Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Simple questions about upgrading SP mics  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Simple questions about upgrading SP mics
« on: July 31, 2018, 06:10:52 PM »
Hello my dear friends,

Two simple questions at this time.

Question 1: Has anyone compared the results between SP-CM-8 (omni) and HLSO micro (MM)? I've been making great recordings using this miniature wonder (HLSO) but I've been thinking of buying SP-CM-8 omni elements.

Question 2: Many friends around here praise the combination SP-CM-8> adapter> SP-CMC-4U cards. Are the results really compensatory or would it just be a lateral move?

All advice and answers will be warmly welcomed  :)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Simple questions about upgrading SP mics
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 06:28:27 PM »
I have an extra pair of AT-ADAPTERS and also a pair of AT853 Card and Omni caps available if you decide to go that route.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 06:48:23 PM »
I have an extra pair of AT-ADAPTERS and also a pair of AT853 Card and Omni caps available if you decide to go that route.

Hey, friend, thank you. Yes, there is a great possibility  :). How do they sound? I've only read compliments about them. I'll send you a message. All right? Thanks again

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 05:22:57 PM »
Soundwise, I'm not sure CMC-8's would be an upgrade over your HLSO's.

Pricewise, it could be considered as an upgrade if you want to keep playing in the same league but be able to switch from omnis to cardioid caps.

If you want to improve the sound or your tapes and keep using omnis, you'll have to consider buying a set of Countryman B3's (4.7k modded) or DPA 4061's. But I'm not sure the price gap will be justified as those Sennheiser caps are pretty good sounding to me.

HLSx's were killer mics for their price. They both needed the 4.7k mod. But after that, they were hard to beat in their range of price IMHO.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:20:21 AM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 12:05:04 PM »
Soundwise, I'm not sure CMC-8's would be an upgrade over your HLSO's.

Pricewise, it could be considered as an upgrade if you want to keep playing in the same league but be able to switch from omnis to cardioid caps.

If you want to improve the sound or your tapes and keep using omnis, you'll have to consider buying a set of Countryman B3's (4.7k modded) or DPA 4061's. But I'm not sure the price gap will be justified as those Sennheiser caps are pretty good sounding to me.

HLSx's were killer mics for their price. They both needed the 4.7k mod. But after that, they were hard to beat in their range of price IMHO.

Hi, thanks for the tips. To my ears, the CMC-8's sound more natural than the HLSO's (but those are great mics anyway!)
I totally agree with you on the Sennheisers: amazing sounding mics!
What I was thinking: AT-ADAPTERS and a pair of AT853 Cards with my CMC-8's (I'm told they sound better than de CMC-8 cards).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com