Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser AMBEO SMART HEADSET  (Read 35824 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sennheiser AMBEO SMART HEADSET
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2021, 08:54:45 AM »
I finally got these going after a bit of a hiccup due to an internet cable failure out in the street (so I couldn't download the latest firmware, then had horrendous difficulty finding a way of actually getting the recorded files onto my Windows PC (where I couldn't install iTunes due also to said lack of internet).  But I've not yet had a chance to get out and about with them.

I'm only just now testing the headphone aspect - general opinion seems to be that they are bass shy and very bright. Well, for me they have massive bass if I screw them into my ears as if attempting to cause brain damage.  [First track of Max Richter's "Sleep" has about as low a low frequency pulse happening as you could wish to hear].  But they also do cover high and very high frequencies well, which for my tired old 70+ ears is great. The eq in the app is quite flexible despite having only three adjustment points, as you can at least slide them left and right as well as up and down.

Noise reduction is also pretty dependent on achieving a good seal at the ear, as one might expect.

Are they demonstrably better for recording than the Roland binaural mics?  I'll have to test that carefully, somehow.  But if nothing else they are an interesting device, and at the current kind of price I'm happy to add them to my arsenal of binaurals (Hooke Verse, Rolands, and this).

Offline heva

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2021, 12:04:26 PM »
Bass shy and very bright was my opinion too, until I found out how to position the in-ears.
Then it’s a lot better, but they don’t stay put and I generally dislike in-ears, but got the set for recording which so far seems impressive.
Quite like my UsiMikroPro-DR100mkiii combo, but even more mobile :-)

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2021, 04:50:26 PM »
It seems to be basically a 24 bit digital mic (given that you can't change the level in the Apogee app, so I assume it is passing a digital stream to the phone) and is therefore perhaps the cheapest 24 bit stereo mic you can buy?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2021, 12:21:32 AM »
It seems to be basically a 24 bit digital mic (given that you can't change the level in the Apogee app, so I assume it is passing a digital stream to the phone) and is therefore perhaps the cheapest 24 bit stereo mic you can buy?
it is 24 bit, which speaks nothing to its quality.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline heva

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2021, 06:58:54 AM »
The Apogee app offers two levels for recording, a bit coarse, but it works.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2021, 07:09:26 PM »
it is 24 bit, which speaks nothing to its quality.

True, but like the new 32 bit recorders, it has no level control, which is convenient.  Well, there are (as pointed out above) two settings, but the setting for loud sources would probably only be required in the front row of a rock concert.  As for quality, I was first drawn to it after watching a YouTube video which didn't state its audio source, but right away it impressed me - on enquiry the poster said it was the Ambeo.  By brand alone, the Sennheiser / Apogee pairing should be good.  Should...

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2021, 11:03:13 PM »
Figured I'd share a sample from these things. First time using them at a Classical show.

I did eq this and add some compression, so doesn't sound like this out of the recorder.

https://soundcloud.com/fatah-ruark/piano-quintet-in-e-flat-major-allegro-brillante

I'm happy with it for minimal effort. I just hung the "mics" from my shirt. Didn't want to look like and idiot wearing them in my ears in a clearly lit room. :D
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2021, 07:19:28 PM »
Unfortunately, used like that the stereo image collapses and the point is lost...

[Edit - could you specify the app you used on the phone for this recording?  I hate to say it, but I rather suspect the recording was made using the mic on the phone and not the mics on the Ambeo headset.  It just sounds completely wrong, sorry.]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 08:42:44 AM by Ozpeter »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2021, 09:28:46 PM »
Wow... I just purchased an adapter - "UGREEN USB-C to Lightning Adapter Cable USB Type C Male to Lightning Female Headphones Converter for iPad/MacBook/USB C Phones to Connect with Lightning Earphones Support Remote Control, Microphone" - and the Ambeo headset works with one of my two Android phones (Poco F1) -  the other phone only seems to work in mono, but I will experiment more - and also, it works with my "DJI Action 2" camera, which is pretty neat.  I thought this device was totally iOS only, but with this adapter much more is possible.  What a shame that they dicontinued the Ambio headset - it seems quite hard to find now, although very reasonably priced if your luck is in.

Offline heva

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2021, 10:10:22 AM »
Cool.
Would be nice if the Headset could work with a laptop

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2021, 10:33:35 AM »
The Ugreen adapter is supposed to work with laptops - I've not tried it yet.

See my video showing the Ambeo headset used with the Action 2 camera -

https://youtu.be/nXMn1V9eon8

Offline andrewmo88

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2021, 11:46:33 PM »
OK! I tried this time. Was in the sweet spot. Wore the mics in my ears. Other than the crowd being fairly rowdy for being pretty old...the recording turned out decent.

I wouldn't be satisfied if all of my recordings were of this quality but for shows that I'd like a copy without having to jump through too many hoops for a stealth job they are pretty good.

Here's a sample. I have applied a bit of EQ (the master is pretty boomy), and a tad bit of compression.

https://soundcloud.com/fatah-ruark/bob-dylan-simple-twist-of-fate-live

EDIT:
Full show audio here. I did add a bit more EQ and Compression to this version (feel free to let me know which one you like more):
https://youtu.be/X3sHVgTBhOQ

I just got my hands on a set of these and aiming to try them at a show coming up next week. Are there any settings to be set in Apogee Metarecorder ahead of time? (Apart from setting to "low" on the headset?). Feel free to shoot me a DM, would love to pick your brain.

Thanks!

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2021, 03:51:32 AM »

I just got my hands on a set of these and aiming to try them at a show coming up next week. Are there any settings to be set in Apogee Metarecorder ahead of time? (Apart from setting to "low" on the headset?). Feel free to shoot me a DM, would love to pick your brain.

Thanks!
Hello Welcome to Taperssection

I don't know what '"low" on the headset' means. You should set the Apogee Smart Headset App's recording level to "Reduce Level" for loud levels like amplified music. I don't use Metarecorder, but there should be nothing to set other than the sampling/bit rate. The rest is handled by the Apogee interface on the headset. It doesn't get any simpler.

Another matter. It doesn't help the forum spirit to take knowledge-sharing to DM unless it is a sensitive or private matter. There are plenty of forum categories where you can search or ask for help  :)
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2021, 08:27:41 PM »
Make sure you set Metarecorder to record in CAF format otherwise it will stop recording when the file gets to 2GB.

I convert CAF to WAV with dbPowerAmp. I think you can also open CAF files with Audacity and then save them as WAV files for programs that don't recognize CAF files.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2021, 09:49:41 AM »
I just bought a second Ambeo headset, a black one which will be less obvious in use.  I got it from this Amazon seller (with whom I have no connection) -

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-AMBEO-Smart-Headset-Ear/dp/B08F72P94X - about $65 - seems fine even at that price.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com