Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5  (Read 124499 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2018, 11:11:25 AM »
I am now running 2.21 and the need to turn the gain knob is no longer the case. Just pushing the knob in to show the ISO track allows you to see what the gain setting is.
I am not seeing that this is the case at all. Using the settings I have, a push of the channel knob takes you to the channel control page, but does not show the level until I move the knob. Likewise, in the mode where the level meters show, a twist of the knob is required to show the level of the channel. The MixPre6 must be a quantum recorder, because its operation is affected by looking at it.

I think it changed with 2.20. I know I used to have to turn the knob, but now I only needed to press the ISO button.

just updated to 2.21 and not seeing this either.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2018, 12:47:26 PM »
I am now running 2.21 and the need to turn the gain knob is no longer the case. Just pushing the knob in to show the ISO track allows you to see what the gain setting is.
I am not seeing that this is the case at all. Using the settings I have, a push of the channel knob takes you to the channel control page, but does not show the level until I move the knob. Likewise, in the mode where the level meters show, a twist of the knob is required to show the level of the channel. The MixPre6 must be a quantum recorder, because its operation is affected by looking at it.

I think it changed with 2.20. I know I used to have to turn the knob, but now I only needed to press the ISO button.

just updated to 2.21 and not seeing this either.
I'll see if I can take a picture tonight. It is at the top left of the screen.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2018, 12:50:17 PM »

I'll see if I can take a picture tonight. It is at the top left of the screen.

got it!  I have my channels labeled (ak40l, ak40r etc) so for me the db just flashes for a second and then shows the label.  when you go back to main screen it also shows for a split second.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2018, 01:52:13 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but phase and polarity would (sort of) be referring to the same thing for a perfect sinusoidal wave.
Well, this is why it's confusing. It LOOKS the same but it's only the same when you're doing math on paper, or on your oscilloscope, not in the field.

A sine wave shifted 180 degrees looks the same as one which has its relative polarity inverted. But it's not the same signal, in real life.

MATH TIME, ignore if you want.

Example: a sine wave at 100 Hz has a half wave period of 1/200 second, or 0.005 sec, or 5 ms. If you delay a 100 Hz sine wave 5 ms, and add it to the original at the same level, you should get 100% cancellation.
But now your signal is delayed, by 180 degrees of phase, which is 5ms for a 100 Hz wave. Not really the same signal.

Anyhow. When you speak of phase, there are a lot more degrees of it than just 0 and 180, and a LOT MORE MATH.

When you actually want to invert polarity, without delaying a signal at a certain frequency, you (and SD!) should just label the function POLARITY and not phase. Especially if you can remedy it in firmware! Those fancy hardware boxes from B&H can't get a new paint job over the internet!!!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2018, 11:33:57 PM »
i want to see a mixpre vs. Grace V3 comp.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2018, 09:13:14 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but phase and polarity would (sort of) be referring to the same thing for a perfect sinusoidal wave.
Well, this is why it's confusing. It LOOKS the same but it's only the same when you're doing math on paper, or on your oscilloscope, not in the field.

A sine wave shifted 180 degrees looks the same as one which has its relative polarity inverted. But it's not the same signal, in real life.

MATH TIME, ignore if you want.

Example: a sine wave at 100 Hz has a half wave period of 1/200 second, or 0.005 sec, or 5 ms. If you delay a 100 Hz sine wave 5 ms, and add it to the original at the same level, you should get 100% cancellation.
But now your signal is delayed, by 180 degrees of phase, which is 5ms for a 100 Hz wave. Not really the same signal.

Anyhow. When you speak of phase, there are a lot more degrees of it than just 0 and 180, and a LOT MORE MATH.

When you actually want to invert polarity, without delaying a signal at a certain frequency, you (and SD!) should just label the function POLARITY and not phase. Especially if you can remedy it in firmware! Those fancy hardware boxes from B&H can't get a new paint job over the internet!!!

+T morst

Truth
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 01:12:11 PM »
So will the 3M handle a 2 channel SBD feed via Aux in while running mic in on channels 1 and 2? Also, these are $100 cheaper than their predecessors, but SD is offering a plug-in for $99 which turns your existing 3 or 6 into a M. :hmmm:

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2018, 01:29:02 PM »
So will the 3M handle a 2 channel SBD feed via Aux in while running mic in on channels 1 and 2? Also, these are $100 cheaper than their predecessors, but SD is offering a plug-in for $99 which turns your existing 3 or 6 into a M. :hmmm:

No. The 3M is three input. XLR only, no bluetooth/Wingman, no m/s encoding...

http://cdn.sounddevices.com/download/lit/MixPreMegaComparisonChart.pdf
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2018, 03:17:46 PM »

https://www.sounddevices.com/images/products/MixPre-3MRightPanel-web.png

Looks like it has an aux/mic input to me, and if I’m reading that chart correctly that can be two channels.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2018, 03:26:14 PM »
From the manual for the MixPre-3m: "The MixPre-3M lets you record up to three tracks at once from either the three
XLR inputs, Aux in connectors, or USB inputs."
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2018, 06:55:45 PM »
I'm sorry,I can see how my XLR comment was misinterpreted - I was actually referring to the fact that they replaced the combo inputs with XLRs only.. You can only record three channels at a time as heathens comment reflects...

The plugin also appears to supplement the 3/6 with the m features rather than replacing them. Based on the video they released, after installing the plugin on a 3/6, you create a project and that project can use the traditional 3/6 firmware feature set or the new plugin features...

https://www.sounddevices.com/images/products/MixPre-3MRightPanel-web.png

Looks like it has an aux/mic input to me, and if I’m reading that chart correctly that can be two channels.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:01:49 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2018, 02:24:25 AM »
I'm sorry,I can see how my XLR comment was misinterpreted - I was actually referring to the fact that they replaced the combo inputs with XLRs only.

MixPre 3 was always XLR only. MixPre 6 and 10 have combo inputs
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline JM Charcot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2018, 06:52:06 AM »
I asked Sound Devices, but maybe someone knows here, or has already used it, if I buy the musician plugin for my Mixpre-3, will it act after only as a Mixpre-3M, or will I still be able to use it also as a Mixpre-3 when recording in the field?

Kind regards,

JM.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2018, 09:41:38 AM »
I'm sorry,I can see how my XLR comment was misinterpreted - I was actually referring to the fact that they replaced the combo inputs with XLRs only.

MixPre 3 was always XLR only. MixPre 6 and 10 have combo inputs

I didn't realize that. Thanks...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com