Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Who repairs Nakamichi cassette decks nowadays?  (Read 56139 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Who repairs Nakamichi cassette decks nowadays?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2018, 03:38:41 PM »
These prices are so crazy. I bought my CR-2A sometime in the early 00's off Craigslist for $35. No one wanted them then.

It may be that the CR-2A is not that sought after.  It is not a three head deck.

That may be the case but as happens in the world of reselling sometimes a great product goes unnoticed perhaps because the printed specs do not tell the whole story. I have the CR-2A (2 head) and the CR-3A (3 head). They both sound and work great. The 3A though with auto stop is a little temperamental with stopping occasionally on an old cassette, and most of my cassettes are old or older but the 2A is just a workhorse that never seems to wear down or have issues. True it does not have all the fine tuning, but it does the job.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 04:18:36 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2018, 01:35:42 PM »

P.S.: I just wrote to "Pro Digital Inc." ... just three hours away via Amtrak ...

I had mentioned Pro Digital earlier in this thread.  I am planning to bring my CR-7A to them when I have a couple hundred bucks to spare.  Please keep us (me) informed how things go with them.  I've used them in the past for other things, and have been very happy with their work, and they were fair with their prices.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2018, 04:21:59 AM »
nak700s, will do.

dallman, the preference for three-head decks isn't only because they allow "live" monitoring while recording. The optimal gap width for a record head and for a playback head are different; any two-head deck is a compromise from the start. Separate record and playback heads can each to be optimized for best frequency response (especially at low frequencies) and dynamic range (especially at high frequencies).

Furthermore, the procedure for adjusting any tape deck for recording on a specific type of tape is FAR more efficient and straightforward if the deck allows monitoring while recording. It's an almost unbelievable PITA to adjust the record bias on a two-head deck; you have to estimate, record test tones, rewind, play them back and measure them, then repeat the process until the adjustments converge on the result that you want. With a three-head deck you simply monitor the output while adjusting the bias "in real time"--allowing a slight delay for the time it takes the tape to travel from the record head to the playback head.

--best regards
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:13:12 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »
nak700s, will do.

dallman, the preference for three-head decks isn't only because they allow "live" monitoring while recording. The optimum gap width for a record head and for a playback head are different; any two-head deck is a compromise from the start. Separate record and playback heads can each to be optimized for best frequency response (especially at low frequencies) and dynamic range (especially at high frequencies).

Furthermore, the procedure for adjusting any tape deck for recording on a specific type of tape is FAR more efficient and straightforward if the deck allows monitoring while recording. It's an almost unbelievable PITA to adjust the record bias on a two-head deck; you have to estimate, record test tones, rewind, play them back and measure them, then repeat the process until the adjustments converge on the result that you want. With a three-head deck you simply monitor the output while adjusting the bias "in real time"--allowing a slight delay for the time it takes the tape to travel from the record head to the playback head.

--best regards
All of which brings me back to the days I was making cassette after cassette. It was rewarding work though...
 ;D
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »
I love It when a plan comes together, or in this case, falls into my lap.  Yesterday I saw an add on facebook in a group I'm in regarding stereo repair, which specifically mentioned cassette recorder repair.  I commented asking about their experience with Nakamichi decks, to which I got a reply saying they have repaired 100's of them.  I still need to speak to them, but did mention the CR-7A that I have, with a brief description of the problem.  They seem legit so far, but I'll feel them out before dealing with them.  They are located in Huntington, NY (Long Island).  I will report back here either way...  Let's hope it's a good, reliable and fair priced outlet for us. 
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Simple & Sweet!

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »
My CR-7A is in for repair now.  Once completed, I'll check everything out and report back.  The guy that does the repairs gave me a good feeling...and seems to know his shit.  He also has a lot of nice equipment in his shop, so he must be trusted by others as well.  My quote was just under $200, which is certainly worth it if he does a good job.  I'll let ya'll know when I do.  Hopefully, we will all have a good place to go to on the east coast.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2018, 01:21:21 AM »
Thank you--I will watch for your follow-up posting, and I certainly hope that your repair goes well.

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2018, 01:05:53 PM »
Thank you--I will watch for your follow-up posting, and I certainly hope that your repair goes well.

You and me both!!  I should be picking it up tomorrow (it's ready, but I don't want it sitting in my car all day while I'm at work, so I'm waiting till the weekend).
Simple & Sweet!

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2018, 12:52:53 PM »
Charlie Miller has been using my CR-7A for over a year and it sounds like he has a guy there in the San Diego area that does repairs on Naks. 

When he first had issues with the CR-7A we did a trip up to Willy but now before returning it he is taking it to his local guy to have it cleaned and aligned first.  I can ask him who it is if anyone is in Southern California.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2018, 04:08:47 PM »
OK folks, the moment you (and I) have been waiting for...

Success!  My CR-7A was repaired to my satisfaction, including keeping it completely scar free (yes, I'm neurotic about my equipment being scratch free).  I checked it out in his shop, and all functions were working as they should be.  Additionally, he was able to get the cassette that was stuck inside out without any damage to it or the machine (I really didn't think that would be a problem, but thought I'd mention it anyway).  In fact, he checked out the music, correctly identifying it as a Yes concert...telling me how great the recording sounded.  Of course I had to mention that to you guys...because when I said thank you, he looked at me funny, so I told him I recorded it.  He was floored, commenting that he thought I recorded it off the radio.  He was blown away, asking me what I used and how I did it.  Fun times!

Anyway, the moral of the story is, he's nice, fair and did a good job in a timely fashion.  His name is Juan.  He is familiar with Herman, and can't understand why he has such a long wait time to repair the decks.  I will use him again for other things that I need repaired, and recommend him for those who live in the northeast, or doesn't mind shipping.  Please mention my name (Joel), I'd like him to know that I recommended you if you choose to use him.  Additionally, and very notable, he apparently buys used units, brings them up to spec, and sells them.  He has a beautiful Nak deck that he showed me that he will be working on when he finishes up with his work load, and then selling.  I asked him to let me know when it's repaired so I can tell others (you guys).  He also works on reel to reels, amps, pre amps, instrument amplifiers, etc.

As a point of interest: He charges a $20 fee to look at the item, and will apply that fee to the repair should you decide to have him repair it after he gives you the estimate.  Mine cost me under $200, so I'm a happy camper.

His info is:

Stereo Repair World
2050 New York Ave.
Huntington Station, NY 11746

(631) 697-5850

PS: When I was there bringing in the deck, he had an old acoustic guitar he just happened to have...not a common thing for him.  I was looking for a beater, and ended up buying it.  Cheap!  Well, after cleaning it up and doing a few adjustments, I have a great acoustic that I can turn around for between $300 - $350 if I wanted to.  OK, I won't beat on it, because it's in amazing shape and sounds great, but I paid $30 for it...so he clearly isn't looking things up and trying to gouge his customers.  Like I said, he's a nice, fair guy.  :cheers:

Simple & Sweet!

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »
How much as the final bill for the deck repair - and what did he repair (only cleaning and alignment)?

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2018, 06:32:30 PM »
How much as the final bill for the deck repair - and what did he repair (only cleaning and alignment)?

It came to $195.00.  I'm still at work and the bill's at home, but it was cleaned/demagnetized/conditioned thoroughly and something about capacitors or some such electronically controlling things needed to be replaced.  I think he replaced the belt too. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:34:43 PM by nak700s »
Simple & Sweet!

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2018, 06:59:53 PM »
thanks for the heads up. been watching this thread.

we have a few that need looking at

oh any idea if he works on DAT players ?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:01:28 PM by kindms »
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2018, 07:05:58 PM »
thanks for the heads up. been watching this thread.

we have a few that need looking at

oh any idea if he works on DAT players ?

I'm happy with the results, and in my opinion, the CR-7A speaks for itself.  If he could take good care of that, he can probably take good care of most things.  Please tell him that Joel sent you :-)
Simple & Sweet!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2018, 08:25:10 PM »
Will do. The shop appears to be open 10-5 Tuesday through Saturday, and it's not far from the Huntington train station on the LIRR. I'll get the injured Dragon out of my storage room and give the gentleman a call soon.

Many thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com