Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Who repairs Nakamichi cassette decks nowadays?  (Read 56155 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Who repairs Nakamichi cassette decks nowadays?
« on: April 29, 2018, 10:40:05 PM »
Hi. I have a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck that was overhauled by Nakamichi 15 or 20 years ago, but they have since stopped repairing their old gear. Recently the deck has developed a mechanical (transport) problem which causes tape to be handled incorrectly, resulting in very poor tape-to-head contact.

I would like to have the deck repaired if possible, but don't know who to send it to. Has anyone here had mechanical repairs done on a Dragon, or another high-ish-end Nakamichi deck, in the past few years--and if so can you recommend anyone on the basis of that experience?

--best regards

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:42:33 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Who repairs Nakamichi cassette decks nowadays?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 05:51:11 AM »
sup DSatz!

i think ESL is still the go-to

https://www.eslabs.com/nakamichi.htm
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline old and in the way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 06:15:25 AM »
Danny Herman.  A dragon wizard.

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 06:18:20 AM »
My bad it's willy herman

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 11:01:04 AM »
I just had e-mail correspondence with Willie Hermann last week about repairing my Nak 680ZX. He is on about a 9 month waiting list, mentioned he would want to do a full service which would run $500 - $600. Seems expensive, but this deck is going for up to $1500 on ebay so I'm on his waiting list for repair. Need to get my analog masters transferred.

http://www.willyhermannservices.com/

Offline ohr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 08:48:41 PM »
It has been quite a few years, but Stephen Sank has done some wonderful work on my Dragons. Give him a call and let him know about the problem you're having.  He can sometimes even walk you through the diagnosis and potential solution over the phone. My experience with Stephen has been excellent with both repairs and modifications.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 12:32:49 PM »
Many thanks for these replies. I'm in the process of moving, but when I emerge from the other end of the long dark passageway, I'll be glad to have this information to work with.

--best regards

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 05:17:59 PM »
I spoke to the guys over at Pro Digital http://www.prodigitalinc.com/ a while back about getting my NAK CR-7A repaired (as well as saving the cassette that's stuck in it!) and they told me they do the work and could easily save the show stuck inside.  My past experience with them was with a Sony DAT M-10, and they did a fantastic job on that.  I still haven't done anything with the Nak deck, but need to deal with that asap.  If anyone has a good experience, that they didn't have to wait forever to get theirs fixed and it didn't cost them an arm and a leg, please let me (and others) know.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:58:07 PM by nak700s »
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 06:31:00 PM »
Willy Hermann in Orinda, CA.  He was and is the best on the West Coast without a doubt. 

I have a CR-5A that I am about to sell and I imagine that I will pull a premium because I have an invoice from him servicing the deck.

http://www.willyhermannservices.com
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 02:34:34 PM »
I got an email response from Mr. Hermann today. He apparently doesn't do repairs in the usual sense; he only does complete rebuilds of decks, for which he said the usual charge would be "around $750 - $800" with a nine-month waiting period.

This deck was completely overhauled by Nakamichi about 10 or 15 years ago, and I think that its problems are relatively limited in nature. Plus I am using it for playback only. So I think I will check out the other two shops that were mentioned.

--best regards

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 02:52:48 PM »
I got an email response from Mr. Hermann today. He apparently doesn't do repairs in the usual sense; he only does complete rebuilds of decks, for which he said the usual charge would be "around $750 - $800" with a nine-month waiting period.

This deck was completely overhauled by Nakamichi about 10 or 15 years ago, and I think that its problems are relatively limited in nature. Plus I am using it for playback only. So I think I will check out the other two shops that were mentioned.

--best regards

Well, Mr Satz, that is crappy news.  I have been using Willy for over 10 years but he has been retired the whole time I have known him.  He has become way more popular than he could have ever imagined.   

FYI, the first and only time I spoke with Jeff at ESL he wanted my CC number and carte blanche just to send him a deck, including pre-authorization to do a head re-lap if he saw fit.  These guys are incredible at what they do and if they put their name on something they are gonna do it right, and charge us for it!

You may find someone that can do a light clean up (clean, belts, lights, re-cap, etc), or walk you through your own on the Nak-talk list.  It will likely require an oscilloscope.  Good luck!

http://lists.naks.com/mailman/listinfo/naktalk
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 09:54:19 PM »
My DR-1 is folding tape - I am pretty sure the belts are shot - would that alone cause this?  I have been seeing costs of at least $500 to perform service on Nak's and this is well beyond what I can afford.

I have repaired a number of DAT decks myself so I can get pretty hands on - how hard is it to repair a Nak deck such as the DR-1?
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 11:49:51 PM »
My DR-1 is folding tape - I am pretty sure the belts are shot - would that alone cause this?  I have been seeing costs of at least $500 to perform service on Nak's and this is well beyond what I can afford.

I have repaired a number of DAT decks myself so I can get pretty hands on - how hard is it to repair a Nak deck such as the DR-1?

That sounds like an alignment issue to me.  I had a Dragon due that.

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 04:55:48 PM »

As previously mentioned, alignment could cause that, as well as pinch rollers.  Belts will usually cause speed issues, and slip causing other things like shutting off or not being able to engage play, etc.

On another note, I was just given a CR-2A, which seems to work beautifully and was searching for a shelf in my storage bin for my wall unit to include it in the system, only to find that my DR-8 is reasonably accessible.  I still need to have the CR-7A repaired, because that is the only deck I'll playback my masters to transfer, but now I have others to use too  :yahoo:
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Simple & Sweet!

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 05:57:49 PM »

I cleverly waited 30 years to start worrying about digitizing my (hundreds of ) cassette masters until a couple of years ago. I discovered my D10 Pro's transport was dead and my Sony home died shortly thereafter. I'm telling you this because it lead me on a search for a decent deck and I was amazed at how hard it was to find good decks, especially without paying a fortune. I talked to ESL (I think it was ESL) and CR7a's were like $1750+ (Dragons were like $3500). I'm not surprised at all that these guys are charging a lot for service or that they have such long wait times. I finally found a a DR-1 for a somewhat reasonable cost.

There is a group on FB - with a lot of people obsessed with Cassette Decks -  and it's a great resource for help repairing decks...
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 06:47:54 PM »

I cleverly waited 30 years to start worrying about digitizing my (hundreds of ) cassette masters until a couple of years ago. I discovered my D10 Pro's transport was dead and my Sony home died shortly thereafter. I'm telling you this because it lead me on a search for a decent deck and I was amazed at how hard it was to find good decks, especially without paying a fortune. I talked to ESL (I think it was ESL) and CR7a's were like $1750+ (Dragons were like $3500). I'm not surprised at all that these guys are charging a lot for service or that they have such long wait times. I finally found a a DR-1 for a somewhat reasonable cost.

There is a group on FB - with a lot of people obsessed with Cassette Decks -  and it's a great resource for help repairing decks...

I'll look into the facebook group, it's always good to have more recourses.  I have other cassette decks too, but the Naks are by far the better ones.  After all, they made the best decks ever!  I think I have 2 TEAC's (which are pretty good) and a Sony (which is basically commercial crap).  My 2 D5's still play, but (and this is the messed up part) one won't fast forward and the other won't rewind.  I also have a D6 that works fine.  My M10 (DAT) also works well, but I have a Panasonic SV-3700 to play back DATs.  I need to have my Nak CR7A repaired, and the show that's stuck inside removed safely.  It's a Yes show that came out great (I put it in there to transfer, but it jammed and that's when the deck went down).
The CR-2A that I recently received was from a friend that's moving, and felt she doesn't need it anymore.  She brought it over for me to check out, so I cleaned it up and played a couple cassettes...now, it seems to be mine (yay!).
Simple & Sweet!

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 08:35:16 PM »

Folding tape. Is that proper terminology for munching and eating? My CR-5A is eating tape again. So tired of fixing this thing. I would consider putting it to rest, but an old friend has asked me to transfer 300+ tapes.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 08:45:43 AM by ts »

Offline jazzunit

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 08:52:34 PM »
You might want to look at this facility if you're on the east coast:

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 04:58:52 PM »

I looked into them a couple years ago.  If my memory serves me correctly, they were very expensive.  Very. Expensive.
Please, let me know if you have a different experience.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 05:14:43 PM »

I looked into them a couple years ago.  If my memory serves me correctly, they were very expensive.  Very. Expensive.
Please, let me know if you have a different experience.

As I had mentioned on page #1 of this thread Jeff (ESLabs) wanted carte blanche and a CC# to do as he pleased which included the cost of re-lapping the heads if he felt it was warranted.  These guys don't hold back for a reason.  They put their name behind their work.

On a more recent note I reached out to him to buy a couple of idlers tires to include when I sold my Will-tuned CR-5A to rocksuitcase and he never returned my emails or phone calls.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 05:57:00 PM »
I wrote to "eslabs" about repairing my Dragon, and was told in reply, "We do service all Dragons if the serial number is over 8000."

So my story continues to develop at the expected rate of 1-7/8 ips ...

--best regards

Offline H₂O

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 05:57:29 PM »
Thanks for the input - my folding issue occurred after the deck was in close proximity to an oil furnace - on two of my DAT decks I had to replace pinch rollers in the same cabinet after I moved all of this gear out of that cabinet

The Nak rollers looked ok but probably could be replaced
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 03:19:38 AM »
there is a FB group for Nakamichi stuff, try your luck there. You can also send me a PM. One of the last professional Nakamichi goeroes in The Netherlands is a personal friend, I can ask him. He is maintaining my Dragon and CR-7 aswell.

If you just want the tapes transferred, I can help you out. I am working on the idea of offering a transfer service for ts.com members. Current recorder is a Tascam da-3000.

I know from my friend the Dragon is a very complicated unit. With special equipment you can check if the tapeheads are still ok. If not, you are screwed, as there are no longer replacements. For that reason the CR7 is a better investment, this unit has regular heads.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 02:18:58 PM by Popmarter »
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 02:24:53 PM »
Add to the previous post, I checked with my contact.

Naks ZX7 or 9 he also recommends for transfers (next to CR7). He, like Willy Herman, prefers to do a total overhaul of these machine. Reason is they are old and lot of things go wrong in the end. Overhaul means things like replacing capcitors and adjusting headplacement (which can only be done with rare gauges.) Yes, lot of money but worth it if you ask me.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 11:55:54 AM »
Latest update: I've had a couple of leisurely email exchanges with Jeff Galin at Electronic Service Labs in Connecticut. Apparently there were three or more "generations" of Dragon transports, and going strictly by its serial number, my deck isn't one of the more recent versions that they typically work on (or perhaps, that they can work on at all--I don't know).

However, my deck was repaired rather extensively by Nakamichi back when they still serviced such things. Did they update the transport in the process? I can't determine that on my own; the diagnostic question that Jeff asked was, "Can you measure the diameter of the right capstan, accurately? It's between 2.4 & 2.8 mm." Unfortunately I can't do that.

So (since I live in NYC) I mused about getting onto a train and bringing the deck to him to look at. His reply was, "If you want to come, please make an appointment." But also: "Although a Dragon overhaul could cost $2475 to $2975, this is assuming that it has at least a 2nd generation transport."

That's a rather dismal state of affairs in my opinion. Not entirely surprising, but certainly not what I was hoping to hear.

P.S.: I just wrote to "Pro Digital Inc." ... just three hours away via Amtrak ...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:08:02 PM by DSatz »

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2018, 12:10:09 PM »
Had a 670z and lx3 still miss them. Sold them and got rid of 3000 hours of GD on cassette to move to DAT.  :facepalm:
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2018, 12:42:38 PM »
These prices are so crazy. I bought my CR-2A sometime in the early 00's off Craigslist for $35. No one wanted them then.

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2018, 12:49:04 PM »
These prices are so crazy. I bought my CR-2A sometime in the early 00's off Craigslist for $35. No one wanted them then.

It may be that the CR-2A is not that sought after.  It is not a three head deck.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2018, 01:07:21 PM »

I gave my very used and attention needing CR5a to Kris (larrysellers) last year for free since I couldn't repair it myself and locally no one would even look at it. He said that Nicky should be able to give it some attention so I sent it on out to him.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2018, 02:27:33 PM »

It may be that the CR-2A is not that sought after.  It is not a three head deck.

Ah, gotcha.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2018, 03:38:41 PM »

That may be the case but as happens in the world of reselling sometimes a great product goes unnoticed perhaps because the printed specs do not tell the whole story. I have the CR-2A (2 head) and the CR-3A (3 head). They both sound and work great. The 3A though with auto stop is a little temperamental with stopping occasionally on an old cassette, and most of my cassettes are old or older but the 2A is just a workhorse that never seems to wear down or have issues. True it does not have all the fine tuning, but it does the job.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 04:18:36 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2018, 01:35:42 PM »

P.S.: I just wrote to "Pro Digital Inc." ... just three hours away via Amtrak ...

I had mentioned Pro Digital earlier in this thread.  I am planning to bring my CR-7A to them when I have a couple hundred bucks to spare.  Please keep us (me) informed how things go with them.  I've used them in the past for other things, and have been very happy with their work, and they were fair with their prices.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2018, 04:21:59 AM »
nak700s, will do.

dallman, the preference for three-head decks isn't only because they allow "live" monitoring while recording. The optimal gap width for a record head and for a playback head are different; any two-head deck is a compromise from the start. Separate record and playback heads can each to be optimized for best frequency response (especially at low frequencies) and dynamic range (especially at high frequencies).

Furthermore, the procedure for adjusting any tape deck for recording on a specific type of tape is FAR more efficient and straightforward if the deck allows monitoring while recording. It's an almost unbelievable PITA to adjust the record bias on a two-head deck; you have to estimate, record test tones, rewind, play them back and measure them, then repeat the process until the adjustments converge on the result that you want. With a three-head deck you simply monitor the output while adjusting the bias "in real time"--allowing a slight delay for the time it takes the tape to travel from the record head to the playback head.

--best regards
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:13:12 PM by DSatz »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »
nak700s, will do.

dallman, the preference for three-head decks isn't only because they allow "live" monitoring while recording. The optimum gap width for a record head and for a playback head are different; any two-head deck is a compromise from the start. Separate record and playback heads can each to be optimized for best frequency response (especially at low frequencies) and dynamic range (especially at high frequencies).

Furthermore, the procedure for adjusting any tape deck for recording on a specific type of tape is FAR more efficient and straightforward if the deck allows monitoring while recording. It's an almost unbelievable PITA to adjust the record bias on a two-head deck; you have to estimate, record test tones, rewind, play them back and measure them, then repeat the process until the adjustments converge on the result that you want. With a three-head deck you simply monitor the output while adjusting the bias "in real time"--allowing a slight delay for the time it takes the tape to travel from the record head to the playback head.

--best regards
All of which brings me back to the days I was making cassette after cassette. It was rewarding work though...
 ;D

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »
I love It when a plan comes together, or in this case, falls into my lap.  Yesterday I saw an add on facebook in a group I'm in regarding stereo repair, which specifically mentioned cassette recorder repair.  I commented asking about their experience with Nakamichi decks, to which I got a reply saying they have repaired 100's of them.  I still need to speak to them, but did mention the CR-7A that I have, with a brief description of the problem.  They seem legit so far, but I'll feel them out before dealing with them.  They are located in Huntington, NY (Long Island).  I will report back here either way...  Let's hope it's a good, reliable and fair priced outlet for us. 
Simple & Sweet!

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »
My CR-7A is in for repair now.  Once completed, I'll check everything out and report back.  The guy that does the repairs gave me a good feeling...and seems to know his shit.  He also has a lot of nice equipment in his shop, so he must be trusted by others as well.  My quote was just under $200, which is certainly worth it if he does a good job.  I'll let ya'll know when I do.  Hopefully, we will all have a good place to go to on the east coast.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2018, 01:21:21 AM »
Thank you--I will watch for your follow-up posting, and I certainly hope that your repair goes well.

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2018, 01:05:53 PM »
Thank you--I will watch for your follow-up posting, and I certainly hope that your repair goes well.

You and me both!!  I should be picking it up tomorrow (it's ready, but I don't want it sitting in my car all day while I'm at work, so I'm waiting till the weekend).
Simple & Sweet!

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2018, 12:52:53 PM »
Charlie Miller has been using my CR-7A for over a year and it sounds like he has a guy there in the San Diego area that does repairs on Naks. 

When he first had issues with the CR-7A we did a trip up to Willy but now before returning it he is taking it to his local guy to have it cleaned and aligned first.  I can ask him who it is if anyone is in Southern California.

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2018, 04:08:47 PM »
OK folks, the moment you (and I) have been waiting for...

Success!  My CR-7A was repaired to my satisfaction, including keeping it completely scar free (yes, I'm neurotic about my equipment being scratch free).  I checked it out in his shop, and all functions were working as they should be.  Additionally, he was able to get the cassette that was stuck inside out without any damage to it or the machine (I really didn't think that would be a problem, but thought I'd mention it anyway).  In fact, he checked out the music, correctly identifying it as a Yes concert...telling me how great the recording sounded.  Of course I had to mention that to you guys...because when I said thank you, he looked at me funny, so I told him I recorded it.  He was floored, commenting that he thought I recorded it off the radio.  He was blown away, asking me what I used and how I did it.  Fun times!

Anyway, the moral of the story is, he's nice, fair and did a good job in a timely fashion.  His name is Juan.  He is familiar with Herman, and can't understand why he has such a long wait time to repair the decks.  I will use him again for other things that I need repaired, and recommend him for those who live in the northeast, or doesn't mind shipping.  Please mention my name (Joel), I'd like him to know that I recommended you if you choose to use him.  Additionally, and very notable, he apparently buys used units, brings them up to spec, and sells them.  He has a beautiful Nak deck that he showed me that he will be working on when he finishes up with his work load, and then selling.  I asked him to let me know when it's repaired so I can tell others (you guys).  He also works on reel to reels, amps, pre amps, instrument amplifiers, etc.

As a point of interest: He charges a $20 fee to look at the item, and will apply that fee to the repair should you decide to have him repair it after he gives you the estimate.  Mine cost me under $200, so I'm a happy camper.

His info is:

Stereo Repair World
2050 New York Ave.
Huntington Station, NY 11746

(631) 697-5850

PS: When I was there bringing in the deck, he had an old acoustic guitar he just happened to have...not a common thing for him.  I was looking for a beater, and ended up buying it.  Cheap!  Well, after cleaning it up and doing a few adjustments, I have a great acoustic that I can turn around for between $300 - $350 if I wanted to.  OK, I won't beat on it, because it's in amazing shape and sounds great, but I paid $30 for it...so he clearly isn't looking things up and trying to gouge his customers.  Like I said, he's a nice, fair guy.  :cheers:

Simple & Sweet!

Offline H₂O

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »
How much as the final bill for the deck repair - and what did he repair (only cleaning and alignment)?

LMA Recordings

List

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2018, 06:32:30 PM »
How much as the final bill for the deck repair - and what did he repair (only cleaning and alignment)?

It came to $195.00.  I'm still at work and the bill's at home, but it was cleaned/demagnetized/conditioned thoroughly and something about capacitors or some such electronically controlling things needed to be replaced.  I think he replaced the belt too. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:34:43 PM by nak700s »
Simple & Sweet!

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2018, 06:59:53 PM »
thanks for the heads up. been watching this thread.

we have a few that need looking at

oh any idea if he works on DAT players ?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:01:28 PM by kindms »
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2018, 07:05:58 PM »
thanks for the heads up. been watching this thread.

we have a few that need looking at

oh any idea if he works on DAT players ?

I'm happy with the results, and in my opinion, the CR-7A speaks for itself.  If he could take good care of that, he can probably take good care of most things.  Please tell him that Joel sent you :-)
Simple & Sweet!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2018, 08:25:10 PM »
Will do. The shop appears to be open 10-5 Tuesday through Saturday, and it's not far from the Huntington train station on the LIRR. I'll get the injured Dragon out of my storage room and give the gentleman a call soon.

Many thanks!

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2018, 12:50:20 PM »
Will do. The shop appears to be open 10-5 Tuesday through Saturday, and it's not far from the Huntington train station on the LIRR. I'll get the injured Dragon out of my storage room and give the gentleman a call soon.

Many thanks!

Saturday they are opened from 10 - 1.
Before digging out the Dragon, call first!  That is the one deck that parts are largely unavailable for.  If you can give him an idea of what's wrong with it, I'd think he could at least give you a better idea if he could repair it.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2018, 03:34:43 PM »
Now, I think that the ZX-7 that Willy tuned up for me in 2009 needs some TLC.  All the lights etc work fine but I just went to play some old bluegrass cassettes to digitize and I notice that the meters on the deck are showing low left and high right.  That is also what is output on the back of the deck but the headphones sounded balanced. 

For giggles, I hooked up the headphone output to my digital recorder and can confirm it is much different than what I see on the meters or hear coming out of the rear output.

Ugh.  Email sent to Willy to see if he'll give me some love for being a long time customer.  I hope the CR-7A makes its way home soon.

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2018, 04:01:26 PM »

If you can pick up a Nak DR-10, that would be a better one to use than the DR-1.  I mistakenly bought a DR-8 when they came out because I wanted to save a few bucks.  Furthermore, the repair place that I went to has a Nak deck there that he bought to repair and sell.  If you still have old cassette masters to transfer, I would recommend buying it.  At this stage of the game, we need the azimuth control, which most decks lack.  That one has it.  I posted all his info above, and if you live in the Long Island area, you may want to consider checking it out.

...Tell him that Joel recommended that you go to him.  I'm doing my best to set it up that he takes care of me and my peeps with our repairs, by explaining that we all have high end stereo needs as well as a lot of potential business if he's fair with us.  I felt he was fair with me, and I will be bringing him more of my equipment shortly.  Let's all build a good relationship with a local guy who does good work!
Simple & Sweet!

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2018, 05:11:49 PM »
If anyone likes a few mastertapes transferred, get in touch. I have a hungry Nakamichi CR-7 connected to a Tascam DA-3000. Located in The Netherlands.

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2018, 01:56:51 PM »
I just had e-mail correspondence with Willie Hermann last week about repairing my Nak 680ZX. He is on about a 9 month waiting list, mentioned he would want to do a full service which would run $500 - $600. Seems expensive, but this deck is going for up to $1500 on ebay so I'm on his waiting list for repair. Need to get my analog masters transferred.

I communicated with Willy and can confirm the purported 9-month wait list but the good news is that he does not make previous customers wait through that list.  He has fixed a ZX-7, CR-5A, and a CR-7A for me in the past.

I'll hand carry him my ZX-7 next week.  He is worth the high price as that same ZX-7 played like a diamond for over 9 years since he last serviced it.  I pounded 100's and 100's of old dusty bluegrass tapes through that thing.

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2018, 10:26:18 AM »
If anyone likes a few mastertapes transferred, get in touch. I have a hungry Nakamichi CR-7 connected to a Tascam DA-3000. Located in The Netherlands.

Thank you for the great tapetransfers!
A few of the concerts now up on Dime!
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2018, 02:05:11 PM »

I communicated with Willy and can confirm the purported 9-month wait list but the good news is that he does not make previous customers wait through that list.  He has fixed a ZX-7, CR-5A, and a CR-7A for me in the past.

I'll hand carry him my ZX-7 next week.  He is worth the high price as that same ZX-7 played like a diamond for over 9 years since he last serviced it.  I pounded 100's and 100's of old dusty bluegrass tapes through that thing.

I have no doubt, based on reputation, that Willie Hermann does a wonderful job on Nak decks, but to be placed on a 9 month waiting list is insane.  When I need something fixed, I need it in a reasonable amount of time, and that 9 months is only the amount of time it'll take him to look at it, much less repair it.  As mentioned above, I found a guy that knows Nak decks and I brought him my CR-7A, which he fixed for me without issue, and was ready for pick-up in 1 week after dropping it off to him.  He is located on Long Island, so that may not be as convenient, depending on where you're located, but if you're shipping it, then it won't make much of a difference.  Below is his name, address & phone number.  Please tell him Joel sent you, as I am developing a relationship with him to take care of all of us with our Nakamichi repair needs, and he seems to be kind on the cost.

Juan
Stereo Repair World
2050 New York Ave.
(631) 697-5850
Simple & Sweet!

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2018, 11:53:17 AM »

I have no doubt, based on reputation, that Willie Hermann does a wonderful job on Nak decks, but to be placed on a 9 month waiting list is insane.  When I need something fixed, I need it in a reasonable amount of time, and that 9 months is only the amount of time it'll take him to look at it, much less repair it.  As mentioned above, I found a guy that knows Nak decks and I brought him my CR-7A, which he fixed for me without issue, and was ready for pick-up in 1 week after dropping it off to him.  He is located on Long Island, so that may not be as convenient, depending on where you're located, but if you're shipping it, then it won't make much of a difference.  Below is his name, address & phone number.  Please tell him Joel sent you, as I am developing a relationship with him to take care of all of us with our Nakamichi repair needs, and he seems to be kind on the cost.

Juan
Stereo Repair World
2050 New York Ave.
(631) 697-5850

I get it.  I was just starting on a big project when I noticed mine going bad.

I called Paradyme (local shop) and they have a 6-week lead time.  Willy said he would slide me ahead in his queue and I know he will have in done quickly.  I don't ship decks if I can avoid it and WHS is a 90-minute drive.  The ZX-7 is in his shop as of yesterday afternoon. 

I'm glad that folks in the New York area have a solid option with Juan at Stereo World.  People can also use Classic Audio Repair in San Diego which is the place Charlie carries Naks too. 

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2018, 02:46:06 AM »

Thank you for the great tapetransfers!
A few of the concerts now up on Dime!

Great Danne! Pleasure to do this for you!

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »

Juan
Stereo Repair World
2050 New York Ave.
(631) 697-5850

I get it.  I was just starting on a big project when I noticed mine going bad.

I called Paradyme (local shop) and they have a 6-week lead time.  Willy said he would slide me ahead in his queue and I know he will have in done quickly.  I don't ship decks if I can avoid it and WHS is a 90-minute drive.  The ZX-7 is in his shop as of yesterday afternoon. 

I'm glad that folks in the New York area have a solid option with Juan at Stereo World.  People can also use Classic Audio Repair in San Diego which is the place Charlie carries Naks too.

I didn't know where you were located.  Certainly, if you live on the west coast, you should find a place there.  New Yorkers, such as myself, have been looking for a place, since so many have closed or don't repair our high end cassette decks anymore.  I think with the resurgence of cassettes, more will pop up, but whether they can and will work on Nakamichi's is another story.  I was grateful to find someone familiar with them and happy to do it at a fair price.
On a side note, Juan told me that manufactures are starting to produce blank cassettes again.  I'll pass on those, and still want to sell my unopened metal and chrome tapes that I found among my recorded shows.  I hear they're selling for good money now...go figure!
Simple & Sweet!

Offline neumannu47

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2018, 10:06:22 PM »
I'm going to give Juan a call. I bought a fully restored Dragon from one of the gurus mentioned in this thread, and the rewind is not working as it should. Otherwise, the Dragon is in new condition.

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2018, 12:38:34 PM »
I'm going to give Juan a call. I bought a fully restored Dragon from one of the gurus mentioned in this thread, and the rewind is not working as it should. Otherwise, the Dragon is in new condition.

Cool...please tell him that Joel sent ya.  I'm cultivating a relationship where us tapers can hit him up in volume, and he'll take good care of us in return.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2018, 01:02:00 PM »

Any recommendations on where to source Nak replacement parts? I bought two MR2 cassette decks for $5 each yesterday that are brand new. No fingerprints, never been racked, no wear at all on the heads but they wouldn't power on.

I cracked them and they both have the same problem - the power switch is cracked off inside. The plastic housing that holds the actual contacts is busted so looks like all I need is the switch maybe the mounting plate if that is permanently attached. Can't really tell until I get the faceplate off and really dig in there - I just took off the bottom plate.

Guess someone yanked on the power cords moving them around the basement for 35 years...
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2018, 03:50:18 PM »

Any recommendations on where to source Nak replacement parts? I bought two MR2 cassette decks for $5 each yesterday that are brand new. No fingerprints, never been racked, no wear at all on the heads but they wouldn't power on.

I cracked them and they both have the same problem - the power switch is cracked off inside. The plastic housing that holds the actual contacts is busted so looks like all I need is the switch maybe the mounting plate if that is permanently attached. Can't really tell until I get the faceplate off and really dig in there - I just took off the bottom plate.

Guess someone yanked on the power cords moving them around the basement for 35 years...

Give Juan a call.  Never know, and even if you have to pay for service for him to do the work, he'll check the pulleys, etc and make sure you're good to go...and at that price, you'll still be way ahead of the game.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline satchmo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2018, 10:41:21 PM »
remembered this link that may help
http://www.eslabs.com/nakamichi.htm
looks like they're still in business
mics: Schoeps MK4/Sennheiser ME-40
pres: Grace V2/Aerco MP2
a/d: Apogee Mini-me
recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6/Tascam HD-P2/Edirol R09-HR/Sony M1
cables: van den Hul/Schoeps KC

Offline ts

« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2019, 05:24:52 PM »
So for us east coasters we have:

Prodigital
ES Labs
Juan on Long Island

Looks like ES is very expensive. Plus I think I used them years ago and had to send my 5A back like 3 times. Unless there was another repair service in CT.

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2019, 07:22:05 PM »

Prodigital
ES Labs
Juan on Long Island

Looks like ES is very expensive. Plus I think I used them years ago and had to send my 5A back like 3 times. Unless there was another repair service in CT.

i know rsc dropped 5 nak decks off at Juans. all with various issues a few weeks back
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »

Prodigital
ES Labs
Juan on Long Island

i know rsc dropped 5 nak decks off at Juans. all with various issues a few weeks back

So far, so good for my CR-7A from Juan.  It wasn't expensive and works well now.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2019, 01:52:41 AM »

Prodigital
ES Labs
Juan on Long Island

Please define expensive

So far, so good for my CR-7A from Juan.  It wasn't expensive and works well now.

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2019, 08:54:35 AM »

Prodigital
ES Labs
Juan on Long Island

Please define expensive

There was a $20 fee to look at and assess it which was applied to the work.  The total job cost me under $200.
Mine had a cassette stuck in it when it decided to stop functioning.  Nothing worked.  Lights would just blink, but nothing else.  Juan fixed it and replaced rubber that should be replaced when opening up a machine that's never had work done on it.  He saved my cassette (a Yes show). I'm happy with the results, and will be bringing him my CD player very soon.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2019, 01:32:23 PM »

Prodigital
ES Labs
Juan on Long Island

Juan just called me with diagnoses. Of the five decks, three of them (2 CR5A's and one LX5) are only needing "normal" maintenance and will cost $150/each. (new idler wheels, belts, lubrication, cleaning)
One LX5 has an odd tape counter sensor issue (causing it to NOT playback), but he has a replacement sensor. $180 for that deck
The MR2 is still going to be $150 BUT has an odd issue in that the pitch control is broken and stuck at a low speed. He has to remove that sensor and "hard-wire" it so it only runs at one standard pitch. I agreed to that although this is actually a friends deck and he needs to final approve.
Overall, without getting them back and using them, the pricing and timeing of the experience so far is great. (dropped them SAT 3-23; all 5 diagnosed by 4-10)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 02:42:27 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »

Prodigital
ES Labs
Juan on Long Island

Juan just called me with diagnoses. Of the five decks, three of them (2 CR5A's and one LX5) are only needing "normal" maintenance and will cost $150/each. (new idler wheels, belts, cleaning)
One LX5 has an odd tape counter sensor issue (causing it to NOT playback), but he has a replacement sensor. $180 for that deck
The MR2 is still going to be $150 BUT has an odd issue in that the pitch control is broken and stuck at a low speed. He has to remove that sensor and "hard-wire" it so it only runs at one standard pitch. I agreed to that although this is actually a friends deck and he needs to final approve.
Overall, without getting them back and using them, the pricing and timeing of the experience so far is great. (dropped them SAT 3-23; all 5 diagnosed by 4-10)

Yay!  Glad it's working out well for you.  I'll be dropping off my CD player soon (Denon DCD 3300), and hoping it's nothing major.  When will you be back in the area to pick them up?  Maybe we can get together for a beer or some live music, depending on the day and time.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »

Prodigital
ES Labs
Juan on Long Island

Juan just called me with diagnoses. Of the five decks, three of them (2 CR5A's and one LX5) are only needing "normal" maintenance and will cost $150/each. (new idler wheels, belts, cleaning)

Yay!  Glad it's working out well for you.  I'll be dropping off my CD player soon (Denon DCD 3300), and hoping it's nothing major.  When will you be back in the area to pick them up?  Maybe we can get together for a beer or some live music, depending on the day and time.
Yes, and THANKS for the recommendation! Juan is super straightforward and can repair tube amps, oscillators and most electronics- old skool! We need to ask him if he can repair DAT decks.  8)
We shall keep in touch. either I will come down for a show or just to pickup the decks, OR kindms may grab the decks on my behalf depending. PM me/us and tell us how far away from Huntington Station you are?
music IS love

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2019, 11:52:05 AM »
i went with rocksuitcase to pick up 4 of 5 decks. still waiting on a hard to source part for 1 of the lx5s

but decks fired right up etc. im sure rocksuitcase will have a better follow up

he does not work on DAT machines

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2019, 11:22:45 AM »
I have been needing to update this thread. Juan at Stereo repair world, first mentioned by Nak700's in this thread, IS very thorough and reliable, he claims to be repairing Nakamichi's and other high end cassette and reel to reels since the late 1970's. The only "con" is that he is not able to do any shipping or receive any decks other than in person. He told me he tried it with a few cassette decks and things would be not as he sent them once they were received.
So far Juan has repaired four decks I brought him. a CR5A which is mine, an LX-5 which belongs to kindms, an LX-5 which has been on permanent loan to me from Tim-roaulduke-, and an MR2 which belongs to my Denver former taping buddy (former as in no longer in the game).
He did several repairs of either parts or sensors which required more than general maintenance. On the MR2, it had a pitch control circuit which was stuck at a certain non 100% pitch, he took it out of the circuitry, maintained the rest of the pinch rollers, sealed lubricant parts and such and the deck is running great. each deck has had at least 20 tapes run through them since getting them back and are all four working as expected.
Of note- there is still one CR5-A which he cannot get to stop doing this odd behaviour of stopping then starting randomly but continuing the signal output so the stops and starts could be heard on the transfer. He claims to have tried several things and is waiting on part. I find this is not his fault after all, 40 year old legacy gear and he is not charging me for this analysis since I paid him for a maintenance on it.

If on East coast, especially New York, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut I would say the trip is worth it to repair these fine old machines. WOULD recommend to a friend! 

http://www.stereorepairworld.com/                         (631) 697 5850    Juan
music IS love

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2020, 01:13:47 PM »
I have been needing to update this thread. Juan at Stereo repair world, first mentioned by Nak700's in this thread, IS very thorough and reliable, he claims to be repairing Nakamichi's and other high end cassette and reel to reels since the late 1970's. The only "con" is that he is not able to do any shipping or receive any decks other than in person. He told me he tried it with a few cassette decks and things would be not as he sent them once they were received.
So far Juan has repaired four decks I brought him. a CR5A which is mine, an LX-5 which belongs to kindms, an LX-5 which has been on permanent loan to me from Tim-roaulduke-, and an MR2 which belongs to my Denver former taping buddy (former as in no longer in the game).
He did several repairs of either parts or sensors which required more than general maintenance. On the MR2, it had a pitch control circuit which was stuck at a certain non 100% pitch, he took it out of the circuitry, maintained the rest of the pinch rollers, sealed lubricant parts and such and the deck is running great. each deck has had at least 20 tapes run through them since getting them back and are all four working as expected.
Of note- there is still one CR5-A which he cannot get to stop doing this odd behaviour of stopping then starting randomly but continuing the signal output so the stops and starts could be heard on the transfer. He claims to have tried several things and is waiting on part. I find this is not his fault after all, 40 year old legacy gear and he is not charging me for this analysis since I paid him for a maintenance on it.

If on East coast, especially New York, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut I would say the trip is worth it to repair these fine old machines. WOULD recommend to a friend! 

http://www.stereorepairworld.com/                         (631) 697 5850    Juan

I'm so glad he's been working out well for you, and hope anyone else who may have taken my recommendation also has the same experience.  As soon as I get a few more bucks together, I'll be bringing him my NAK RX-505 (doesn't flip the cassette) and a Denon DCD-3300.  The Nak CR-7A he repaired for me has been great since getting it back.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2020, 01:14:36 PM »
i went with rocksuitcase to pick up 4 of 5 decks. still waiting on a hard to source part for 1 of the lx5s

but decks fired right up etc. im sure rocksuitcase will have a better follow up

he does not work on DAT machines

Try Pro Digital for DAT repairs. 
Simple & Sweet!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2020, 12:17:54 AM »
I just sent email to Juan to see whether he's open for business under present conditions. By now all three of my Nakamichi decks are on the disabled list, and my Sony TCD-5M is putting out crackles along with the audio. So my onslaught of cassette transfers has ground to a sad halt and I feel without purpose, which is dangerous for me.

The simplest of the Nakamichi decks (the 480 that I listed very briefly in the Yard Sale a few days ago) and the Sony are now at a conventional repair shop in lower Manhattan. I think the odds are in their favor, but I'd definitely like to bring the Dragon and the 682 ZX to someone who particularly knows their way around those models.

--By the way, I spent a couple of hours just hanging out at the lower Manhattan shop. I'd forgotten how much bullshit gets slung in places like that, and how vulnerable the customers are.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 12:31:23 AM by DSatz »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2020, 02:50:46 AM »
the guy in chicago that rebuilds decks and sells them on ebay sometimes is as solid as i’ve found. i’ll dig up contact info when i get home from vacation
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2020, 01:45:09 PM »
I got a brief "How can I help you?" text back from Juan just now, and am waiting/hoping to arrange to bring my two best decks to him ASAP.

[edited later to add: We're on for tomorrow.]

[edited even later to add: Tomorrow arrived as it so often does, and I brought him the 682 ZX. He seems like a straightforward human, which is rare as hen's teeth in this business. Also, he understood the main problem that the deck has, literally finishing my sentence for me as I began to describe the symptom; we're like an old married couple already.]

[edited soon after the above even-later edit, to add: It's difficult, perhaps impossible, to reach him by phone. He hates the phone; I understand that so well. But if you send him a text message, apparently he will eventually reply, possibly with longish gaps between messages. Also, keeping it brief seems to work best with him.]

--Pro Digital's Web site currently says that they're closed due to the pandemic. I didn't try to contact them via phone or email, though.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:41:56 PM by DSatz »

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2020, 01:58:52 PM »
I got a brief "How can I help you?" text back from Juan just now, and am waiting/hoping to arrange to bring my two best decks to him ASAP.

--Pro Digital's Web site currently says that they're closed due to the pandemic. I didn't try to contact them via phone or email, though.
Pre pandemic he had a no mailing policy, but it seems you are NYC centric, so a drive to Huntington may not be too tough. His shop is small but loaded with all sorts of great stuff as he is a musician and his rent money is repairing tube amps etc.
music IS love

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2020, 06:42:07 PM »
heres the contact of the guy ive used in chicago, was a trained nak tech

https://www.ebay.com/sch/babis8086/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Charalampos Armakolas (goes by Bobby)
1960 N Lincoln Park W, Apt 2110
Chicago, IL 60614-5445
chearm@otenet.gr

I met him when i bought a rebuilt nak 480 from him earlier this year on ebay, he also sold me some parts for another deck i have. I'm happy with his work i'll probably be sending him my old MR2

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2020, 09:51:02 PM »
heres the contact of the guy ive used in chicago, was a trained nak tech

https://www.ebay.com/sch/babis8086/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Charalampos Armakolas (goes by Bobby)
1960 N Lincoln Park W, Apt 2110
Chicago, IL 60614-5445
chearm@otenet.gr

I met him when i bought a rebuilt nak 480 from him earlier this year on ebay, he also sold me some parts for another deck i have. I'm happy with his work i'll probably be sending him my old MR2

I just got my Nakamichi CR-3A back from Bobby, and the work was excellent. The deck is running and sounding like new. Highly recommended, and Bobby will gladly talk to you in depth. The cost was very reasonable and really I cannot say enough about how impressed I was.

The only bad news for anyone in a hurry is that Bobby will be visiting family in Greece for the next month.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2020, 01:31:48 AM »
To your good news, I'd like to add that my newly repaired 682 ZX seems to work well now.

This time while I was at the shop, I peered around the corner and saw what all Juan has waiting to be worked on--a very wide range of stuff from many different eras of the technology. As far as I know he works alone. It seems like a remarkable way of living and making a living.

As I picked up the 682 ZX I also dropped off the Dragon, and we'll see what he's able to do with that. He says that he's worked on many of them before.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2020, 11:25:45 PM »
To your good news, I'd like to add that my newly repaired 682 ZX seems to work well now.

This time while I was at the shop, I peered around the corner and saw what all Juan has waiting to be worked on--a very wide range of stuff from many different eras of the technology. As far as I know he works alone. It seems like a remarkable way of living and making a living.

As I picked up the 682 ZX I also dropped off the Dragon, and we'll see what he's able to do with that. He says that he's worked on many of them before.

My DR-1 is eating tapes (at this time won't even play a tape) - about how much did it cost to fix the 682 ZX which has a similar transport layout
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 11:28:28 PM by H₂O »
LMA Recordings

List

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2020, 09:54:59 AM »
if its just the transport, bobby in chicago would probably do it for maybe $200. just a guess

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2020, 10:17:48 PM »
Richard, Juan charged me $150 (i.e. $130 above the required $20 deposit), but I had brought it in with another complaint in addition to the transport issue, and perhaps some of the charge was for the time he spent trying to chase that down. (There was some low-level motor servo leakage in the output that never presented itself to him, nor to me since I've had the deck back.)

I don't drive, so I put the deck into a blue IKEA bag--one of the most beneficial inventions of the past several decades in my opinion--and took the LIRR from Penn Station to Huntington (= $24 round trip), then took a car service (= $18 round trip + tip) from the train station to the shop.

BTW, I have a couple of devices that create a WiFi hotspot from a cellular connection, and when one of them is within 18" or so of the deck, its interference is audible in the line outputs (not the headphone output, though). I always have to remember that older equipment was never designed or tested for use in the kind of RF environment that is second nature to us today in the cell phone era. "They don't make 'em like they used to" is a good thing sometimes!

--best regards

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2020, 08:54:37 PM »
Further follow-up: When I picked up my 682 ZX, I dropped off a Dragon that had been rebuilt by Nakamichi back when they still serviced their decks. It had broken down so much in recent years that it couldn't play tapes at all; they would skew and lose all contact with the heads within seconds. Juan estimated a higher fee ($250) for the far more complicated transport, and I found that completely reasonable. But after he'd made the initial repair, he noticed some irregularity in the tape speed. So he texted me that there would be a delay while he worked that issue out.

Late last week he texted me again to let me know that the issue was solved, and that he would let me know when this week I could come pick up the deck. I told him that under the circumstances, I didn't feel that he should be held to his earlier estimate. I didn't want him to lose money and time as a result of having noticed and fixed a problem that I'd been unaware of.

It takes me the better part of a day to get out to his place on Long Island and back. It's of great value to me to avoid issues that would show up only after I start using the deck here in the Anarchist Jurisdiction of New York City.

But he said that it hadn't actually taken him very long to fix the problem, and he declined to increase his fee. Meanwhile the 682 ZX is still working extremely well (I've used it a lot since I got it back from him), and I continue to have a very high opinion of this person and his work.

--best regards

Offline ts

« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2021, 11:01:46 AM »
I recently asked eslabs to service my Nak CD1, as in replace the belts, lubricants and idler tire, assuming it would run around $200 and he replied with that type of service would cost far more than $200 and the CD1 has no idler tire. He offered to sell me the belts (2 I think) for $50.

I wish this Juan guy was closer to me. He seems to be doing decks for around $200. I’m not shipping mine, so looking for a shop that’s easy to get to. Juan is not easy to get to for me. I’m going to try OHM Electronics in Ithaca. Recommended by Raymonda and an easy drive.

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2021, 09:30:18 AM »
It makes me happy that so many of you are having good experiences with Juan as I have with a few of my decks (and other equipment).  When I found him, I was ecstatic, but cautious...and he has earned my full confidence since then.  He's a stand up guy who seems very honest to me and charges fair prices for repair.  It does kind of suck that he no longer accepts equipment my mail, but he explained to me that there were to many damages with shipping, and since he can't be responsible for that, he doesn't want any part of it any longer.  My taping partner needed a deck repaired (DR-10) and shipped it to me, then I shipped it back.  We're both neurotic about packaging, so all arrived safely, and he is happy as can be with the results.  It needed extensive repairs, he got a fair price and a perfect working deck back.

Again, I'm glad his services are working out for so many, I was reluctant to recommend, but since I was happy with his work, and I'm a picky bastard, I took a chance...and now everyone has a good, fair, reliable, person to turn to  :)
Simple & Sweet!

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2021, 06:48:37 PM »
Audio Designs in Burbank, California specializes in vintage audio repair for speakers, turntables, cassette decks, DAT decks. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2021, 08:03:41 PM »
It makes me happy that so many of you are having good experiences with Juan as I have with a few of my decks (and other equipment).  When I found him, I was ecstatic, but cautious...and he has earned my full confidence since then.  He's a stand up guy who seems very honest to me and charges fair prices for repair.  It does kind of suck that he no longer accepts equipment my mail, but he explained to me that there were to many damages with shipping, and since he can't be responsible for that, he doesn't want any part of it any longer.  My taping partner needed a deck repaired (DR-10) and shipped it to me, then I shipped it back.  We're both neurotic about packaging, so all arrived safely, and he is happy as can be with the results.  It needed extensive repairs, he got a fair price and a perfect working deck back.

Again, I'm glad his services are working out for so many, I was reluctant to recommend, but since I was happy with his work, and I'm a picky bastard, I took a chance...and now everyone has a good, fair, reliable, person to turn to  :)

Juan Seems like a real nice guy. we've been down there a few times now. so thanks again for the recommendation

Theres a guy in CT near me who does AMPs etc that Ive been wanting to try. I had a few good conversations with him but he was super busy and asked me to check back but I have yet to do so.

https://ampexperts.com/index.htm

He seemed like a really interesting guy

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2021, 11:49:42 AM »
I recently asked eslabs to service my Nak CD1, as in replace the belts, lubricants and idler tire, assuming it would run around $200 and he replied with that type of service would cost far more than $200 and the CD1 has no idler tire. He offered to sell me the belts (2 I think) for $50.

I wish this Juan guy was closer to me. He seems to be doing decks for around $200. I’m not shipping mine, so looking for a shop that’s easy to get to. Juan is not easy to get to for me. I’m going to try OHM Electronics in Ithaca. Recommended by Raymonda and an easy drive.
These guys? Vestal NY. no affiliation or knowledge other than a recommendation from  a user on tapeheads.com
https://www.audioclassics.com/service
800-321-2834 or 607-766-3501 Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM EDT

music IS love

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2021, 12:47:51 PM »

These guys? Vestal NY. no affiliation or knowledge other than a recommendation from  a user on tapeheads.com
https://www.audioclassics.com/service
800-321-2834 or 607-766-3501 Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM EDT

I lived in Ithaca for 4 years and used Ohm before.  I didn't know Audi Classics did repairs but if you like old McIntosh gear I would very highly recommend making a field trip down to Vestal.  That place has that green McIntosh glow...

Offline psk31

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2022, 04:11:33 PM »
Resurrecting this old thread to keep the subject title current. I'm looking for a Nakamichi repair facility/individual here in Canada. Most of the guys still doing this work south of the border don't wish to take on international jobs. My RX-202 coming out of deep hibernation is in need of some TLC. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2022, 07:24:46 PM »
Resurrecting this old thread to keep the subject title current. I'm looking for a Nakamichi repair facility/individual here in Canada. Most of the guys still doing this work south of the border don't wish to take on international jobs. My RX-202 coming out of deep hibernation is in need of some TLC. Any thoughts, suggestions?

I'd subscribe to TapeOp or the NakTalk mailing list and pose your question there.  You may find someone in the Great White North willing to help.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2022, 10:37:33 AM »

I'd subscribe to TapeOp or the NakTalk mailing list and pose your question there.  You may find someone in the Great White North willing to help.
There is also tapeheads.net. although they require a certain amount of posts before you can buy or sell. There are some repair threads but I have yet to notice specifically a Canadian tech on that site.
Good luck.
BTW- Whereabouts in Canada, east, west ?
music IS love

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2022, 07:58:00 PM »

If there is a taper in the US you know you can ship to them and let them ship to the shop.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2022, 05:29:58 PM »
I am so excited to get the email that my Nak 680 has been restored and modified to all Nak update bulletins for it. Scott at Ohm was thorough.

He replaced the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. also replaced the electrolytic and film capacitors in the Azimuth Detector circuit. then replaced the electrolytic, film and ceramic capacitors in the PB Eq. Amp, the Record Amp, and the Bias Oscillator circuits. And other maintenance type stuff.

I have to drive 3 hours each direction to pick it up, and I drove it there in May, but it is worth the time. I still have 3-400 non GD cassette masters to take off.   :o
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 05:46:26 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

Offline KLM

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2023, 11:04:02 AM »
I am getting back into tape recording and recently took my trusty Nakamichi RX 505 out of storage.  I recorded a lot of tapes as well as my college radio show on this baby and it served me well. But as others have said, sitting unused is not good for the rollers, belts, etc. so I sent it in for an overhaul.  Everything seemed to be going well until my technician said the faders (both auto and manual) do not work.  He believes it is linked to a series of the following three integrated circuits:

OB11025A6E3
OB11040A6D2
OB11019A8F3

The ICs of course are no longer made and are very hard to find aside from sourcing a "for parts" RX 505.

I've reached out to some other repair shops with some saying its unlikely the ICs would go bad (it wasn't subjected to an electrical surge), it is probably something else or they can't help me.

I'm hoping someone has either had a similar issue that was repaired and can provide their thoughts, an alternative solution or has a source for these ICs.

Any help would be most appreciated to get my RX 505 back to fully working order..

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2023, 11:51:22 PM »
First off, the RX-505 is one of their most technically challenging decks for repair folks to work on as it is almost a Dragon, mechanically, due to the Auto-Reverse nature of it. I am not a electronics tech, but know some about these decks as I have been reading up on Nakamichi's and their repair issues on tapeheads.net for the past 6 years.

A] Are you sure this tech knows his stuff?
B] IC chips do get blown in NAK's and many are unobtanium, as tapeheads guys say. Donor and/or parts deck seems to be a thing for many RX-505 owners/repairs.
C] What part of the world/country do you live?

Advisement: join tapeheads.net. They are a "moderated signup" site, meaning the mod has to approve and you have to fill out a small form asking oddball tech sort of questions. (it is really just to stop bots from signing up)

There are VERY knowledgable Nak users and techs who can answer some of your specific questions about parts, and possible faulty diagnosis. About 4-6 of them are USA techs with active repairs going on. Typical waiting list is one year for most NAK techs. But they can help you figure out certain things and/or a repair vector just by asking you questions. (and they will ask!)

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sound-of-nak-dragon-vs-rx-505.586989/                       Just for light reading  8)

PS- unless it is completely in disrepair do not trade or sell it without doing some research. PARTS decks are going for $800-1000; working ones seem to fetch about $2k +/-$400
PSS- One reason the 505 is pricey is the transports can be transplanted into a Dragon if certain parts are gone on the Dragon. (but, the 505 did not have autorecord/playback azimuth- the NAAC assembly)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 12:44:40 AM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2023, 10:32:52 AM »
Is this not working for playback? I assume that the faders do not affect playback but what do I know? Are you using it to transfer recordings already done? Bob
Melanie and Bob

Offline KLM

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2023, 01:01:44 PM »
Thank you for the responses.  To answer a few of the questions, my RX 505 is being completely overhauled by a reputable shop (Music Technology) in the Virginia area (I live in Baltimore, MD) and will be able to play and record at the same if not better level when new. But unfortunately, and to my surprise, the fader does not work (either manual and auto-fade) and this also affects the continuous record feature (which is also not working).  To correct the issue, he replaced IC601 and IC602 as well as Q301 and the fade UP/DOWN switches tested good.  He has narrowed it down to a faulty integrated circuit for either part # OB11025A6E3, OB11040A6D2 or OB11019A8F3.

The fader not working will not take away from getting enjoyment from my recorded tapes and even making new ones but I was hoping to bring my NAK back to 100% functionality.

If anyone has a source for the series of integrated circuits or experience with this issue and has a different suggestion it would be most appreciated.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2023, 08:48:10 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He is one of the most frequent East coast Nak guys mentioned on Tapeheads. He is a sponsor on there as well.
I am extremely surprised he cannot locate those ic chips. But, if he tells you they are tough to locate aside from a parts deck, hmmmmmmmmm.
( I did a quick search and those parts are not coming up with the various Rx-505 rebuild kits.) **
Good Luck with the project. Music Technology is Top Notch.

**The RX-505 is a unique Nakamichi, I would only trust one to a person who owns Nakamichi gauges and test tapes. e.g, my LX-5 was brought to Juan at Stereo Repair world-no Nak test tapes. The 680ZX went to a tech who had them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 11:42:54 AM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2023, 11:08:56 AM »
Sometimes, googling repair shops in your area does the trick.  I found 2 places here in South Florida that can service my deck.  Both places service old skool consumer gear.

Willy H doesn't do repairs anymore and ES Labs is too expensive and they keep your deck for 6+ months. 

So, the place I went to had my deck ready in a week.  A tiny mom-n-pop shop in Lake Worth, FL.

My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 11:10:47 AM by spyder9 »

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2023, 11:48:13 AM »
I just ran into this guy's description in tapeheads.net: Leon(The Audiomayvin, Montreal(514)739-5403)                 He has incredible knowledge and is actively repairing Nak's in Montreal.
music IS love

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2023, 10:20:23 AM »
I just wanted to add another person out here in the Bay Area, if Willy Hermann is not an option: Paul Strickland runs a repair shop in Daly City. He goes by clamsterdamm over on Tapeheads.

I bought a ZX-7 from another Tapehead member in San Jose, and it worked fine for a bunch of cassette transfers. I lent it to the owner of those cassettes (long story), and he accidentally broke the door. I could still load a cassette by aligning it, but after a few more plays, I stopped getting audio.

Fortunately, I found Paul, and he took the deck in. He fixed the door, and the playback issue was caused by aging, deteriorating capacitors (Orange Cap Disease), so he replaced them. I also asked him to replace the unaffected ones. He replaced the belts, tuned it up, etc. I thought his price for parts and labor was pretty reasonable - $400.

Paul Strickland
408-507-4890
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline DMLiveWiki

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Depeche Mode Live Wiki
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2023, 09:01:20 PM »
I'd like to add a recommendation for Gerhard at The Vintage Audio near the Lakeland, FL area. He is phenomenal and did great work restoring my Nakamichi MR-1. I visited him several times and he is a wealth of knowledge and very personable. It was cool to see his shop and his repair methods. He even helped me out with digitization of a reel-to-reel tape a couple of years ago.
Archivist and curator of the Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Offline ts

« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2024, 11:06:58 AM »
I am so excited to get the email that my Nak 680 has been restored and modified to all Nak update bulletins for it. Scott at Ohm was thorough.

He replaced the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. also replaced the electrolytic and film capacitors in the Azimuth Detector circuit. then replaced the electrolytic, film and ceramic capacitors in the PB Eq. Amp, the Record Amp, and the Bias Oscillator circuits. And other maintenance type stuff.

I have to drive 3 hours each direction to pick it up, and I drove it there in May, but it is worth the time. I still have 3-400 non GD cassette masters to take off.   :o

I'm assuming this is the OHM in Ithaca. I called him last week and he's backed up for 2 months. I'm in no hurry as my deck is working right now, but gets touchy. Motor dead spots. I used to have a local guy (Scranton/Wilkes Barre area) work on my decks, but he won't touch Naks anymore. You would think Audio Classics in Binghamton would work on them, but they do not return my calls. Ithaca is only a 90 minute drive for me, so I'll wait for him I guess.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 11:09:06 AM by ts »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.296 seconds with 129 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com