Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: can DPA d:vice be made to run other mics or take line in?  (Read 3201 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
can DPA d:vice be made to run other mics or take line in?
« on: June 06, 2018, 03:09:01 PM »
is it possible to decouple the (presumably 5V) bias voltage from the 2-wire input power and either
a) disregard it
b) use it to power a 3-wire mic like schoeps cmr

i love the d:vice and the fact that it can run full size 4011s but i dont want to invest 3 grand in a 4011+MMP actives when i already have both CMR and n-bob actives and schoeps caps

can one of you crafty cable guys make an equivalent of the MMP actives (microdot to +48-60V) for schoeps caps? i believe that the schoeps caps are true condenser and the full sized dpas are electret condenser so that may be an issue. i could be totally wrong there tho

as far as simply decoupling, apparently it is a thing but im not sure how i would spec a decoupling cap to preserve audio quality
http://blog.shure.com/shure-tech-tip-phantom-power-vs-bias-voltage/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 02:05:33 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: can DPA d:vice be made to run other mics or take line in?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 08:53:51 AM »
Old thread, good question.

I presume option a) would be possible and relatively simple, incorporating a simple battery box circuit.  Option b) will require the generation of sufficient polarization voltage.  Easiest route that way might be a) + baby Nbox as separate ADC and powering devices.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com