Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Who repairs Nakamichi cassette decks nowadays?  (Read 56155 times)

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Who repairs Nakamichi cassette decks nowadays?
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2018, 12:50:20 PM »
Will do. The shop appears to be open 10-5 Tuesday through Saturday, and it's not far from the Huntington train station on the LIRR. I'll get the injured Dragon out of my storage room and give the gentleman a call soon.

Many thanks!

Saturday they are opened from 10 - 1.
Before digging out the Dragon, call first!  That is the one deck that parts are largely unavailable for.  If you can give him an idea of what's wrong with it, I'd think he could at least give you a better idea if he could repair it.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2018, 03:34:43 PM »
Now, I think that the ZX-7 that Willy tuned up for me in 2009 needs some TLC.  All the lights etc work fine but I just went to play some old bluegrass cassettes to digitize and I notice that the meters on the deck are showing low left and high right.  That is also what is output on the back of the deck but the headphones sounded balanced. 

For giggles, I hooked up the headphone output to my digital recorder and can confirm it is much different than what I see on the meters or hear coming out of the rear output.

Ugh.  Email sent to Willy to see if he'll give me some love for being a long time customer.  I hope the CR-7A makes its way home soon.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2018, 04:01:26 PM »

I cleverly waited 30 years to start worrying about digitizing my (hundreds of ) cassette masters until a couple of years ago. I discovered my D10 Pro's transport was dead and my Sony home died shortly thereafter. I'm telling you this because it lead me on a search for a decent deck and I was amazed at how hard it was to find good decks, especially without paying a fortune. I talked to ESL (I think it was ESL) and CR7a's were like $1750+ (Dragons were like $3500). I'm not surprised at all that these guys are charging a lot for service or that they have such long wait times. I finally found a a DR-1 for a somewhat reasonable cost.

There is a group on FB - with a lot of people obsessed with Cassette Decks -  and it's a great resource for help repairing decks...

If you can pick up a Nak DR-10, that would be a better one to use than the DR-1.  I mistakenly bought a DR-8 when they came out because I wanted to save a few bucks.  Furthermore, the repair place that I went to has a Nak deck there that he bought to repair and sell.  If you still have old cassette masters to transfer, I would recommend buying it.  At this stage of the game, we need the azimuth control, which most decks lack.  That one has it.  I posted all his info above, and if you live in the Long Island area, you may want to consider checking it out.

...Tell him that Joel recommended that you go to him.  I'm doing my best to set it up that he takes care of me and my peeps with our repairs, by explaining that we all have high end stereo needs as well as a lot of potential business if he's fair with us.  I felt he was fair with me, and I will be bringing him more of my equipment shortly.  Let's all build a good relationship with a local guy who does good work!
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Simple & Sweet!

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2018, 05:11:49 PM »
If anyone likes a few mastertapes transferred, get in touch. I have a hungry Nakamichi CR-7 connected to a Tascam DA-3000. Located in The Netherlands.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2018, 01:56:51 PM »
I just had e-mail correspondence with Willie Hermann last week about repairing my Nak 680ZX. He is on about a 9 month waiting list, mentioned he would want to do a full service which would run $500 - $600. Seems expensive, but this deck is going for up to $1500 on ebay so I'm on his waiting list for repair. Need to get my analog masters transferred.

http://www.willyhermannservices.com/

I communicated with Willy and can confirm the purported 9-month wait list but the good news is that he does not make previous customers wait through that list.  He has fixed a ZX-7, CR-5A, and a CR-7A for me in the past.

I'll hand carry him my ZX-7 next week.  He is worth the high price as that same ZX-7 played like a diamond for over 9 years since he last serviced it.  I pounded 100's and 100's of old dusty bluegrass tapes through that thing.
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2018, 10:26:18 AM »
If anyone likes a few mastertapes transferred, get in touch. I have a hungry Nakamichi CR-7 connected to a Tascam DA-3000. Located in The Netherlands.

Thank you for the great tapetransfers!
A few of the concerts now up on Dime!
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2018, 02:05:11 PM »
I just had e-mail correspondence with Willie Hermann last week about repairing my Nak 680ZX. He is on about a 9 month waiting list, mentioned he would want to do a full service which would run $500 - $600. Seems expensive, but this deck is going for up to $1500 on ebay so I'm on his waiting list for repair. Need to get my analog masters transferred.

I communicated with Willy and can confirm the purported 9-month wait list but the good news is that he does not make previous customers wait through that list.  He has fixed a ZX-7, CR-5A, and a CR-7A for me in the past.

I'll hand carry him my ZX-7 next week.  He is worth the high price as that same ZX-7 played like a diamond for over 9 years since he last serviced it.  I pounded 100's and 100's of old dusty bluegrass tapes through that thing.

I have no doubt, based on reputation, that Willie Hermann does a wonderful job on Nak decks, but to be placed on a 9 month waiting list is insane.  When I need something fixed, I need it in a reasonable amount of time, and that 9 months is only the amount of time it'll take him to look at it, much less repair it.  As mentioned above, I found a guy that knows Nak decks and I brought him my CR-7A, which he fixed for me without issue, and was ready for pick-up in 1 week after dropping it off to him.  He is located on Long Island, so that may not be as convenient, depending on where you're located, but if you're shipping it, then it won't make much of a difference.  Below is his name, address & phone number.  Please tell him Joel sent you, as I am developing a relationship with him to take care of all of us with our Nakamichi repair needs, and he seems to be kind on the cost.

Juan
Stereo Repair World
2050 New York Ave.
Huntington Station, NY 11746
(631) 697-5850
Simple & Sweet!

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2018, 11:53:17 AM »

I have no doubt, based on reputation, that Willie Hermann does a wonderful job on Nak decks, but to be placed on a 9 month waiting list is insane.  When I need something fixed, I need it in a reasonable amount of time, and that 9 months is only the amount of time it'll take him to look at it, much less repair it.  As mentioned above, I found a guy that knows Nak decks and I brought him my CR-7A, which he fixed for me without issue, and was ready for pick-up in 1 week after dropping it off to him.  He is located on Long Island, so that may not be as convenient, depending on where you're located, but if you're shipping it, then it won't make much of a difference.  Below is his name, address & phone number.  Please tell him Joel sent you, as I am developing a relationship with him to take care of all of us with our Nakamichi repair needs, and he seems to be kind on the cost.

Juan
Stereo Repair World
2050 New York Ave.
(631) 697-5850

I get it.  I was just starting on a big project when I noticed mine going bad.

I called Paradyme (local shop) and they have a 6-week lead time.  Willy said he would slide me ahead in his queue and I know he will have in done quickly.  I don't ship decks if I can avoid it and WHS is a 90-minute drive.  The ZX-7 is in his shop as of yesterday afternoon. 

I'm glad that folks in the New York area have a solid option with Juan at Stereo World.  People can also use Classic Audio Repair in San Diego which is the place Charlie carries Naks too. 

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2018, 02:46:06 AM »

Thank you for the great tapetransfers!
A few of the concerts now up on Dime!

Great Danne! Pleasure to do this for you!
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »

Juan
Stereo Repair World
2050 New York Ave.
(631) 697-5850

I get it.  I was just starting on a big project when I noticed mine going bad.

I called Paradyme (local shop) and they have a 6-week lead time.  Willy said he would slide me ahead in his queue and I know he will have in done quickly.  I don't ship decks if I can avoid it and WHS is a 90-minute drive.  The ZX-7 is in his shop as of yesterday afternoon. 

I'm glad that folks in the New York area have a solid option with Juan at Stereo World.  People can also use Classic Audio Repair in San Diego which is the place Charlie carries Naks too.

I didn't know where you were located.  Certainly, if you live on the west coast, you should find a place there.  New Yorkers, such as myself, have been looking for a place, since so many have closed or don't repair our high end cassette decks anymore.  I think with the resurgence of cassettes, more will pop up, but whether they can and will work on Nakamichi's is another story.  I was grateful to find someone familiar with them and happy to do it at a fair price.
On a side note, Juan told me that manufactures are starting to produce blank cassettes again.  I'll pass on those, and still want to sell my unopened metal and chrome tapes that I found among my recorded shows.  I hear they're selling for good money now...go figure!
Simple & Sweet!

Offline neumannu47

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2018, 10:06:22 PM »
I'm going to give Juan a call. I bought a fully restored Dragon from one of the gurus mentioned in this thread, and the rewind is not working as it should. Otherwise, the Dragon is in new condition.

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2018, 12:38:34 PM »
I'm going to give Juan a call. I bought a fully restored Dragon from one of the gurus mentioned in this thread, and the rewind is not working as it should. Otherwise, the Dragon is in new condition.

Cool...please tell him that Joel sent ya.  I'm cultivating a relationship where us tapers can hit him up in volume, and he'll take good care of us in return.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2018, 01:02:00 PM »

Any recommendations on where to source Nak replacement parts? I bought two MR2 cassette decks for $5 each yesterday that are brand new. No fingerprints, never been racked, no wear at all on the heads but they wouldn't power on.

I cracked them and they both have the same problem - the power switch is cracked off inside. The plastic housing that holds the actual contacts is busted so looks like all I need is the switch maybe the mounting plate if that is permanently attached. Can't really tell until I get the faceplate off and really dig in there - I just took off the bottom plate.

Guess someone yanked on the power cords moving them around the basement for 35 years...
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2018, 03:50:18 PM »

Any recommendations on where to source Nak replacement parts? I bought two MR2 cassette decks for $5 each yesterday that are brand new. No fingerprints, never been racked, no wear at all on the heads but they wouldn't power on.

I cracked them and they both have the same problem - the power switch is cracked off inside. The plastic housing that holds the actual contacts is busted so looks like all I need is the switch maybe the mounting plate if that is permanently attached. Can't really tell until I get the faceplate off and really dig in there - I just took off the bottom plate.

Guess someone yanked on the power cords moving them around the basement for 35 years...

Give Juan a call.  Never know, and even if you have to pay for service for him to do the work, he'll check the pulleys, etc and make sure you're good to go...and at that price, you'll still be way ahead of the game.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline satchmo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2018, 10:41:21 PM »
remembered this link that may help
http://www.eslabs.com/nakamichi.htm
looks like they're still in business
mics: Schoeps MK4/Sennheiser ME-40
pres: Grace V2/Aerco MP2
a/d: Apogee Mini-me
recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6/Tascam HD-P2/Edirol R09-HR/Sony M1
cables: van den Hul/Schoeps KC

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com