USB Audio Recorder Pro:
http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/products/usb-audio-recorder-pro

It also splits the files at 2 GB.
http://www.extreamsd.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=541

Also i havent done a proper comparison to my non-stealth equipment.
I was just happy my stealth rig was reduced to nearly nothing when i got it to work yesterday :)
Quality (just recorded some music of my speakers) was excellent however.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:08:20 PM by Chrysler »
DPA 4060/4061/4081/4011/4015/4018  > Tascam DR-10L Pro | Zoom F-3 | DPA MMP-GR/GS > DPA D:VICE > iphone 12 mini

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2017, 04:42:40 PM »
That's encouraging.

The stated multichannel recording ability of USB Audio Recorder Pro got me wondering about running two d:VICE into one phone.
Found this similar inquiry, which is at least suggests that possibility in the future if not presently- http://www.extreamsd.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=442

Just thinking that option may come to fruition before/if DPA ever decides to produce a 4-channel version.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2017, 08:27:51 PM »
The Cables that come with the D:VICE are not suitable to run it on an android smartphone. Just for connecting with IPHONE or PC. I also tried using many adapters with these cables at first but none worked.
I finally got it to work with this cable: http://www.meenova.com/st/p/mbc_c2mu.html

This cable will work with an android phone that uses a USB C cable, I have an ancient Samsung with only micro-USB (like the MMA-A itself).  What phone are you using?

The program does seem from the descriptions to do what I want (too bad there is no iOS version). 

Jeff

Offline Chrysler

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2017, 02:53:31 PM »
I use the Sony Xperia ZX Premium.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com