Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 157473 times)

Offline madman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #480 on: July 20, 2021, 03:10:59 PM »
Any updates on which iPhones/IOS work, or any other general d:VICE news/thoughts? haven’t used mine since before the shutdown and will be using it soon!
I just ordered one and pre-covid got an ipod touch to use. Anything that supports a recent iOS and has a lightning connector will work AFAIK. I'm looking forward to this upgrade from recording onto minidisc many moons ago. It's been probably 10 years since I taped.

Offline chiefscribe

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #481 on: September 06, 2021, 06:30:12 PM »

Getting started with a new d:vice and refurbished iPhone SE to use with DPA 4060s, and am trying to think through whether there's any advantage to using a different apple ID than I use for my regular phone. 

I guess there would be a little bit of additional free cloud storage, but OTOH I already pay for plenty of storage for photos and w/ a separate AID there would be separate purchases for recording apps etc.

Is there anything I'm missing on this decision?  That "hello" setup screen is waiting for me to decide, and I lean toward just using my same apple ID, but maybe one of you has reasons why I shouldn't...? 

Offline chiefscribe

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #482 on: September 06, 2021, 07:57:27 PM »
Also, I am inclined to remove messages, mail, and any other apps that might generate notifications or interruptions of any sort.  Presumably if it's connected to wireless I could always re-download them from the cloud.  With cell service off and in airplane mode it shouldn't be an issue, right? 

If you are using a dedicated iOS device for recording, how do you have it set up? 

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #483 on: September 06, 2021, 08:29:13 PM »
I try to keep my “recording phone” as free of apps or anything running on it as possible. I don’t know that it’s truly necessary, if you didn’t do that just making sure other apps were closed and the phone being in airplane mode should probably be enough.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #484 on: September 06, 2021, 11:58:47 PM »
I have a dedicated iPod Touch 32GB. I bought it new, installed the required apps, and left everything else as is. No issues (other than operator error) so far.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline fourdegreeswarmer

• Taperssection Newbie
  • shh, i'm taping this...
« Reply #485 on: October 16, 2021, 04:53:50 AM »
I have a pair of DPA 4061s terminating in a single 3.5mm jack. Could I use them with the d:VICE if I got some sort of 3.5mm-to-dual microdot cable, or would I have to get the mics reterminated with microdots?
DPA 4061 > SPSB-6 > R-09

Offline taug

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #486 on: October 17, 2021, 01:05:48 PM »
I'm not affiliated with the seller but I noticed these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304082647385

Offline fourdegreeswarmer

• Taperssection Newbie
  • shh, i'm taping this...
« Reply #487 on: October 18, 2021, 05:21:04 AM »
I'm not affiliated with the seller but I noticed these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304082647385
Yes! That's the sort of thing I had in mind. Can anyone see a reason why that wouldn't work?
DPA 4061 > SPSB-6 > R-09

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #488 on: October 18, 2021, 09:43:17 AM »
Should work fine.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #489 on: December 13, 2021, 02:22:03 PM »

End of the year bump...
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #490 on: December 23, 2021, 12:31:45 PM »
I have a dedicated iPod Touch 32GB. I bought it new, installed the required apps, and left everything else as is. No issues (other than operator error) so far.

Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B),

I'm thinking about doing the same thing that you did, buy a new, dedicated iPod Touch, probably a 128 GB version.  It sounds like everything was straightforward in using the iPod Touch for you.  Do you run this in a protective case (Otterbox, etc,)?  Thanks!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #491 on: December 23, 2021, 12:45:52 PM »

Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B),

I'm thinking about doing the same thing that you did, buy a new, dedicated iPod Touch, probably a 128 GB version.  It sounds like everything was straightforward in using the iPod Touch for you.  Do you run this in a protective case (Otterbox, etc,)?  Thanks!

I don't run any case. Straight up 32GB iPod Touch. I can see the need to go with the 128GB model if you're going to stealth a multi-day festival, but 32 GB works for me. I know I'll never record more than 32 GB (or whatever is left over beyond the OS and apps) in a day, and then I can dump the files to my laptop at the end of the day.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #492 on: December 23, 2021, 05:35:29 PM »
How many hours of recording 24/96 CAF files does the ipod touch 7 battery get?  Assuming WiFi turned off, screen on but dimmed.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #493 on: December 23, 2021, 05:42:35 PM »
How many hours of recording 24/96 CAF files does the ipod touch 7 battery get?  Assuming WiFi turned off, screen on but dimmed.

I've never tested it until the battery is dead, but I've gotten 4 hours of audio no problem. I think if I were at a festival or a show with a lot of bands I could easily plug in a USB battery between sets and make it until it was out of storage.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #494 on: December 23, 2021, 06:07:00 PM »
I'm spoiled.  I get 9 hours on an iPhone Xr, that's my target.  Can you get a battery life % left reading after 4 hours?  Six hours total would be comfortable if not ideal.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com